Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having looked around for a set of wheels for my E4 I am asking the question whether
I can fit 17X8 to the car
Current wheels are 16X7 with 225 wide tyres on them .
225 is 9 and I don't get any rubbing ,so I am thinking it should be OK but want a little feed back on this thought .
Much appreciated.
Also those who want to buy some wheels the quite a few Mazdas have the same 5 stud 114.3 pcd and 38Et as the EVo 4 .
Looking at buying from the USA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:8

IMO its best to stick with the wheel/tyre width the suspension was designed with or else you end up with strnge effects. for instance a mate with a Integrale is going back to the original (205?) tyres as the 215 he currently has on their cause bad tramlining.

Obviously if you've changed the suspension, or intend to, then its not a problem to move to another wheel size (probably).

Unsprung mass (|EQU|bad for handling) is also an issue.

Personally I think the 7.5 on the e6 with 225 tyres gives pretty awesome grip and i dunno whether you'd gain much with bigger tyres/rims.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

When I changed to 8 on my EVO, I had a massive improvement in grip and handling, particularly with the reduction in unsprung weight. Also reduced understeer, and much less tramlining, and that horrible left-right darting that the EVO does on bad roads.

It is true that some cars can't come with wider wheels (the Integrale was famous for it), but that doesn't seem to be the case with the E6, and I guess it is the same for the 4 (not that much difference between them).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Blade, did you also upgrade your suspension at the same time as the wheels? Or did the bigger wheels on thier own stop the darting? What tyre size have you?

The left-right darting on poor surfaces as you put it is one of the worst aspects of the evo for me and I would certainly consider any means of getting rid of it.

Shortly, I'm not trying to hijack this thread (honest guv') as hopefully the answers will be of use to both of us.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Oli goon,

I did the suspension first, then the wheels. Tyres are 235/40 18 . Don't believe the suspension contributes that much to be honest, if anything it should make it worse than the standard car.

IMHO I believe the reduction in unsprung weight makes a big difference. I have also changed my brakes, which are lighter too. The last stage was the wheels though, and I felt the difference straight away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Paul,

As long as they will physically fit. with spacers probably?, it can't be a bad thing. At the end of the day the cross section of rubber on the ground will be larger, therefore more grip and less understeer ('cos we know how you like to spin her roundhttp://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tonguewink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >). As long as the rolling radius is the same, you can't go wrong, or am I talking out my arse again?

P

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Pondy,

RR should be the same if I get a 225/40/17. I run 225/45/16 at the moment with no problems .
On a skittish ride its about the same as normal.
My geometry set means that my car doesn't go arse out and when I cane it at a I know when the front end will let loose [in the dry] and i am suprised at my set up at the moment as its pretty good.
Those that have gone for a larger diameter I had wondered about width .Arch clearance .
My car has been lowered and I do not feel the AYC cut in as travel is minimised before it kicks in .[This helps]
My roll chassis wise may not be go cart . But Im not thrown around.{Passengers are a different ball game }
If sticking with 16 is best the I will but 17 with lower profile tyres and wider tread will give me better grip.
Then with slicks should be even better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts