Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Someone has offered me a set of used Ohlins coil-overs for my E5 RS. The owner CLAIMS to have only used the shocks for about 2,000 kms (road use), so they're supposed to be in very good condition. The price is also very good (less than 1k GBP for the set). The seller is incredibly wealthy and just seems to want to get them out of his hair.

Question 1: Is there any way at all to tell if the shocks are still in good condition, apart from mounting them on the car and driving around? Any specific things I should be looking for on the units themselves (such as leaks, etc.)? Just how durable are these things anyway?

From posts on here, I gather that they are much stronger than the stock shocks, and so should last for a long time in theory. However, I know someone who also bought a set of Ohlins 2nd-hand, and they turned out to be damaged. Note that Ohlins are exceedingly rare where I live, and any repairs would entail shipping the shocks all the way to Japan!

Question 2: Will my ride improve with these Ohlins? The units are supposed to be 3-way adjustable. The seller claims that ride is much improved (i.e., more comfortable) over stock. However, the other chap with the Ohlins says ride is much harsher than stock. Pardon my ignorance of these things, but I don't know who or what to believe.

Obviously I'm very tempted, but don't want to jump in, only to suffer buyer's remorse as a result. As always, I turn to this forum for advice! |EQU|)

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Ohlins require regular services, every 1000 miles or so, as do Proflex, and occasional rebuilds. Without sticking the shocks on a tester, you can't tell (or mount them to a car, but still you need lots of road conditions to be sure - how would you tell whether it is performing as new or not.

If you can't easily get them serviced, I would say that you would get fed up with it in the long run.

If you want a good ride quality on the road with a bit of track, better to look at something like the DMS Gold 40mm shocks, which are about £1500 new.

The Ohlins are stronger than standard shocks (massively) but that doesn't mean they haven't been abused, and there is no external way to tell the mileage or what KIND of mileage has been done on those shockers.

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Hi hesperus

You cant really tell from just looking at a damper if it is OK inside, ie functional. For example, a lot of gas canisters are scratched from having been installed with metal clips etc. Which does absolutely not mean that they are not absolutely perfect.

But beware from this guy, rich or poor, black or white. I have never seen 3 way adjustable Öhlins suspensions, and I have them on my car! Bump and rebound. No low and hi speed bump like Proflex. Dont let them tell you BS.

BTW, are we talking about real Öhlins suspensions or the Japanese road version? Those are not worth anything close to GBP 1,000 if used. Forget about those. By real I mean separate gas canisters, bump adjustment on the canister and rebound under the damper.

One more thing to consider: If they are the real ones, are they set up for road use? Normally these dampers come with GrN type setup, welded cars with slick tires, nothing close to your road car. Why would you sell Öhlins? There's nothing better you can buy (well, there is:

Unless you sell them after a season or two of rallying because they're fücked.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
/www.ohlins.com
is very very usefull,if you check it out they list part nos and settings for most cars
i have used this recently as i got some factory honda ohlins forks and shock,they are also very helpfull on the phone
BUY THEM !

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
there are two types of ohilins . OHLINS SWEDEN and amp; OHLINS CARROZZAIRE JAPAN
they are the same company but they do not repair each other units so beware the jap stuff fails very very fast and unless you ship to japan then you are stuck .

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, I decided not to buy them. I think they were actually Ohlins JAPAN units, and a friend of mine had the same set, which he had to have repaired. Plus, the chap/shop that was selling them had less than a stellar repuation.

I ended-up getting a set of 2nd-hand Cusco's instead.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts