Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best value television for £300 .. 1080p and free view .. thanks in advance ...
Bit of background .. girlfriend tele is dying so I said I would buy her one for chrissy .

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sort of related i suppose
Last year i purchased a bush 51inch 1080p tv from a argos clearance store, there are loads dotted about over the country.
Paid £200 and can not fault it usually i stick to samsung and panasonic but was shocked at the quality especially at that price.

Last month there was a offer in the normal argos 49inch phillips 4k tv for £350 the father in law got one and he cant fault it.

Why a 40" ive always assumed bigger is better lol

·
Premium Member
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year i purchased a bush 51inch 1080p tv from a argos clearance store, there are loads dotted about over the country.
Paid £200 and can not fault it usually i stick to samsung and panasonic but was shocked at the quality especially at that price.

Last month there was a offer in the normal argos 49inch phillips 4k tv for £350 the father in law got one and he cant fault it.

Only got a 42 inch gap ....

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
Richer Sounds are usually a decent place to buy a teevee,also get a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
524 Posts
They are all pretty much the same in the price range you are talking,

I like Samsung.. they also make a lot of panels for the cheaper brands as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It upsets me 5 years ago i paid 1k for a 46 LED tv.

·
Premium Member
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GFs LG is 11 years old and is crackling a bit and the picture takes 30 seconds to appear after the sound .

·
Premium Member
9,875 Posts
Look to buy a TV with 5 year warranty and a (true and recognisable) manufactures name on the front

That will limit you to Sony, Pana, Samdung and LG

Virtually every other name is just a brand owned by a third party;
Philips - TPV in China
Bush - DSG
etc etc

How are you measuring the gap? TV sizes are the diagonal size of the viewable screen.

hth

Grant

PS for my sins I am "in the trade"

·
Premium Member
10,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look to buy a TV with 5 year warranty and a (true and recognisable) manufactures name on the front

That will limit you to Sony, Pana, Samdung and LG

Virtually every other name is just a brand owned by a third party;
Philips - TPV in China
Bush - DSG
etc etc

How are you measuring the gap? TV sizes are the diagonal size of the viewable screen.

hth

Grant

PS for my sins I am "in the trade"
Yes I know how to measure .. used to sell televisions in the 80s .

Thanks chaps .. looks like a Panasonic or LG tbh

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts

I have a Bush tv from Argos, and as much as it works, im not impressed with it, I bought a 40" bush and a 50" panasonic at the same time, wish i'd bought the 40" panasonic instead of the Bush.

The Bush tv works and does the job, but the smart side of it is next to useless, wont automatically connect to wifi, very limited apps, sometimes it wont switch on, or switches itself off, just generally not nice to use. Bit of looking into things I found out that Bush is no longer a big name, just a brand name bought by Argos for their cheap tv's :wallbang:

For me its panasonic or Samsung

Stu

·
Registered
711 Posts
Ive got 2 lg tvs one plasma one lcd both been brilliant had them 7 years, wait for black friday if you can and take a few lads with you

·
acting daft since 1969
19,576 Posts
ive a large pioneer 55" i think ,ive had it for around 10 years now ,my previous telly was a sony that was 15 years old

·
Registered
711 Posts
Props to pioneer tvs my cousins had his for more than 10 years too still works like new

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
The Bush tv works and does the job, but the smart side of it is next to useless, wont automatically connect to wifi, very limited apps, sometimes it wont switch on, or switches itself off, just generally not nice to use.
To be honest I wouldn't base any TV buying decision on the smart features as they tend to be more of a problem than a benefit in my experience - for example I have a flagship Sony with a full back-light array from a couple of years back and while I've yet to see a better picture on an LED TV the smart TV features have gradually gotten slower and been paired back or removed. If you are interested in smart features you are better off getting something separate that provides them like a Roku box.

Bush, Goodmans, Matsui and Alba are all basically get what you pay for brands in my experience (i.e. usually a TV with some sort of defect that's made it through QA).

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
**** me after we got married 15 years ago we paid 2k for a 32 inch flat screen Sony TV, how times have changed... It weighed a tonne and took 2 people to lift it..

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't base any TV buying decision on the smart features as they tend to be more of a problem than a benefit in my experience - for example I have a flagship Sony with a full back-light array from a couple of years back and while I've yet to see a better picture on an LED TV the smart TV features have gradually gotten slower and been paired back or removed. If you are interested in smart features you are better off getting something separate that provides them like a Roku box.

Bush, Goodmans, Matsui and Alba are all basically get what you pay for brands in my experience (i.e. usually a TV with some sort of defect that's made it through QA).
It wasnt just the smart features, but it was very annoying when I rang the helpline to find out it was a direct dial to argos, and the person on the phone said, we are aware of the wifi connectivity issue, and there is nothing we can do about it :wallbang::goingmad:, its the actual tv, it randomly turns itself off, sometimes wont turn on, menu is slow and clunky, it is a cheap get what you payfor tv, but I wouldnt recommend it

Stu

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
I have a Bush tv from Argos, and as much as it works, im not impressed with it, I bought a 40" bush and a 50" panasonic at the same time, wish i'd bought the 40" panasonic instead of the Bush.

The Bush tv works and does the job, but the smart side of it is next to useless, wont automatically connect to wifi, very limited apps, sometimes it wont switch on, or switches itself off, just generally not nice to use. Bit of looking into things I found out that Bush is no longer a big name, just a brand name bought by Argos for their cheap tv's :wallbang:

For me its panasonic or Samsung

Stu
Bush has no place in a house and especially his girlfriends house.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
It wasnt just the smart features, but it was very annoying when I rang the helpline to find out it was a direct dial to argos, and the person on the phone said, we are aware of the wifi connectivity issue, and there is nothing we can do about it :wallbang::goingmad:, its the actual tv, it randomly turns itself off, sometimes wont turn on, menu is slow and clunky, it is a cheap get what you payfor tv, but I wouldnt recommend it
Years ago I had similar weird issues with a Goodmans CRT set - first one used to go to a blue screen (i.e. basically the no signal screen) every time there was a transition from a bright to a dark scene. The company sent out a clueless TV repair guy who tried to blame the SCART cables and the fact I had it connected to a TV out on my PC to demonstrate the problem with a flashing black/white animation so my dad had a laugh from another room as he could hear me lecturing the guy on the finer points of electronics. TV guy left with his tail between his legs saying he would get it picked up for a repair but phoned shortly afterwards to say that they couldn't repair it so they would replace it instead :lol:

Replacement arrived without the same fault, but instead it had geometry and focus issues which I just lived with for a few years until I replaced it with a Sharp LCD. Of course that was before the days of smart tv, but I would imagine these days that's just another thing to go wrong on these cheap TVs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts