Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came back yesterday to find a nice little fixed penalty and untaxed vehicle notice from mr plod on my car. I have a couple of problems with this but heres the info.

I went to the police station to clarify the error as my car is taxed-DVLA took money etc from account-checked the PNC and it came back that I dont hold a valid VEL-rand DVLA and they told me as far as theyre concerned the car is taxed and the police report will be binned as its DVLA error.

I never received my tax disc last time so something has obviously gone awry within the system- I know they can do me for not displaying but I work away and honestly forgot to chase it up.

My main Peeve is a Fixed Penalty for my number plate being the wrong size, surely this is a warning/you have 7 days to rectify this whilst producing documents?? As far as im aware its a vehicle defect rather than a straight offence.

The bloke in the police station told me in no uncertain terms that as im driving an Evo I will attract more police attention and therefore they will scrutinise my car more to look for issues.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of thing and whether I can challenge it?

·
Profound thinker
6,383 Posts
What "size" is your number plate???

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
size

I dont know exactly...bought the car with it on-cant be too far off though and cant measure it atm as in work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's a straight up offence for the number plate and can be dealt with by either a vehicle defect notice or a fixed penalty. My advice is pay the fine and replace the number plate.

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
It's a straight up offence for the number plate and can be dealt with by either a vehicle defect notice or a fixed penalty. My advice is pay the fine and replace the number plate.
I'd caveat that with first check the plate for the fault and ensure it is actually illegal.

Imports can use a smaller font if the car does not have wholetype approval and is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the usual requirements.

I believe all the Evos except the VIII 260 and the Xs meet these requirements.

The full rules are here:

Dept. of Transport said:
Size and spacing of characters: special cases
14A. - (1) This regulation applies in relation to any vehicle imported into the United Kingdom which -

(a) does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval; and

(b) is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

(2) In relation to a vehicle to which this regulation applies -

(a) each character in the registration mark must be 64 millimetres high;

(b) the width of each character of the mark, other than the letter "I" and the figure "1", must be 44 millimetres;

(c) the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a mark must be 10 millimetres;

(d) the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10 millimetres;

(e) the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5 millimetres;

(f) the width of a margin between the mark and the top and lateral sides of the registration plate must be not less than 5 millimetres;

(g) the space between the bottom of the mark and the bottom of the registration plate must be not less than 13 millimetres; but, within that space, the space between the bottom of the mark and the top of the name and postcode of the person by whom the plate was supplied must be not less than 5 millimetres."[3]
Taken from here:

Statutory Instrument 2002 No. 2687

·
Registered
721 Posts
If your plate is illegal, its either a VDRS (Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme) which gives you 14 days to put it right and have it approved by an approved MOT station (that can cost you too) or a straight fine (£30 last time I got one). Its non indorsable (you don't get points), just the £30 smack in the face!
I'd do some research on your plate, size etc, and make sure it is illegal cos if not, don't pay. I aint up to scratch on current legislation, but I know my Evo front plate has smaller letters than standard one's, but its legal for some reason.
Doubt they will do you for failing to display tax disc, so I wouldn't worry about the tax issue if you have paid. If you have paid, and haven't recieved your disc, how can you display it! Stick up for yourself, don't let them take the p1$$!
Good Luck.

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Notice the font on the plate on the middle Evo (it's a IX= import sized font, the lefthand one is an VIII 260 = full sized font and the righthand one an X = full sized font), the reasons for it are given in my post above.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
we had a 4 with a small centre plate and got pulled a few times,we had to explain that it came like that when imported and any bigger it would interfere with the cooling system ie the intercooler,we had a print out off the dvla site to back this up

will look for the link

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!!!!

I wasnt sure about the intricities of it all to be honest...

Must have been a nice jobsworth to have done me for it though!! Il get a measuring when I finish work!!!:smthumbup

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
One thing to bear in mind though,they don't like being told they are wrong even if they are wrong.
May be better to just pay and have done with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.