Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find a step by step guide to take my engine apart so I can change a possible dropped valve?

Preferably with pictures. I'm more of an intermediate with vehicle repairs. However, never stripped an engine before (let alone the one in my baby)

I have had a few quotes from garages etc. And figure its all mechanical so as long as I follow a guide to the letter I sshould be ok and save £££'s.
Just not to sure where to start? ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have now downloaded the manual (didnt realise they were on here) still would prefer a picture guide if anyoneknows of one? Otherwise I'll have to try the exploded diagrams in the manual and see what happens.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clearly stupid noob questions but I would rather ask....
1. Do I drain the oil first (im thinking yes?)
2. Is it easier removing the drivers side wheel and arch liner to access the pulleys etc?
3. With the icy snowy weather do I need to be concerned about liquid ingress to the engine? Will a simple coverbe ok once its all apart?

Sorry if it seems like stupid questions to you all but I have to learn somewhere.

·
Hi
7,882 Posts
Tbh mate if you've never stripped engines before this is going straight in at the deep end and why do you think you have dropped a valve?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realise it will be straight in but usually if I have the instructions or a general idea im ok.... the mechanic that recovered me said based on the clicking noise it was making, followed by the clunk after it died. Then seemed to of seized (won't crank) obviously until it is stripped this can't be confirmed but speaking to several garages they all seem to come to the same conclusion of possibly a dropped valve.

·
Hi
7,882 Posts
Firstly see if you can turn the engine by hand, ie ratchet socket on bottom pulley turn over a few times, not impossible but I wouldn't say a dropped valve, drain oil and check for debris

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am I to take the cam belt off before turning by hand? (Again may sound like simple questions I know)
Will drain oil off tomorrow and check.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pull plugs out and have a look inside
I have taken the plugs out and rocker cover off but cannot see anything out of place (although arent the valves etc. On the under side (on top of pistons) so I wouldn't be able to see damage if any without taking all the cams out

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not being funny but I dont think its a good idea you attempting this yourself. If you have dropped a valve and the engine is completely looked up chances are you have probably done some serious damage.
Pull all the plugs and attempt to turn the engine over by hand, If you have dropped a vale looking down the plug holes you would probably be able to see some signs of damaged. Have you drained the oil or removed the cam cover to check for signs of damage?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have taken the plugs out and rocker cover off but cannot see anything out of place (although arent the valves etc. On the under side (on top of pistons) so I wouldn't be able to see damage if any without taking all the cams out
Normally when you drop a valve if you take off the cam cover you will find a broken valve spring or at least one with a missing cap/retainers

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not being funny but I dont think its a good idea you attempting this yourself. If you have dropped a valve and the engine is completely looked up chances are you have probably done some serious damage.
Pull all the plugs and attempt to turn the engine over by hand, If you have dropped a vale looking down the plug holes you would probably be able to see some signs of damaged. Have you drained the oil or removed the cam cover to check for signs of damage?
Any feedback is always a help. I realise may not be the best idea but I have already resided to the fact new block is worst case scenario just figure if I can sort it myself why not if it does all go wrong then I get a new block put in.
Top cover is off and all seems ok comparing to various pictures oil will be drained tomorrow.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so far then its more likely not a dropped valve, I need to try and turn engine by hand(without plugs in) .... do I need the cam belt off or on for this?
And I need to drain oil and check for debris.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ok so far then its more likely not a dropped valve, I need to try and turn engine by hand(without plugs in) .... do I need the cam belt off or on for this?
And I need to drain oil and check for debris.
Leave the timing belt on and try and turn it over by hand. Have you checked the timing to make sure the belt hasnt jumped? I presume you have checked the belt as the cam cover is off? Its a little worrying that the engine is completely locked up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leave the timing belt on and try and turn it over by hand. Have you checked the timing to make sure the belt hasnt jumped? I presume you have checked the belt as the cam cover is off? Its a little worrying that the engine is completely locked up.
Yes belt cover is off, tension on the belt is not quite as tight as it should be so possible it may have jumped. Although the belt is sound no streaching or signs of wear was put on new last year and only done 1000miles if that. I will look into checking the timing there are dots on the cam cog parts wherethe belt goes and they are aligned so I presume they are there to aid in timing and should be aligned as they are.

What am I looking for or feeling by turning by hand?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Think you could be a bit out of your depth with this m8.

I've changed clutches,a few headgaskets etc...on my Renault 5 turbo in the days.

But wouldn't tackle taking my Evo engine apart.

Get it to a professional m8,do your homework on who to take it to,otherwise you could end up with a car on your drive.

And the hardest jigsaw puzzle to put back together ever..

Hope you get it sorted :smthumbup

1 - 20 of 89 Posts