Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collect my silver Evo 6 Tommi next Sun (v. happy) and could do with a little advice. What would you guys recommened for the running in period. I dont wan`t to take too much notice of the sales man as he took me out in a 300 mile old Tommi an showed a complete lack of mechanical sympathy, (red line every gear and a top demonstration of how the active yaw works). He could drive a bit! but when it was my turn I was shaking like a shi**ing dog. Any advice greatly accepted.

Regards.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've just picked up my TME however it is 8 months old and has 3500 miles on the clock. It still feels pretty tight engine wise and the brake disks are hardly worn. I have seen figures of 500km for bedding in the brakes quoted on this forum but i dunno how accurate that is.

Personally i would take it easy until the first 1000 mile service as something may work loose in that period.

You're right about the salesmen (with exception of the Ralliart geezer). When i got taken out for a test drive the car had fuel cut problems, but he still drove like a looney. I know mine was a demonstrator before the first owner - i just hope it wasn't caned unmercilessly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should be getting my new 6 TME in the next couple of weeks also.

I know that I will be taking it very gently for the first 1000 miles - both on the engine and on the brakes. However it's a 500 mile round trip from my home to my dealer and I am expecting to put those first 1000 miles on in no more then a week so the agony of thr running-in period should soon be over :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Charlie

Enjoy the experience! Who is supplying it, I have started using Ralliart at Frizinghall, Bradford for servicing and so far they have proved enthusiastic and helpful and reasonable in price (£110 for 4,500 service). If you are using a different dealer, would be interested in comparing notes.

Will look out for you, I drive a silver 6 gsr around Harrogate/ Otley/ Leeds. Get it run in for Donnington on Nov 5th. I've been to one MLR trackday and they are a must, if only to get advice from other Evo owners:)

Yorkie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 500 km thing is BS. It depends on how often and how hard you brake. You can use up fully a set of discs and brake pads in that distance or not use them at all if you take the highway.

I just bedded in my brake discs and pads this weekend. I have the Project Mu discs with separate aluminium bowl and Pagid RS14 brake pads. Got hoses and new liquid as well. The brakes are very good for moderate road use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YOu know, it doesnt take as long as you all seem to think. Take it really easy for 50 miles, start getting them into temperature, slowly increase the pressure after every braking (I went on the highway for this, braking from 180 kmh to 100 you dont keep any of the crawlers there from cruising along), let them cool down while driving braking occasionally and check them out. I could see brake pad material remainders all over the disc, so it is bedded in. I might add that there is no squealing noise, not even a little, and pedal feel is firmer. I will keep you posted how they fade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new pads need to adjust to the discs to work correctly,
but I think that this will not take a lot of miles, especially if you talk about competition pads, they are made to be used hard immediately, for example when they change them in a rally stage.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying that you should just fit them and use them hard, but when I get my project µ discs and pads with goodrige kit and new dot5, I did not really wait before heating them, they became orange a few times and I didn't get any warp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reasons for bedding discs in and bedding pads in are different. Discs take longer to bed in than pads. This is if the discs and pads are new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts