Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen Warrenders web site recently.

They are selling an RC Development 400|PLS| BHP EVO VI.

No price on the site but was wondering if any one knows

this car and is it pushing out over 400|PLS|BHP. The spec suggests

it could be.

Looks very nice especially the wheels. OZ Split Rims.

Skeletor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is as quick as it looks if it is the one I think it is I was racing it recently at Oulton and it maybe at Donington this weekend.
That and Rc own car made me get mine uprated to 350BHP.

I will see if I can catch them at Donington.

If not I might have to go the next stage with my Evo V

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK guys, it does seem to be a very impresive car although I would like to know what torque it produces. I looked at the 340 and 380 packages and don't understand the torque figures. There seems to be so little extra torque compared with the BHP. The 340 package produces 313 ft lbs of torque whilst the 380 produces 319. I thought torque was important. Am I wrong?

BTW, I am sure that Blade would have something to say at the question they pose about whether their car is the fastest 6 !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simon,
BHP is effectively torque * rpm which is why max bhp always occurs at the top end of the rev range whereas max torque can appear lower down. It is torque that gives you the accleration but bhp that gives you a higher top speed.
The best thing to have is a nice (preferably high :)) spread of torque right across the rev range.
To give a car a high bhp you can just up the rev limit (I know its not as easy as just upping it) and that will produce a higher max bhp with a fairly 'normal' torque figure. I suspect that this is what might have happened in this case but I don't know.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy

I was playing a bit dumb on purpose|PLS| because I agree with you. BHP |EQU| top speed and torque |EQU| acceleration. What I found hard to understand is what they have achieved with the 380 conversion. 6 lbs of torque for £2900? That is assuming that you cannot really use the extra top speed given by the additional 35 bhp. Am I missing something here? I am sure that I am because I know how impressed people have been by the RC tuned cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simon

There have been cases posted on here where RC cars have not managed to produce their claimed power figures on other peoples RR`s @ the same time std cars have been producing stock figures ie the calibration of the RR must be about right for this to happen.

Likewise the PE car didn`t produce anything special on the MLR RR day either

IMHO - ANY Tuners power figures need to be treated with some scepticism untill proven on an independant / calibrated RR .

I am not picking on any one Tuning company , this only my opinion .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of Rc 's cars produced 378 bhp at well iffy rolling rd on its second power run as the 1st for all was crap.
this was a figure that was anticipated.if its a white one ,its engine bay is something else,hell of a lot of money spent.Its in a back issue JAP performance mag .didn't se the torque figure as did no one else on that run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
torque and hp

sometimes i'm really confused about torque and hp. i saw a video showcasing tommi's evo5. apparently, it was doing a measly 250hp but producing a massive 52.0kgm of torque.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Andy,upping the rev limit on an Evo wont give you more power as Max Power is reached at 6600revs and then it just drops away.And Simon you are just all torque..He He:)

Regards Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Figures mean nothing guys, next year I am going to organise a shoot out with some mags in attendance. All the major tuners will be invited, as they say when the flag drops the b******t stops :) we will have proper timing equipment as well !!

This should put power claims into perspective.

Rgds Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T27 - I will happily attend to show a proper fast EVO. It is so easy to quote figures, and paper horsepower means nothing.

Get a bunch of em on a track and then see, with proper timing gear. I am all for that and will happily attend. Stick on rollers too if that makes people happy, but power means nothing without including gearing and weight. Add traction in too.

By the time you organise that I will be running real 450|PLS|bhp, limiting around 9000rpm :D :D

I can provide the racing driver to do the driving too.

Nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
T27 - I will happily attend to show a proper fast EVO. It is so easy to quote figures, and paper horsepower means nothing.

Get a bunch of em on a track and then see, with proper timing gear. I am all for that and will happily attend. Stick on rollers too if that makes people happy, but power means nothing without including gearing and weight. Add traction in too.

By the time you organise that I will be running real 450|PLS|bhp, limiting around 9000rpm :D :D

I can provide the racing driver to do the driving too.

Nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OKey dokey.

How about this:-

1) Morning power run at Power Engineering rolling road

2) Afternoon at a circuit - I should be able to get Ed Moore from Motorsport Events to arrange something. Obviously there is a cost, but we should be able to get the tuners to help with that as it will be free advertising. Condifent I could get Banzai to shoot it, and probably CCC too. We could hire all of Bruntingthorpe, or use Thruxton for a few hours in the afternoon. I will look into it. Donnington is another possibility too. Bruntingthorpe is good because of the 2 mile straight, which means testing flat out acceleration and top speed as well as track performance. Both PE and Motorsport Events can sort something out at Brunty.

3) We can time Ed driving them (he is a current Formula Ford competitor), or each tuner can bring their own driver if they wish.

PE could bring my car, Ralliart the Extreme S, RC bring this 400bhp thingy, Dragon could bring Thorak's car down (which should be a beast by then), maybe Evoboy will have done something by then too, there is the Forge Motorsport car from this months Jap tuning mag - erm, who else does that leave? Perhaps we could get a Group N car down (Steve Hill??) and maybe people like MA developments want to come down too.

This will take some organising, and it would be best down in spring (say March) so we have half-decent weather (also means I will 450bhp and my LSD by then :D :D). I suggest that anything goes, but we rule out:-

1) No Nitrous
2) No slicks (tyres must be e-marked, so Dunlop R etc. are ok)

Dunno about the timing - perhaps we could hire the Racelogic V box for the day, or something like that? Maybe the mags can help...

What do you think? Perhaps the MLR could support it too.

What about a prize?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like an excellent idea Blade, truly a 'flag drops bullshit stops' event that should sort the men from the boys of the tuning world and maybe even clear up a few pub arguments!

Be interesting to see who would decline to enter (and their justification).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blade

Glad people are up for it, also cars have to run on pump fuel. We have used Datron timing gear for the Cosworth shoot outs in the past, so no probs there. M.A.D. should be able to provide two cars and drivers, lets hope we can make it a good club activity.

Should make a good feature for the club mag also.

Chunky

Interesting point about who declines, it happens b4 most shoot outs, lets see :)

Cheers guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Blade,Have spoke to Darin he is up for it,he said Kevin was also looking into a power shoot out at Bruntingthorpe.I see it like you a 0-60,0-100 and quarter mile at Bruntingthorpe followed by a race on a circuit between the cars driven by racing drivers nominated by the tuners and cars handicapped according to there power.The Tuners could incorporate hospitality at the circuit ,as could the MLR ,and tuning manufacturers could present there products.There could be a celebrity driver doing demo laps in the winning car,and each tuner could attract sponsors for there car on the day.It will be a good way of bringing everyone together and laying a few ghosts,if advertised in the press it could also attract a good crowd on the day,though a majority will be Max Power readers but so what.Maybe we could get a Ralliart WRC car there and Men and Motors could broadcast it,there short of features and Jordan would be up for it.I think a prize is a good idea,maybe raffle tickets can be sold representing each car,you buy a ticket for the car you fancy.the winning car ticket holders then go into a draw and the winner gets a prize.

I have experience in such things so my help is there if needed.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, seing as I am CEO of a software company, I have great ideas and no time :D - so your help would be appreciated.

But, one point - why handicap cars? The whole point is which is quicker. Outright grunt has little to do with it on a circuit, especially Bruntingthorpe. I caned everything there running 0.9bar! I don't think we should handicap cars at all. I don't think it is simple to handicap them either!

What about the rolling road session? I guess it would be ok if all the cars went to PE the day before or something - it would make a nice contrast (paper horsepower vs. real world capabilities).

Ooohh, I am getting excited!

Mind you, I doubt any of the EVOs could beat the 172mph my M5 managed on the runway at Bruntingthorpe :D :D

Think my new short gearing will work against me there :(

I think we should start by fixing a date, and getting availability at Bruntingthorpe, then lining up the tuners.

So, Ralliart, PE, MAD, RC, Dragon, TDI, Forge - who else do we invite? Would be excellent if the MLR did the invitations and made it an MLR event.

We should not race the cars, as we will never get insurance for that. I suggest an open track day, with some closed sessions which are timed laps, hiring Datron gear etc. Maybe 10 timed laps each car after an open practice session.

Now, we should also let all the drivers drive all the cars, that way we can get mixed opinions about the different cars and it helps equalise the difference in driving skill and lap times.

So, what's the next step?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts