Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on using my 309gti on track days instead of my evo5 ,just wondering if any of you guys have encountered one on track days and how they rate, any advice would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bugsy,

Is your GTI a pre cat version? If it's not I'd be tempted not to bother. Although the power only dropped 8 bhp, the engine lost it's real grunt over-night http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

I had an early version 10 years ago, they are very under-rated cars. Great power, brilliant predictable handling and a good set of anchors [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > . I wish I still had it or one of those Fiat Strada Abarths.

I'm sure if you turn up at a track day in your 309, you'll give a lot of people a surprise through the twisty bits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at a 309 for track day use before I bought my 16v Astra for the same thing.I'd had a brand new astra back in '89 when the 16v version first came out, and always had fond memories.

I've had as much fun in the Astra , and probably more 'cos I don't have to worry about it breaking or me trashing it !. I tried a J-plate GTI - it wasn't as quick as the Astra, so I bought the Astra.

The real difference (apart from about 140 BHP missing !!) is the front wheel drive - really bad understeer (working-on, and improved with set of Yokohama semi-slicks), but RS Pilot is right ; You'll give lots of people a surprise thro' the corners ! - Trouble is they'll all #### on you in the straights !

Still - its great fun, and with a set of racing pads and silicon fluid, the Astra will outbreak anything else I've driven (including my EVO, cossies, 3000gt, etc.)

Get it out there - maybe we'll see you at Cadwell in (?) April

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was a 309 GTI lapping surprisingly quickly at Trax last year , I'm sure someone mentioned that it was a Ltr member.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for comments guys ,car is a precat im planning on having the engine rebuilt by L.A.D motorsport whom also tune lotus elises .
Will get around 160bhp for a rough outlay of 1000 pounds .Brake and chassis mods /koni adj,new discs pads etc should come to around 700 pounds .
Fuel consumtion on my rs450 has stopped me doing a lot of track days due to distances to travel,and proper maintainance etc so will stick to oulton park .
Hopefully running the pug will enable me to do more trackdays for a reasonable budget .

Thanks paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bugsy,

I have had dealings with LAD motorsport over the last 5 years - have had the engine job you refer to on my 205 GTI, plus the suspension kit. Result - road legal go-kart http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > . Still own the Pug, although the wife is now using it now and I have had the std exhaust refitted (this is the only obvious external clue to the mods) so she doesn't get too many XR's having a go. If you want more details drop me an e-mail: [email protected]

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was at Trax in my 309 GTI last year and yes I am an MLR member my second car being an EVO 6! The 309 makes an excellent spare trackday car as seen at Siverstone. The 309 has a standard engine (soon to be replaced by an MI16V) stripped out inside with a bucket seat and harness. Suspension is Koni with some LAD springs up front all rubber bushes replaced with nylon and a strut brace. Its superb cheap fun and it suprises a few people too being the underdog!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts