Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and girls

I looked at a realy nice 3 the other day, only prob is that it is red and the wife has point blankly said NO to a red car :confused:

There are a number of 2's about at the moment and I was wondering what the real difference is....not the differences in the buyers guide(excelent as it is) but real world differences.
If i buy a 2 am I always going to feel I should have waited for a 3?

Sean

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Looks wise the III is streets ahead, but other than the higher compression ration limiting the amount of boost you can run on a III, there won't be much in it.

I wanted a III, settled on a I that looked like a III. As long as you buy a good 'un, whatever you buy you will love it :)

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Frog said:
I was wondering what the real difference is....not the differences in the buyers guide(excelent as it is) but real world differences.
If i buy a 2 am I always going to feel I should have waited for a 3?
Sean
* front & rear spoilers...
but front lower 'lip' is prone to get damaged and difficult to replace
* higher compression in e3 but there's more power to start with...
but little else.....

go for an e2 as they're cheaper...and add the e3 spoilers + orange front indicators at a later date (?) and at first glance...
no-one will be the wiser (apart from number plate giving the game away perhaps)

·
Registered
484 Posts
.... as above..... a two or a one would be the better choice as they are more tunable. the 3 is better if you are looking for a meaner looking car

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
wanderer said:
.... as above..... a two or a one would be the better choice as they are more tunable. the 3 is better if you are looking for a meaner looking car
OOI why are they more tuneable?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You only have to look down under for ways to get power from the III.

Also unless your only going for modest power you'll be looking for forged pistons regardless of whether its a I II or III.

realworld differences between a III running 1 bar (scrambled for 1.2) and a II running 1.4 bar with the same other mods, wont be alot.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The big step up in the early evos came between the I and the II , apart from the aero kit (ie spoilers ect) there is very little difference between a II and a III. If its the looks you're after then get a III as its by far the meaner looking early evo , if its power you want , get a II and with the money you save over a III you could do some nice mods! :)

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Get a 2 mate you know it makes sense :).... offer me the right money i would be tempted to sell mine.. forged engine and all!

Hope you get what you want fella, was good to chat at cadwell and hope you have a evo next time we meet.

cheers
Ian

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
Everyone seems to be recommending a II because it'll be 'faster', remember the higher compression ratio will give slightly better off boost power and theoretically a wee bit less turbo lag. I also seem to recall that the turbo in the III is capable of flowing a bit more than that used in the II but I can't find the data on my PC to back this up at the moment :rolleyes:
xlr8 said:
but front lower 'lip' is prone to get damaged and difficult to replace
You're not wrong. It is a bugger, especially if the car is lowered a bit.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Chunky I think you are right RE the turbo , Its one of the mods that I have seen listed for the I and II so it must be a better spec than the earlier 2 cars. I don't think the II is 'faster' as such (It plainly isn't as it has 10 bhp less!) but the difference in price is such that for the price of a good III you could do some performance mods to a good II and make it faster.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
yes....the e3 is fitted with a TD05-big 16g
but if anyone's going to go to the trouble of fitting forged internals
best to get an 18g or better still, a 20g (Ian/theTyrant has one on his)

an 'easier to find' alternative is a hybrid t3/t4 but requires a different manifold
(which could be the case with a 20g as well....so as to run an external w/gate)

btw
I only recommended an e2 due to initial purchase cost and because there are more available.....no other reason
a few spoilers here and there certainly would make no difference to me(only personal opinion !)....and i've owned a few
so as mentioned.....down to personal choice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts