Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning forum,

I've had issues with my Evo X running out of battery as I am only taking her out every 2-3weeks so I am thinking of purchasing a battery maintenance charger to keep the battery just ticking over whilst it sits in the garage but wanted some advice before I did.

Q1) I had the battery replaced about 5years ago as the standard battery Mitsubishi released was not powerful enough for the X so I had it replaced with their replacement battery they brought out. I understand it's a gel battery like the original but does this mean I need a different type of battery maintenance charger as it's a gel battery or does it not matter?
Q2) The battery is located in the boot so is it safe to leave plugged in?
Q3) Does the maintenance charger reduce the lifespan of the battery or improve it?
Q4) I don't know much about maintenance chargers so I don't want to buy a cheap one - can someone recommend a really good one I can purchase online?

Really appreciate any feedback, thank you!

·
Premium Member
22,052 Posts
Morning forum,

I've had issues with my Evo X running out of battery as I am only taking her out every 2-3weeks so I am thinking of purchasing a battery maintenance charger to keep the battery just ticking over whilst it sits in the garage but wanted some advice before I did.

Q1) I had the battery replaced about 5years ago as the standard battery Mitsubishi released was not powerful enough for the X so I had it replaced with their replacement battery they brought out. I understand it's a gel battery like the original but does this mean I need a different type of battery maintenance charger as it's a gel battery or does it not matter?
Q2) The battery is located in the boot so is it safe to leave plugged in?
Q3) Does the maintenance charger reduce the lifespan of the battery or improve it?
Q4) I don't know much about maintenance chargers so I don't want to buy a cheap one - can someone recommend a really good one I can purchase online?

Really appreciate any feedback, thank you!
1- to be honest if you battery is 5 years old, its probably a sign the battery is on its way out, cold weather takes its toll on batteries, more so as they get older. A maintenance charger will mask this but not fix it. Ive just had to replace my X battery, my car only starts once or twice every week or 2, fine every winter till this year, this year it became slow to start. My battery was about 5 years old. In my experience as well, gel batteries aren't the greatest in cold weather and as they start to get weaker

2 - Yes

3 - It will improve the life of a good new battery on a vehicle that isnt used often or is only used for short journeys

4 - I like optimate, in particular the optimate 4, its not a charge a flat battery charger, more a top up charger, though it will slowly charge a flat battery. If they battery is bigger though, to charge from flat, you may need to reset the charger after 48 hours. They are designed for smaller batteries but will work on bigger batteries no problem. I have an optimate 4 which must be well over 10 years old now on a large tractor, that is started daily but only run for 2 or 3 mins a day, so no time to recharge with the alternator. Never an issue since, batteries use to last a year or 2, now last several years. I also have an optimate 5, great when it works, but my first failed, the replacement works but has quirks where it stops working and needs powering down for 24 hours till it will work again. Ctek is the popular choice on this forum though

Stu

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Is it ok to leave it connected under the bonnet if using a trickle charger?

·
Premium Member
22,052 Posts
Is it ok to leave it connected under the bonnet if using a trickle charger?
depends what type it is, if its a maintenance charger like mentioned above, something that adapts with battery condition and then maintains the battery once charged yes. If its just a simple charger, not really

Stu

·
Moderator™
27,629 Posts
I use CTEK MXS 5.0 trickle charger and its fine :)

Mine is always on life support as never gets used :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts