Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I fitted some worn A048Rs at the track day at Brands on Friday and noticed on the way home a drone that I hadn't heard before.

At the time I put it down to the rear bench seat not being in place and it being the Walbro, which I could hear whining away like it usually does or just extra road noise without the rear bench in.

Sice I've put the rear bench seat back in I can still hear the drone. It almost sounds like a jumbo jet, high overhead on a clear day.

The drone happens at all speeds between 10mph and 70 mph (haven't really tried any faster, and didn't notice it on the track - probably was a bit occupied). It changes pitch with speed, does it in gear, out of gear, with the clutch down or up.

So, do A048s drone, or is it something else?

I can't think of anything else that I changed at the track day. :confused:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Whatever you do dont get 888s then mate!!

It was nice to get the Falkens back on so I could hear the engine:lol:

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the noise like though Mike? I've heard tyre noise (have run Michelin Primacy, Yoko AVS and A046) before, but it didn't sound like this?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
it's def the tyres. that's semi slicks for ya... when i've used them i never got to hear the drone too much as the roads down here are in no way smooth enough to hear it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the confirmation. It seems every step I take to making the car perform better makes it noisier!

- Wailing Banshee in brakes
- Donkey in clutch housing
- Jumbo jet keeping an eye on the tyres

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The A0's it came with were no issues with noise...the 888's were a midrangie drone...that got louder as they wore!!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Yep i've got A048's on now. They're noisy. It's like you're driving over rippled tarmac all the time.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Yep they certainly do ! I thought my rear diff had gone shat myself big time , until i drove my m8's car with same setup big relief then :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
It could be a wheel bearing. When driving the car move the steering like they do in F1 when they are warming the tyres. If the noise gets louder when the car's weight is transfered to one side then there is a faulty wheel bearing on that side.

·
NR555
7,423 Posts
my ao48's always drone when new but it does go off over time

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hi Rob

Yes its definately the A048s, I have had 2 sets and they both made it sound like the wheel bearings had gone, its gets louder as they wear too!

Cheers
John

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks John, that's reassuring.

I thought that it probably was, as they were the only thing that I'd changed. I just didn't realise that they would drone, rather then increase the amount of road noise.

It's no big deal though, as I'll only use the A048s on the track from now on due to them being on the wear bars.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Cross between aquavac on steroids and a sawmill, AO48's, R888's and DZ02's all do it, worst over very smooth tar on worn out roads, sounds like the tyres are sucking at the road, very reasuring!!

Martin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts