Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just got one a few days ago! :) http://www.sony.co.uk/ShowProduct.do?site=odw_en_GB&category=TVP+Rear+Projection+TV&product=KF-42SX300

but........after watching it for a few days now i am beginning to notice the vertical lines that make up the picture and on occasions the image appears blocky.

I have had a dig around on the internet for a device that will increase the picture quality to the point that it don't appear blocky....but i cant seems to find anything suitable that don't cost an arms and a leg and a head!

any ideas folks?

thanks
russ

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Thats the downfall of digital media at the end of the day, the channel you are watching is probably using some crap compression algorithm because it only has limited bandwidth for that particlar channel. You will find that some channels tend to be better quality than others (eg Sky 1 and Movie channels will have a bigger bandwidth allocaiton than say the Knitting Network).
Anyway back to the original point - Plasma/LCD's have absolutely crystal clear quality so you are going to see exactly how bad the compression is on some channels. Normally it will be water/mist/fog scenes that really stand out (and get you annoyed).

However, DVD's should be pretty good unless it was produced from some ropey digital footage to begin with.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i played the matrix on it the first day, the lobby scene with the gun fight etc and looked amazing. as you mention it, certain channels as worse than other, so that explains it better.

the knitting channel picture is terrible......gutted cos it my favorite channel too!! :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Iv'e got the same screen. :D
I love it on DVD movies but some of the Sky channels become bocky, almost like its in slow motion. I used to have a Plasma but couldn't put up with the ghosting on black scenes and the lip-sync problems. :mad:
Back to back, I'd rather have an LCD or DLP rear projector than a plasma as I ejoy the films more(not constantly looking for faults).
Musr admit I don't otice the vertical lines on my screen at all. :confused:
Try:
AV Forums. Good advice on most AV things found here. :D

Mac. :)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
RCaudwell said:
Sky are apparantly launching their HD service early 2006- should sort it out once and for all, although no doubt they`ll find their own unique way of screwing it up
The 42SX300 isn't fitted with the HD imput connection :( But I'm too tight to pay for Skys premium service anyway. ;)

Mac. :)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
While we are on the subject of Plasma :)

I'm looking for a 42" pannel for my bedroom

I've had a Pioneer (which was about the best about at the time)downstairs fora couple of years now but prices have come down a lot these days and new models are out.

Anyone care to recomend what's best value out there at the moment and were the best deals are ?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Mantamac said:

Back to back, I'd rather have an LCD or DLP rear projector than a plasma as I ejoy the films more(not constantly looking for faults).
I believe DLP is based on Plasma technology, did you mean CRT?

To get back on topic, I have the earlier model, lcd-kf42sx200u and its a fantastic picture. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
nice TV rj - i notice the blocky images on my 32" panasonic

excuse my ignorance, but i though LCD and rear projection sets were two different things??

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
dazek said:
excuse my ignorance, but i though LCD and rear projection sets were two different things??
Yeah, I thought rear projection was only crt, but you can get lcd rear projection too. :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
you still cannot do better than CRT tv's the old technology is still the best for quality. although you max out at 36". Philips pixel plus 2 is awesome. this is cool although you obviously need a bit more space.

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Rob said:
you still cannot do better than CRT tv's the old technology is still the best for quality. although you max out at 36". Philips pixel plus 2 is awesome. this is cool although you obviously need a bit more space.
Oddly enough, its actually the poor quality of CRT's that make the picture look better. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts