Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've recently fallen back in to Evo ownership having bought a lovely White IX GT Wagon. It's a 5 speed manual in White and is currently running 550hp. The car has a fully built engine, radium fuel system, Haltech ECU and is specced up for 600hp ish. I am sending the car to Evotune next week and Jamie is going to map her up on Haltech and advise on the upgrade path to go 650 / 700. He's suggested going to 2.3 and changing the Turbo, I just wondered if anyone has feedback on what will be the least laggy / least boost needed to run this level of power. I'm currently a GTR owner and have done a lot of research into those cars, but have been out of the saddle wrt Evo ownership for a number of years, so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mita. I believe it's capable of running 600 on the current setup but it's a little too far for my liking on a 2.0 litre. The current turbo is apparently quite laggy, I think Jaime suggested stroker pistons and a Precision turbo, just can't remember which one.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Full spec from previous owner... The next owner has added Radium fuel system and had a Haltech ECU and dash fitted but the company who did the work don't have a 4wd dyno and it's going to be a bit of a handful to map on the road. I decided to sort out the lag issue and go stroker at the same time as Evotune is a fair distance from me and I'd like to get it done in one hit..

"Engine

Fully forged, built by Dynotech in Jun 2015. Specced to 700hp. Included Wiesco race pistons, Bridgeway I-Beam rods, L19 ARP head & main studs, ACL bearings, Cosworth H/G, Kelford 272 cams with BC titanium springs and retainers. Engine also has AMS VSR Race intake manifold, S90 70mm throttle body, Greddy R-Spec intercooler and piping and Tial race BOV. It is mapped on Speed Density (MAP) on the stock ECU. Power is just over 550hp/450lbft at just under 2bar boost on 98 unleaded fuel. The rpm limiter is set to 8k. An uprated Mishimoto aluminium radiator has been fitted, along with silicone coolant lines. A FRP is fitted, fuel pressure is currently set to 3 bar.

Turbo setup is a full frame race spec AMS T3 single scroll kit. Turbo is a genuine Garret GTX3576R bought new from Turbozentrum-berlin at the same time of the build. It runs a 0.63 hot side and a genuine Tial F38 wastegate running two springs to a combined 1.5bar spring pressure. The manifold, turbine housing and downpipe have all been ceramic coated (ZircoTech). All boost lines are Teflon with S/S overbraid, using Speedflow connectors throughout.

The fuel system uses Walbro in tank pump with a genuine Bosch 044 motorsport in line pump and a 1 litre swirl tank. Fuel lines are AN-8 spec throughout, including to/from the tank. Injectors are ASNU 1000cc with a Radium Motorsport fuel rail and damper.

The exhaust is a straight-through 3" system from the turbo back. It is currently de-catted but a good condition catalytic converter will be provided with the car.

The cambelt was changed by Norris Designs in Dec 2012 at a mileage of 59,978.

Transmission

Fully rebuilt and blue-printed 5 speed from an Evo VIII. I did all of the work on this myself, and re-built a used gearbox from the ground up. 2/3/4/5 synchros were replaced along with all sliders/sleeves and engagement springs. 5th gear set was replaced with new RS-spec gears (lower ratio). This was done to balance out the 4-to-5 gear drop and make it completely linear in line with the other gears. A 4.11 ratio FD kit was fitted - this gives an approx. 160mph top end despite the RS 5th gear. Also, an uprated inner output shaft (Arnside Motorsport) was fitted. Stock ones tend to snap during hard launching - this one is rated up to approx. double the stock item. One other modification that is fairly unique in the UK is that the input shaft roller bearings have been replaced with taper bearings. This effectively pre-loads the input shaft and prevents any shock movement under hard launches (see Jack Transmissions for further info). I shimmed all shafts to OEM specifications using custom-ground spacers.

Clutch is an eXtreme 230mm twin plate ceramic unit, fitted in Feb 2015. This is a very tough clutch! The reinforced gearbox and twin plate clutch give this Evo the potential for seriously repeat hard launches.

The ACD pump was rebuilt by Harry Hockley Motorsport in Aug 2013. The ACD ECU has also been remapped to give more aggressive centre differential locking (as required!).

Brakes

Front brake set up is from an Evo X MR using 350mm rotors. The front discs are genuine slotted AP Racing discs and the rears are also slotted (discs are in very good condition all round). Pads front and rear are CarboTech XP8 and the front pads were just fitted at the end of Oct 16. All callipers were rebuilt and re-painted in Apr 2014. Braided brake lines have been fitted and MOTUL RBF 660 used. Brake fluid was changed in Oct 16, along with the clutch fluid.

Wheels & Tyres

The wheels are Ultralite 18x9.5 with a 35 offset. Front 10mm spacers have been fitted with an extended stud kit - this is to provide sufficient clearance from the brembos. Tyres are Nankang NS2R and are approx. 50% worn.

Suspension

Exe-Tc coilovers (fast road) all with external resevoirs. They are height adjustable and have a single adjustment for bump/rebound. Nice and compliant but with excellent damping - perfect for B road blasts. It also has a Perrin Anti-Lift kit (offset spherical bearings in front lower struts) with added castor (fitted by MG Autos) "

·
Premium Member
10,985 Posts
Any suggestions / recommendations I should consider?
I can’t recommend on usage but I will be using an EFR 7670 on a 2:2 stroker MIVEC which should spool around the 3.5 mark and top out at approx 600-630 hp. I trust my tuner and he raves about these turbos for response and low lag on both 2l and stroker applications.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t recommend on usage but I will be using an EFR 7670 on a 2:2 stroker MIVEC which should spool around the 3.5 mark and top out at approx 600-630 hp. I trust my tuner and he raves about these turbos for response and low lag on both 2l and stroker applications.
EFR's get very good spool and decent power in the GTR world, so I'd expect you'll also get decent results. Thanks for the suggestion! I want to avoid Ethanol if I can, don't mind a cheeky tank of Leaded race fuel but 99ron will be mostly what I'll use.

·
Premium Member
10,985 Posts
EFR's get very good spool and decent power in the GTR world, so I'd expect you'll also get decent results. Thanks for the suggestion! I want to avoid Ethanol if I can, don't mind a cheeky tank of Leaded race fuel but 99ron will be mostly what I'll use.
Yeh I plan to have a race fuel map 💪

where are you based?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I was building it I would go with a 9180 Efr and full race twin scroll manifold if 700+Hp is the goal.
Mark
Mr Mark Shead as in MA Developments, long time no speak brother - like 20 years ! :eek::cool:

Been looking and EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts 8374 seems a choice but with T4 flange, should have headroom for a little more power? I'm considering what is the max I can get on pump, for a street car. I'm on that slippery slope of more and more power, again
😭

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Mr Mark Shead as in MA Developments, long time no speak brother - like 20 years ! :eek::cool:

Been looking and EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts 8374 seems a choice but with T4 flange, should have headroom for a little more power? I'm considering what is the max I can get on pump, for a street car. I'm on that slippery slope of more and more power, again
😭
The 8374 doesn’t do 700hp in my testing.

Mark

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 8374 doesn’t do 700hp in my testing.

Mark
Jeeez, maybe the US are assuming ethanol usage, far more oxygenated. What are you finding on pump fuel works well, where is the limit on pump etc. ? GTR Wise my road setup on G30-900's is looking to be pushing approx 1100-1200whp once done, but to go any further we're needing race fuel or ethanol to get anywhere near the 900hp (per turbo) rating (crank).

·
Premium Member
Evo8 260 2004
2,374 Posts
Thanks Mita. I believe it's capable of running 600 on the current setup but it's a little too far for my liking on a 2.0 litre. The current turbo is apparently quite laggy, I think Jaime suggested stroker pistons and a Precision turbo, just can't remember which one.
It’s probably a precision 6062 gen2, think Jamie rather likes precision turbos

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It’s probably a precision 6062 gen2, think Jamie rather likes precision turbos
This rings a bell, for sure. Would you know spool / power differences or characteristics versus the EFR options. Everyone loves a Borg in the mid range power band, but Xona or Precision seem to be on all the drag cars with decent power.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Jeeez, maybe the US are assuming ethanol usage, far more oxygenated. What are you finding on pump fuel works well, where is the limit on pump etc. ? GTR Wise my road setup on G30-900's is looking to be pushing approx 1100-1200whp once done, but to go any further we're needing race fuel or ethanol to get anywhere near the 900hp (per turbo) rating (crank).
I have done 808hp on pump on a evo on a 9180. On the now avl 9280 over 850hp would be possible.
not done anything on the Gtr to know where the limits are but just adding race fuel makes life very easy.
same evo on race made 978hp.

Mark

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have done 808hp on pump on a evo on a 9180. On the now avl 9280 over 850hp would be possible.
not done anything on the Gtr to know where the limits are but just adding race fuel makes life very easy.
same evo on race made 978hp.

Mark
That pump figure is where I'd love to be. Do you find head gaskets become a consumable at these levels, still or is that a thing of the past?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts