Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think its anythink important at all but.... When idling and when slightly on throttle, ie.. like 3-6 mph I get a slight sqeeking noise (constant) coming outa the engine bay.. Sounds a little like taxis can sound. I can't hear it after I put more pressure on the throttle.. Just wonna know what it is.. Sounds a little like a fan belt or summit like that!

Thanks for any help again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The evo 6 is 2 years old, and only done 8000 miles! Should I leave it till next service? I dunno, just a little paranoid as i can just about afford to run the beast!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple check to see if its the alternator belt:

Get a can of WD40 or similar spray oil.
Start the engine and let it run until you hear the squeak (should be more like a squeal though if its the belt).
Pop the bonnet and spray the WD40 onto the belt but don't go too overboard with it!
If the noise stops or lessens then its your alternator belt.

It could be the case that it just needs tightening but you need to check the belt for any signs of cracks, splits or fraying on all sides. Admittedly the belt should last more than 2 years but you never know. If your are unsure then get it changed as it is not too expensive (I think). If it is not badly cracked or split then leave it until the next service if its not too far away timewise (9000 miles for you). You can always save even more money and change it yourself if necessary as it is a very simple job.

My MR2 belt was almost split in 2 and was badly cracked. This was after being serviced by a main dealer who failed to spot it. I managed to spot it while looking at something else, all I can say is they never looked as it stood out like a sore thumb. After that I did my own servicing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DON'T use WD40 with that technique (tut,tut,H) , use plain water.
I agree , at that age with only that mileage it seems unusual , but the symptoms wud incline me 2 look there first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just out of interest why do you say don't use WD40?
The oil will detoriate the belt? Thats why you only use a small amount. WD40 is a very light oil and will evaporate fairly quickly especially under the hot Evo bonnet. Probably not a very good idea to spray oil about if the engine is bloody hot and I wouldn't want to spray it anywhere near the exhaust manifold or turbo!
I have used this techique for the last 11 years with no problems but I am always interested to learn http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Water will work and is the safer option but I have bad experiences of water being sprayed about in the engine bay [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/embarassed1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
H,
WD40 (I hate that stuff !) contains a solvent in addition 2 the lubricant , the rubber and textile used in engine belts does not like solvent , and if any find's it's way onto the timing belt.....not good.
Although the amount of solvent wud be quite small shud u use yr method , it simply is not good practice.
Actually , the lubricant will combine with the rubber 2 some extent , this will change it's properties , the result wud be unpredictable.
Water will not cause any probs , well if u don't make like a fireman with a hose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
Quite agree about the timing belt and I wouldn't even suggest it for that or spraying anywhere near it!
Water it is in future then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts