Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting beyond a joke. I really do have no luck with cars.
I have recently changed the clutch on my Evo IV and all was fine with it. I've done about 800 miles.
Been out tonight and when driving along, gently, as I put the car in third I got a massive shudder. Went into 4th and all was fine.
Put the car in third again as i was driving and nothin, it went straight to the red line as if the clutch had gone.
I know its not the clutch as 1st 2nd, 4th, 5th and reverse are all fine and they engage easily.
Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drained the oil out of the gearbox earlier and the drain plug was covered in metal filings. So I guess i've ground the teeth away.
Any ideas what may have caused this?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Does 3rd still engage OK (no crunching) but just nothing when you put your foot down? If so then it sounds like the gear is spinning freely on the shaft, i.e. the centre splines or connection has gone.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Could be the syncro and gear teeth then. Whatever the problem it's 3rd gear gone in some description which means a strip down and rebuild or a replacement box.
:(

Just replaced my box for the same reason although the 'grale has a design flaw on third gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts