Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I remember thinking last year the 260 prices are going to be good in mid 2005.

Already we have 5-6 month old cars for less than £16,000 in private adds. The trade will obtain these cars for even less, maybe £13k/£14k.

Having recently sold a FQ300 I really think I may go down the 260 route by year end....

It really is unbelievable. With the new car due out some buyers are going to have a total nigntmare.

I know oil prices are up again, but it seems there is some panic selling going on......

How low are the prices going to be by end of 2005?

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
R-Jay said:
By end of this year 2005 I predict you will be able to buy a 260 privately for £11K !!!!!
No :eek:

Can you imagine if that is the case what will happen to the residuals of other VIII's when people find out for a couple of grand spent on a 260 they can have the same power as the top of the range models :eek:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Leonard said:
No :eek:

Can you imagine if that is the case what will happen to the residuals of other VIII's when people find out for a couple of grand spent on a 260 they can have the same power as the top of the range models :eek:
You mark my words.... Bear in mind they will take a hit when the 9 comes out in April-June :)

I might be tempted to but a 260 at the end of the year for £11k and have a SHM 400 conversion :cool:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I paid £23k for mine last May :cry: man I so jumped too soon into buying it! :blah:

·
Registered
18 Posts
For exsisting owners this is a scary situation, especially those who have purchased more recently. But for a prospective buyer like myself it is good news, although I want a 7 not an 8, fingers crossed those prices will fall even lower.

But as prices fall yet lower you will be left with the same situation we had/having with GTIROC and thats once a performance model falls into the affordable reach of those who dont have the money to look after it, the cars will gain an unfortunate reputation! If they dont blow em up, they will have to sell em when reality hits home and the values will fall yet further!!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
GeordieAndy said:
For exsisting owners this is a scary situation, especially those who have purchased more recently. But for a prospective buyer like myself it is good news, although I want a 7 not an 8, fingers crossed those prices will fall even lower.

But as prices fall yet lower you will be left with the same situation we had/having with GTIROC and thats once a performance model falls into the affordable reach of those who dont have the money to look after it, the cars will gain an unfortunate reputation! If they dont blow em up, they will have to sell em when reality hits home and the values will fall yet further!!
Very true!! Autotrader will be full of Chav mobiles that are rusted, battered and falling apart like all the hot hatches appear to be round here lately!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
In light of all this, where (IYO) do you think this leaves these upgrade packages?

Worth doing or sending good money after bad :confused:

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Micka said:
Thank God I'm getting out now @ £16k...
I lost 10k on my evo when sold after 6 months ownership, you've got to take the rough with the smooth I suppose.

As someone said somewhere else, you have to be a car enthusiast to really appreciate what the evo can do for you.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I SAID ... :mad:

:D

scoop said:
In light of all this, where (IYO) do you think this leaves these upgrade packages?

Worth doing or sending good money after bad :confused:

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
GlobalGB said:
I lost 10k on my evo when sold after 6 months ownership, you've got to take the rough with the smooth I suppose.

smoooooth.............

Thanks Global - However i do expect that the value will keep on falling..... falling...... falling.......

F##k it though - petrol in the veins is cheaper and less damaging than coke!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
scoop said:
I SAID ... :mad:

IMO, if you intend to keep the car for the forseeable future then the 260+tuning seems the way to go.
If you only plan to have it for the short term then its probably questionable.

Tuning is tuning though. Never directly maps to resale value. Always seems most cost effective to split mods off and sell them seperately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
F##k it though - petrol in the veins is cheaper and less damaging than coke!
Bang on. I take after me ol-man, who always said he'd rather fill the tank with petrol than p*ss it away against a wall. People who buy cars for the love of owning and running, make sacrifices in certain areas.

·
Registered
613 Posts
daveR said:
IMO, if you intend to keep the car for the forseeable future then the 260+tuning seems the way to go.
If you only plan to have it for the short term then its probably questionable.

Tuning is tuning though. Never directly maps to resale value. Always seems most cost effective to split mods off and sell them seperately.
Thank you daveR, I thought I'd shut the thread down with 1 post :(

I have driven home thro the windy back roads since my last post and realisd "**** it" it's gotta be worth every penny and I don't care how much the car looses in the interim, £23K for a 350BHP "new" car - that's gotta be good value :D

I remembered posts of cars for sale "soandso car for sale... £20K spent on mods ...blah blah .. £7000 ono"
I guess if you want perfomance it costs. Pay out for it up front or mod your way up to it, it's still gonna cost and you'll still lose the bulk of your cash.
Nuff said.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you love it , it aint no sacrifice
LOL, judging by some of the peeps selling there 2minute old evo's crying about their running costs it seems their sacrifices involved not being able to eat!! Bread n Water anyone :D

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
GeordieAndy said:
But for a prospective buyer like myself it is good news, although I want a 7 not an 8, fingers crossed those prices will fall even lower.
That makes 2 of us wanting a VII up here then - Hopefully I will have one tomorrow afternoon !!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
As I said on the other thread, they will stabilise VERY shortly in or around their current values. ;)

Why???

No IX 260 in the UK. Therefore, there won't be an As Cheap / As New Evo alternative for at least 18 months. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts