Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Has anyone experienced the ABS light staying on when driving sometimes? To fix this I just stop the car and turn it off then on again and its fine again. Its only happened twice and hasnt seems to affect anything , still annoying though. Any Ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take both your cars over to a Mitsi garage and ask them to check the fault code with the MUT II.

If you don't then who knows what might happen if you have to rely on your ABS one day ?

The MUT II test should be free as the garage will be generating work for themselves after they pinpoint the fault code.

Don't leave this unchecked as you may end up killing your pride and joy on a motorway in the wet if the ABS works eratically.

Good luck

Jonathan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jonathan,
I would expect there to be some safety redundancy built into the ABS system. So if it detects a fault I would expect it to shut down and indicate as such. The brakes should then perform normally.
Ive had the warning light illuminate on my car at the end of a journey. It goes as soon as you start the car again and I always check straight after that the brakes (and abs) work. I was told that lowering the car sometimes messes with the speed sensors, but I take that with a pinch of salt, until I hear it from somebody in the know. The MUT-II was plugged into my car and said dead ABS ECU - replace. Not many other codes come up for the ABS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine too !!

Maybe it's the prodigious quantity of brake dust obscuring a wheel speed sensor output??

My ABS has been combat tested with giffer drivers a number of times and with total efficiency , so maybe it is just the brake dust thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The very same thing happened to me last week.On come the abs light but when I drove it again it was off.If there was a problem I would have thought the light would remain on all the time.My car gets serviced next week so if there is a problem they will find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EVILEVO,
I am also experiencing this fault. I've had the MUT 2 on it and it said A.B.S. Sensor fault/E.C.U. fault. Warrender have supplied me with a new E.C.U. (off a Zero Fighter!)
and i am going to have it checked in the morning, but the light has not come on since.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to get this problem all the time in my old GSR. A word of warning, when the ABS light comes on, ABS DOES NOT WORK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I had a similar fault, I would remove the wheels in turn and remove the ABS sensor, check its resistance with an ohm meter (should read 100Kohms when disconnected from system) and then check the colour of the connector pins. If they looked tarnished then this would suggest a water ingress. I would then clean each one (if dirty) and then replace. I would also check that the tooth ring at the end of each drive shaft was clear of debris.

If the light still came on after this, I would check the connections to the ABS ECU which is situated behind the front centre console.

Then I would check the connections to the G sensors under the arm rest console (just infront of the hand brake)

My only concern is that the fault may be intermittent and that the ABS may appear to work properly during one braking test, but one day it may fail when you really need the help of ABS.

My guess is that if the light only illuminates at random occasions then this is a good sign that you have an intermittent fault with the wiring as this seems the most vunerable to water b'dust and dirt.

Hope this helps everyone a little

Jonathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts