Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum and as a mark IV Golf R32 owner, you may think I'm a bit confused but let me explain.
I am soon to sell my R32 (awesome car, if anyone might be interested let me know) and am planning to buy an Evo!
I'm looking for advice and opinions on what I should go for, either the 8 - 260 (I quite like the smaller spoiler on this car and have driven one a couple of times) or 8 - 300? :confused:

Thanks,

Les.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
VIII FQ 300 - best Evo on the roads :crackup:

Would need to know a bit more about what you're looking for from it, what you plan to do with it, what your budget is etc before could really advise you properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will be using the car every day Tim. I'm looking for performance above all but need AWD (weather can be bad occasionaly here) and decent boot space for golf clubs. Planning to spend about £16k on the car. Will not use the car for track days as that's not my thing. I'd rather drive someone elses car round a track. I do want something pretty quick though, hense looking at the evo's.
:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
If its performance...

... then really got to be the 300, or you may even get an MR 320 now for that price? :D

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
£16k is a good budget, get yourself into the Cars for Sale section on here, that way you know you're getting something that has been loved. And if you're really anal you can read the posts by the user to see if they come across as a decent sort (i did this when i bought mine from the site).

If you're not planning to tune the car (you will do though, everyone does) then get as powerful as your budget will let you, but if you're planning to mod it then you may as well go for the 260 because you'll save plenty and can get it up to 350bhp without that much of an investment - compared to what you'll be saving in the purchase i mean.

Hope some of this helps bud :)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Oh and if you like the 260 spoiler, but decide to go down the route of buying a FQ or MR car, i'm sure you could get a 260 spoiler for peanuts as most 260 owners buy the big spoiler as one of their first mods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your right enough about the spoiler but if I buy the 300 I would keep the original in place. I must be the only person who likes the smaller wing, I think it's about "wolf in sheeps clothing"!
If I am able to get a decent FQ 300 for £16k then that looks like the option.
Does anyone have anything to say about the 260, I genuinely enjoyed driving it and whilst it can't match the other FQ models for pace, it's still no slouch surely?

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
my first evo was the 260 and i would have another one.your in a good place to own a 260 as russ at wallace performance does some very nice work tuning them.some very nice tuned 260's have recently sold for under 14000.these have already had the exhaust, induction mods and ecutek remaps.should be able to find a very nice 260 for your money with good change back.look in the cars forsale section on here.best place to find what you want plus history on the car and owner.good luck and good choice.God bless.

·
Registered
31 Posts
r32

hi les could you tell me more about the r32 i have an evo8 fq300
i was thinking of selling . i am a bit of a golf nut also i live in the north of scotland.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding guys (off line over the weekend) & thanks for the info. I am a little undecided again with the comments on the 260 now. I always liked the 260 because I felt it was a car I could use day to day more than the fq models!

On the R32: It has done 46k on a 53 plate (Sep' 03) and I have her booked in for a service a week on Wednesday, it has a full service history. It is taxed till end Aug' and mot'd till Sep'. Tyres (on 18" alloys / Mich' pilot sports - £125 a corner) were changed about 3 months ago and have plenty of wear in them yet. I will probably replace the front discs (334mm!) and pads before I sell it (£500). 6sp manual box. The car has a full black leather interior & is pearlescent blue in colour. 6 airbags Uprated stereo system from VW with six disc cd changer in the boot. Electric windows, mirrors and sunroof. Heated seats / mirrors, pas, abs, switchable esp, 4motion all wheel drive, cruise control, electrochromatic rear view mirror, 3.2 V6 with 237bhp & 236lbs of torque, sounds great, very quick but not compared to the fq 300 obviously. What it lacks in outright pace it makes up for in luxury! Front bumper is stone chipped and can easily be resprayed otherwise in beautiful condition. Looking for around £15,750 for her and will negotiate a bit on this. TR30 road safety system hard wired into car and will negotiate a price to leave this in, cost £384 a year ago and have recently renewed the subscription for three years at a cost of £100. Car looks great (much better than new mark V's) and is completely standard spec', insurance group 18.

Drop me some info on your 300 please?

If you need any other info or pictures let me know?

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Re: r32

redrapper said:
hi les could you tell me more about the r32 i have an evo8 fq300
i was thinking of selling . i am a bit of a golf nut also i live in the north of scotland.
Hello,mate

Sorry for barging into the thread,but I also stay in the North of Scotland(Alness,not that thats anything to be proud of!!!!)
My father and I are also into our Golfs.
He bought an R32 a few months ago.I was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove.It really corners well,but in my opinion,it needs more power!!!
The build quality is brilliant and it feels like a limo,after being in my stripped out RS!!
I would definetly have an R32,but like I said,it would have to have a turbo,or supercharger bolted onto it!

Chris :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Christopher, you are absolutely correct and interestingly enough there are a number of upgrades available. Apparently the 3.2 V6 is good for tuning to over 500bhp. There is a very good upgrade, with a turbo, to 350bhp available! Put the question to your dad, you never know he may like the sound of it.....literally!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Hes already moaning at the fuel consumption,so I think a turbo is out of the question!!
He had a turbo diesel before that.I dont think he thought the MPG would be as bad as it is.
I told him never to buy an Evo,if he thinks 26MPG is bad!!
I think he will be going for the GT TDI in the summer.
I saw a supercharged R32 on Pistoneads a couple of weeks ago.380hp and 400 torque.Thats more like it! :coolsm:
Chris :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Supercharged V6, sounds great!

MPG sounds bang on but if I am in a hurry to get home that will drop to 22 - 24 mpg, pretty good for such a large unit. I'm looking forward to getting 18 mpg and further warming our climate.... don't know what all the fuss is about, if we emit enough CO2 into the atmosphere we won't need to use our central heating as much so off-setting the emissions. The water will need to rise some way before it gets me and the AWD on the Evo will handle any puddles I come across... sorted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi les i could send photos of the car but dont know how to do it
on here i dont understand it. anyway it is an fq300 in red with 13000 miles on it it is a 2003 car. i have lowered the car and is running on 18" rota five spoke wheels, the car is in as new condition and looks fantastic i wish i could post up photos on here if anybody could help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts