Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X RS
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to thinking that the importers of second hand motors from Japan earn their living by being cheaper than UK prices. However, with prices of the 260 dropping so low, will it undercut the importers? Might take 6 to 12 months but would guess that less JDM spec. EVO's will be imported, resulting in prices of the 260 firming up a bit, instead of continuing to freefall.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
GeordieAndy said:
IS it 'that' bad or risky gettin a 7 or 8 from an importer? Do the majority prefer uk cars?
Andy - you are looking at £16k for a UK VII and I've just got rid of mine - I will hopefully be getting a Jap import tomorrow for a lot cheaper - it's the only way i can afford one so why not after all it's the same car for a lot less money ??

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
No risk getting an import ,- they all come from the same place at the end of the day and that is japan

·
Registered
18,323 Posts
barrie said:
No risk getting an import ,- they all come from the same place at the end of the day and that is japan
And the welders over there are probably just as good as the ones over here :crackup:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
barrie said:
If getting new from Japan I agree but if getting second hand ?

You dont know if its had major accident damage

Difficult to confirm mileage

Plus Insurance for me is about £250 a year cheaper for a Uk car

I know there the same car but uk cars you can trace the history

How much is a 7 worth with the 260 under the 16k mark ?

·
Registered
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X RS
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not saying that UK cars are better or safer than Jap imports, although some people prefer them for the reasons given above.

What I meant was the importers can buy an VIII from Japan, sell it here for a couple of thou' less than UK models and still make a reasonable profit. However, with 260 prices seemingly in freefall, they'll be cheaper than the imports. The importers may compete by trimming their profit margin, since I would assume Jap prices are fairly stable (no 260's over there) and they can't buy any cheaper, so there comes a time when that margin becomes so small that their time and money is better spent on bringing in other makes and models.

OK, so prices in Japan will fall with the IX coming out, but the same is going to happen here, especially with CCC still having VIII's to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I heard from someone that imports cars that most Evos used have dropped signifantly in price in japan over the last month.

Anyone confirm?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
I doubt it will have much effect as not everyone wants a 260. If you do you'll buy one from the UK market, but if you don't and you want a better deal then you'll get a V, VI VII or full-fat VIII from an importer.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Aidy said:
I doubt it will have much effect as not everyone wants a 260. If you do you'll buy one from the UK market, but if you don't and you want a better deal then you'll get a V, VI VII or full-fat VIII from an importer.
I see your point, However the 260 is a facelifted 7 so IMHO may affect more as bassed on it. Also early 8s as the price differance.

Dont bother me I am keeping mine for 6 years (hopefully) I feel if you sell any car within the first year that is when you mave the biggist loss.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
NICK & DIANE said:
If getting new from Japan I agree but if getting second hand ?

You dont know if its had major accident damage

Difficult to confirm mileage

Plus Insurance for me is about £250 a year cheaper for a Uk car

I know there the same car but uk cars you can trace the history

How much is a 7 worth with the 260 under the 16k mark ?
[/QUOTE

You know exactly what you are getting from Japan

All cars are graded and every car sold in japanese auction houses tell you whether it has a panel replaced - accident , right down to stone chips . - it is nothing like the uk market.

All mileages can be confirmed!

Your right - insurance is more money

You get full japanese service history with most cars - if you buy right cars!!!

IM NOT HAVING A GO AT YOU BUT REALLY YOU SHOULD NOT WRITE COMMENTS LIKE THESE IF YOU DONT KNOW! :)

Barrie
Distinctive Car york

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
I think we should put this slightly more into perspective, the price of the 260 is freefalling no more than the price of your average MR unit - i've lost 10K in 6 months on my car which is about 29%. 260's are going for 16K which from new (anything from 21k to 23k) is only a couple of percent more/less depending on the initial outlay.

260's are just like any other car, the brunt of the depreciation will be in the first 6 to 12 months, after that it will stabilise.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
NICK & DIANE said:
I heard from someone that imports cars that most Evos used have dropped signifantly in price in japan over the last month.

Anyone confirm?
Evo 7,s and 8,s have dropped and 6 gsr,s a little
But low mileage evo 8 mr,s are still doing very strong money - that is why i have now bought the new 9 because it has only cost me very little more to get one of them instead of a used mr.

Also good grade 4- 4.5 tme,s are still doing very strong money in japan - and evo 3,s are! :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
barrie said:
Evo 7,s and 8,s have dropped and 6 gsr,s a little
But low mileage evo 8 mr,s are still doing very strong money - that is why i have now bought the new 9 because it has only cost me very little more to get one of them instead of a used mr.

Also good grade 4- 4.5 tme,s are still doing very strong money in japan - and evo 3,s are! :)
:confused: :confused:

5mth old MR300 £21,950

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71657

VIII FQ330 £24,750

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69700

·
Registered
613 Posts
GlobalGB said:
I think we should put this slightly more into perspective, the price of the 260 is freefalling no more than the price of your average MR unit - i've lost 10K in 6 months on my car which is about 29%. 260's are going for 16K which from new (anything from 21k to 23k) is only a couple of percent more/less depending on the initial outlay.

260's are just like any other car, the brunt of the depreciation will be in the first 6 to 12 months, after that it will stabilise.
:smthumbup

·
Registered
18 Posts
Barrie would it be realistic to hope in 6months time I could get a nice VII for around 13k?

What is the most popular colour options, coz I'm quite taken with white, which seems very scarce

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
GeordieAndy said:
Barrie would it be realistic to hope in 6months time I could get a nice VII for around 13k?

What is the most popular colour options, coz I'm quite taken with white, which seems very scarce

Regards

Andy
You will not be far away because the 9 is out now! . have to wait and see, but you always pay a little more if they are direct in from japan . never been run on these salty british shitty roads and i think it makes hell of a differance , after seeing some evo,s that have had a couple of winter in britain on them. :(

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
First thing to do is to get the car undersealed properly if buying an import as their climate is completely different over there (probably don't use salt/grit either) and therefore the underseal layer is extremely thin.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Too right global

we normally charge £100

Your right -when in japan -even though they get snow -the atmosphere seems to be always dry - i love going to tokyo. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts