Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,135 Posts
i tried to buy that a few weeks ago and then he just stopped replying to my messages when i wanted to sort out collection so i presumed it had sold to somebody else.

looks a nice enough and its sensible money.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No don't think he owned I was interested in it before I bought my ruri GT. The guy owned it for a while we're is Andy b he will know lol

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Gents I know the current owner and the car. Previous owners here http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=494548
I'm sorry to hear that you know him. I travelled from Belfast to see this car after many selective photos from the current owner. He described the car as having no issues aside from a couple of very minor things and only a couple of stone chips.

When I arrived I was shocked when I found the front of the car peppered and the early signs of rust bubbling on one of the rear arches where it meets the skirt and the drivers bolster worn - to be fair he did tell me about the bolster. and it wasn't really that bad and could have been cleaned up I'm sure. To say the pictures he sent me of underneath with the car were selective is an understatement - the car is rotten - if you poked at something under there I'd say it would crumble. He told me on the phone that there was a slight knock selecting reverse and this has only happened to him a couple of times in the past. What I discovered was I nearly broke my wrist every time reverse was selected. I must have tried it 30 times and not once could I select reverse and the crunch it made I thought the gearbox was going to fall out of the car. My best guess was the clutch was gone and it wasn't getting enough clearance to engage reverse. Either that or it needed a box. This was after a 5min look round the car - I stopped looking but I'm sure there was more that car was hiding if I had kept going.

I was very disappointed that his lies cost me £800 in rail, bus (he wouldn't collect me from the airport to view the car) a hotel and flights(booking a flight the night before is not cheap. And I lost half a days work. All he offered me was a 3/4 min lift back to Elgin train station.

I have never in all of my days commented on somebody's car on a forum in a negative way but I hope this prevents another MLR member losing out like I did. However, this is the problem when travelling to view cars and there are unscrupulous car sellers out there - it's not the first time it's happened to me and it won't be the last.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is this the 47k mile white GT?

If so, I'll retract my above comment of 'sorted' :smthumbup

Saved me a potential trip. :smthumbup

I'm sorry to hear that you know him. I travelled from Belfast to see this car after many selective photos from the current owner. He described the car as having no issues and only a couple of stone chips.

When I arrived I was shocked when I found the front of the car peppered and the early signs of rust bubbling on one of the rear arches where it meets the skirt and the drivers bolster worn - to be fair he did tell me about the bolster. and it wasn't really that bad and could have been cleaned up I'm sure. To say the pictures he sent me of underneath with the car were selective is an understatement - the car is rotten - if you poked at something under there I'd say it would crumble. He told me on the phone that there was a slight knock selecting reverse and this has only happened to him a couple of times in the past. What I discovered was I nearly broke my wrist every time reverse was selected. I must have tried it 30 times and not once could I select reverse. My best guess was the clutch was gone and it wasn't getting enough clearance to engage reverse. Either that or it needed a box. This was after a 5min look round the car - I stopped looking but I'm sure there was more that car was hiding if I had kept going.

I was very disappointed that his lies cost me £800 in rail, bus (he wouldn't collect me from the airport to view the car) a hotel and flights(booking a flight the night before is not cheap. And I lost half a days work. All he offered me was a 3/4 min lift back to Elgin train station.

I have never in all of my days commented on somebody's car on a forum in a negative way but I hope this prevents another MLR member losing out like I did. However, this is the problem when travelling to view cars and there are unscrupulous car sellers out there - it's not the first time it's happened to me and it won't be the last.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Thanks for the input bud, saved me a wasted journey. Funny thing is over the phone the seller just mentioned that its sometimes a bit stiff to get it into reverse and not that it's impossible!

:smthumbup
What a crook. That sort of behavior always comes back to get you in the end.

·
All things Evo
5,496 Posts
I remember the car now Dearsman has put the link up,

was owned by someone from Birmingham, I never saw it but it was described as mint and looked nice in all the pictures and that wasnt many miles ago.

shame to hear its in this condition

·
Premium Member
9,198 Posts
Was going to view this one last week,pictures shows it rotten,but you have to look hard as there taken at some shady angles so it looks better.
Hard to find proper Evos nowadays,even when described as mint:wallbang:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts