Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I pulled my motor/trans and want to get rid of all the rust on the engine. I was thinking a wire wheel and some high temperature paint would help.

Also was looking to replace the coolant pipe going to the water pump. Might be hard to find?

Cheers.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part Event Metal

Wood Font Art Auto part Metal

·
Registered
619 Posts
EDIT - Apologies, advice for steel corrosion only. Ali difficult to coat (as requires etch), especially heat resistant. Wire wheel / Scotch and regular anti corrosion spray best I can think of for Ali parts.

If you are looking to tidy and protect what you can see (rather than full removal of all parts and original finish), I’d do as you say, wire wheel (+ course Scotchbrite when hands needed) and physically remove and abrade as much corrosion as you can. Id then follow with Hammerite Kurust to convert remaining rust to inert, followed by a suitable Rustoleum product (matt, spray, preferably to create a neutral and clean look). Both products help to attack and neutralise rust, with the latter not requiring a primer.
Whatever you decide to do, look forward to seeing pics 👍🏻

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EDIT - Apologies, advice for steel corrosion only. Ali difficult to coat (as requires etch), especially heat resistant. Wire wheel / Scotch and regular anti corrosion spray best I can think of for Ali parts.

If you are looking to tidy and protect what you can see (rather than full removal of all parts and original finish), I’d do as you say, wire wheel (+ course Scotchbrite when hands needed) and physically remove and abrade as much corrosion as you can. Id then follow with Hammerite Kurust to convert remaining rust to inert, followed by a suitable Rustoleum product (matt, spray, preferably to create a neutral and clean look). Both products help to attack and neutralise rust, with the latter not requiring a primer.
Whatever you decide to do, look forward to seeing pics 👍🏻
Thanks for the advice mate. Yeah I'm only looking to tidy up the engine and trans. Not going to strip any parts of it as such. Just clean it up and change all belts etc that needs done.

I've the underside to get sprayed aswell. Going to go for rustbuster 121 think it has a good reviews behind it. I'll post pictures up when I've all done. Be a few months but hopefully have her out by May/June.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't is it a good job? Was thinking of buying a MBX Bristle blaster. Have you heard of them before?
Just look up some videos on YT -
I personally saw a Porsche GT3 at Nine Excellence have its underside totally transformed ! not cheap tho but the results were brilliant

I have heard of a MBX before but not seen or experienced its capability

1 - 6 of 6 Posts