Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

i have tried to search (maybe i´m doing wrong?), but i haven´t found any useful info about this swap. im planing to do a 2.3L stroke but after some reading i am interested in a 4g64 engine with evo 3 head. anyone how much work this will be to fit it? parts needed etc? i have seen that the 64 block need to plug some oil holes. but how is it with the water pump,oil pump etc? or is it identical with the 4g63 except the crank and pistons? would it be worth the effort instead of stroking the evo engine?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
It would be easier & cheaper to just stroker your engine
The 4g64 6 & 7-bolt engines aren't turbo so you have to do the same rebuild + additional machining to get the head to fit + e.g. hybrid alternator set-up etc
There's info on sites such as 'DSM Tuners' + others on this conversion

Imho, I wouldn't even bother to go 2.3 (had a few...got one now)
can get better tune with a 2.0 long-rod engine which = what I'll eventually be changing to from the 2.3

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be easier & cheaper to just stroker your engine
The 4g64 6 & 7-bolt engines aren't turbo so you have to do the same rebuild + additional machining to get the head to fit + e.g. hybrid alternator set-up etc
There's info on sites such as 'DSM Tuners' + others on this conversion

Imho, I wouldn't even bother to go 2.3 (had a few...got one now)
can get better tune with a 2.0 long-rod engine which = what I'll eventually be changing to from the 2.3
Okay. I will check out a long rod setup also . What would the benefit be with longer rods? Do i need to change the pistons to stroker or something like that?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anyone know if the 4g64 crank from a mitsubishi eclipse 2000-2005 will fit my evo 3 engine? i know that the timingbelt on the eclipse is in the right side if it matters?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Okay. I will check out a long rod setup also . What would the benefit be with longer rods? Do i need to change the pistons to stroker or something like that?
Instead of me explaining / writing stuff that's already been written many times
just do some research / do a search on here
lots of info available

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes no difference as long as it's 7-bolt
thanks. i have read ALOT tonight and i´m starting to get it now. do you have any experience with the 4g64 / 4g63 head combo? i know that the intake ports on the evo 3 head are very small compared to the 1g head ( maybe 2g head without turbo also?). which 2g head would you think works best? or is it possible to just take the evo cams, turbo and exhaust manifold and put it in a Na head? i have found a eclipse gs -98 engine here in sweden but i don´t know yet if it is Doch or Soch

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Port flow on an e1-3 head is as good as the bigger ones on a 1g head
(been proven)
Any 2g DOHC head will work ...just change everything over & /or fit e.g. Crower 272 or BC 272 (both are good & cheap)

Won't matter if the engine is dohc or sohc ....once you change the head and/or parts, it'll be the same / better
Use a good head gasket such as Nippon MLS

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Port flow on an e1-3 head is as good as the bigger ones on a 1g head
(been proven)
Any 2g DOHC head will work ...just change everything over & /or fit e.g. Crower 272 or BC 272 (both are good & cheap)

Won't matter if the engine is dohc or sohc ....once you change the head and/or parts, it'll be the same / better
Use a good head gasket such as Nippon MLS
sounds great. i have found a eclipse gs -99 4g64 2.4 l that i´m gonna buy. is it posible to use the same spark plugs on a 4g64 as on the 4g63? or are the to longe or something like that. i have tried and find, but is the stock rod length in a 64 156 mm or 150 mm?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts