Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ABS has started to play up since last Friday. It is operating under moderate or light braking (intermittently). Car is an 8MR.

A search here has thrown up a likelihood of sensor or abs ring faults. Twice it has put the ABS light on constantly. One of those times was this morning and I had my cheapo OBD2 reader to hand so plugged it in. No codes!

I know I can short pins 1 and 4 and count the pulses but is the brake code remembered after turning the car off?

Something I noticed was a light buzzing whilst the ABS operated; which persisted for a few seconds after releasing the brake pedal. It sounded like an old electric time-clock. Audible, but not loud.

What is the best way to isolate the fault?

· Premium Member
22,125 Posts
My ABS has started to play up since last Friday. It is operating under moderate or light braking (intermittently). Car is an 8MR.

A search here has thrown up a likelihood of sensor or abs ring faults. Twice it has put the ABS light on constantly. One of those times was this morning and I had my cheapo OBD2 reader to hand so plugged it in. No codes!

I know I can short pins 1 and 4 and count the pulses but is the brake code remembered after turning the car off?

Something I noticed was a light buzzing whilst the ABS operated; which persisted for a few seconds after releasing the brake pedal. It sounded like an old electric time-clock. Audible, but not loud.

What is the best way to isolate the fault?
i'd expect a sensor or abs ring to throw up the ayc light too

On the 4/5/6 to flash out the abs code, you have to remove the abs relay before they will flash out

if no other codes flash, besides the now missing relay code, then assume its the relay, or else if there is other codes, then thats where to look

Stu

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'd expect a sensor or abs ring to throw up the ayc light too

On the 4/5/6 to flash out the abs code, you have to remove the abs relay before they will flash out

if no other codes flash, besides the now missing relay code, then assume its the relay, or else if there is other codes, then thats where to look

Stu
Is it necessary to remove the relay on an E8? If so, where is it located?

Or can I take the code 24 I saw as reliable?

· Premium Member
22,125 Posts
Is it necessary to remove the relay on an E8? If so, where is it located?

Or can I take the code 24 I saw as reliable?
on the 4/5/6 its located on the left hand side of the bulkhead, up the top, there are 2 together, 1 is abs, 1 ayc iirc, cant remember which is which

not sure if later cars are the same though

Stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.