Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed today on what is the exhaust emissions valve a large crack around the base where the return pipe goes to the trottle body the two pipes from the exhaust manifold go to a unit that sits at the side of the engine . a pipe returns to the throttle body and there is also a little vac hose going to the unit ... can i take this unit of ???????? noticed that people who have the large turbo kits remove this unit . can i ????????? . what is its job and how will effect the car ??? also i am having the GEMS ECU system soon will effect this ?? ie als . hope you can help cheers EVO400

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Evo400,
This valve is the secondary air system valve and is opened by the ECU after being on full throttle for more than 3 seconds and with teh revs still being above 4,000 rpm. It dumps air from the inlet into the exhaust manifold.

You could presumably set up your Gems to control this valve to provide you with the air for your ALS. This avoids the need for using the stepper motor approach and jacking open the throttle.
What you will find is that the nozzles that go into the exhaust manifold are fairly small but if you drill them out then you will be able to pass a reasonable amount of air into the exhaust for the ALS.

The WRC cars run with the dump valve outlet plumbed into this system as part of their ALS.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy,

is that with the standard ecu? why does it do this - to clean up emmissions? Presumably this is how people get flames with just boost increase and exhaust.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oli,
No-one really knows why it's there on the standard cars unless it's there for homologation purposes ;)
It probably will help with the emissions and will also help give flames but the standard jets are very small and so whether or not they contribute to the flames would be debatable.

I think that they were probably put there for homologation reasons.

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts