Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been over here for approx two weeks now, and so I thought I'd let you know of the differences and Idiosyncrasies of our cousins from across the water.

1) No matter what vehicle you got to have the largest chrome wheels with low profiles on.

2) As above, you got to have the largest exhaust bore as possible.

3) A new Evo 8 (base model) costs approx. 32K. A 2nd 03 model with 20K miles costs 27K. Hardly no depreciation, now thats not fair.

4) Build quality of US cars is none existant.

5) Toilet paper is about 1micron thick.

6) We in the UK pay way too much for everything.

7) Beer is crap.

8) The world evolves around the US and no one cares about life outside it.

9) Everyone asks if I live near Buckingham Palace!

More to follow.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
humbug said:
3) A new Evo 8 (base model) costs approx. 32K. A 2nd 03 model with 20K miles costs 27K. Hardly no depreciation, now thats not fair.
So an '03 model (Evo 7) with 20k miles is apprx 14.5k GBP at todays exchange rates (source). Sounds about right to me...

It does mean that a brand new Evo 8 MR is ~20k on the road though :cry:

·
Registered
819 Posts
2 years ago i drove across california - great cheap food, cheap petrol, constant sunshine, friendly people - dont know about other states though - californias a bit more liberal i think

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
No. 7 doesn't apply in New York at least, I was pleasantly surprised at the variety on offer and there was some very good micro brewery stuff. Lots of places seemed to care about the quality & presentation of the pints they were pouring aswell, unlike here where if you're lucky in a lot of places if they've washed the glass properly at some point in the last 7 days...

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just been speaking to the local Mitsi dealer, and he says that the E9 will be available in '06!

I asked for a test drive in an E8. So he said I wasn't allowed to drive 'cos I don't own a US licence. Anyway, he turns the ignition on turs left out of the garage and redlines in 1st, 2nd straight from cold! Turns left, then left and left back into the garage. That was the sum total of the test drive, once round the block. Not good for the car. Making me think twice about buying one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Humbug

Not so sure about your dealers honesty. I test drove both the scoob and evo on my UK license.

I am living in Boston, moved in october and have been driving around fully insured with my english license . I think( don't hold me to this) that you have to have obtained your US license within 1 year of being here.

My takes on the US

1. Beer is ok- Stella on tap at the local bar!

2. Food is bigger and better - Here in New England Seafood is quailty. The the only bad thing is i've only found one decent indian and it's 30min away.

3. Still get Footy on a certain channel so can follow how the super sky blues are doing! and all the premiership and england matches.

to be honest the only downside I have found is that everything is so ******* far away. have to drive miles to get anywhere!

Rags

·
Registered
797 Posts
This is my favourite saying:-

“Americans confuse enthusiasm with talent “ :D

I work a lot with our sister office in Atlanta, and this saying is so true.

Cheers
Daz

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rags, the Super Sky Blues are going to be relegated mate if they don't pull their fingers out. Sky Blue Sam wont be the only elephant at the City, the new stadium will be a white elephant. :cry:

·
Registered
20 Posts
JOHN R said:
Rags, the Super Sky Blues are going to be relegated mate if they don't pull their fingers out. Sky Blue Sam wont be the only elephant at the City, the new stadium will be a white elephant. :cry:
:fftopic:
Unfortunately this is true mate, Bennett not signing a new deal isn't the best for team spirit right now!

Back on topic, Found another thing that annoyed me this morning during a conversation about footy

Me - Yeah I used to play in england, saturdays and sundays.

dumb yank - did you play offence or defence?

Me - huh?

Dumb yank - you know offence or defence!

I tried not to lose it at this point after all it is a friday! He went on to tell me they take assists very seriously here and a player with a lot of assists can sometimes get more praise than a player with a boat load of goals! :rotz:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I juat came back from a 2 week holiday in Florida, have to say the food there is not as good as I expected but cheap through, and during this two week have not seen any evo at all in the florida area except a few Lancers and millions of mitz eclips, but I did enounter a modded bright Yellow lancer when I was on the way to clear water beach tried to catch up in the rented dodge mini van, but the guy is such a loony on the wheels and I dont fancy getting a ******ing by wife so didnt play too much with it. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts