Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replace my clutch this wkend and I'm not really sure what oils to use , I have always used a Mitsubishi main dealership for service but I want to do the clutch myself I just want to be sure I have the right spec oils for all transmission any tips and advise would be great?!?!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Do you have the capability to bleed the AYC system yourself afterwards? One of the bolts you need to remove sits right behing a metal AYC pipe so you have to break into the system for removal.

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Do you have the capability to bleed the AYC system yourself afterwards? One of the bolts you need to remove sits right behing a metal AYC pipe so you have to break into the system for removal.
I take it you mean ACD, not AYC?

You can easily bleed the ACD by pressing the throttle fully down with the ignition turned to position 1, which runs the hydraulic pump for around 15-20 secs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it you mean ACD, not AYC?

You can easily bleed the ACD by pressing the throttle fully down with the ignition turned to position 1, which runs the hydraulic pump for around 15-20 secs.
I found that out by accident when I first bought the car and got the three lights of death!!( like Xbox on wheels ) Had to change the pump :( only had the car a month, been perfect ever since never missed a beat until clutch ( I was driving bad that day )!!

I am a very experienced mechanic/technician I'm sure I can handle the job! (with a little help from a friend ) I did look around locally for prices totally over the top mmc ralliart main dealer wanted over £1400 to do it !!! Local trusted garage way to busy, I have sourced a clutch kit and had a real result so I will save a lot of money to do it myself.... plus I don't really trust anyone to do major work on my prize possession service ok stamp in the book is all I pay for really !!I do service it more than it requires and I want to do the clutch myself does look like a pain in the arse but I like a challenge.. so back to my 1st question what brand oils do you guys recommend for gbox, transfer box, and rear diff, ?? And am I right in saying that I need lsd oil in the transfer box .. ?

·
Premium Member
20,559 Posts
LSD gear oil for transfer box because of the ACD
75/90 for gearbox
Same as gearoil for rear diff
ayc /atf oil for AYC clutch bath
Brands are many , Opie oils can recommend for thee :)

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
so back to my 1st question what brand oils do you guys recommend for gbox, transfer box, and rear diff, ?? And am I right in saying that I need lsd oil in the transfer box .. ?
I personally recommend Millers CRX 75w90 NT for the gearbox and CRX LS 75w90 NT for the transfer box and 'diff' part of the SAYC differential (left hand casing)

If replacing the AYC fluid in the diff, (right hand casing) use a good quality ATF SPIII fluid, I use Millermatic SPIII.

Have a look at the sticky I wrote for oil quantities required here

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Any good quality 75w90 oil will do the job. Among others I like redline and motul, millers is also good.

The first time I changed the clutch on the evo was in 2005 on two jack stands, it took me around five days, Monday morning to late Friday night. I've only put a couple of hours each day on it as that was the only free time I had, including opening and stripping the gearbox for some personal re-adjustments and work on it to smooth out the moment of inertia and thrust loading effect.

If one has the space, time, tools, is good with his hands and feels like it, it goes without saying one should do it himself.

Marios

Reactions: Jon B

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank guys I will update when I've got the job done ������

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,801 Posts
Any good quality 75w90 oil will do the job. Among others I like redline and motul, millers is also good
Not correct, any good quality 75w90 will not do the job. Some will cause damage to the transfer box and rear diff CWP.

For the transfer box and rear diff, the minimum spec used should be a GL5 oil. A good quality 75w90 GL4 spec oil won't give the correct protection and will risk damage.

For the gearbox, minimum spec a GL4 oil.

The Millers I recommended is a GL4/5 oil so ok for both, as per my sticky post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts