Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just gets worse !!!!!

Which ****ing halfwits think the games are a good idea ?!?!?!?!

Still 5 years to go !!

I dread to think what the total cost will be :confused:

All that money so a couple of people can run round a field ect ect !!!

Boy, does it make me mad :goingmad: :goingmad:

Just think about how many Sprint Tracks they could have built rather than waste all that money !!

Read below and pay special attn to the last sentence !!

Panel blasts London Olympics transport plan Tuesday February 20, 12:38 PM

LONDON (Reuters) - Plans for transport links to the 2012 London Olympics are vague and the agency in charge has shown no urgency in drawing up a more detailed blueprint, a parliamentary committee said on Tuesday.

The criticism from the Transport Committee comes as London Games organisers face pressure to clarify the budget for staging the event amid concern over spiralling costs.

Delivery Authority (ODA), set up to oversee the building of new venues and infrastructure for the Olympics, published a draft transport plan last October and expects to produce a final plan this summer, the committee said.
"We are concerned to see that the plans for delivery (of most forms of transport) remain vague, and the ODA is not exhibiting any sense of urgency about producing more detailed plans," it said in a report.

Contingency plans for major systems failures during the Games -- such as power failures, security alerts or signalling problems -- were little developed, it said.

Transport plans for the London Olympics depend heavily on rail, with 80 percent of spectators and workers expected to travel by train, it said.

"It is crucial that the transport systems put into place are robust enough to allow for major failures in parts of the system without the entire system collapsing," the report said.

The ODA's plans assume that traffic in London during the 2012 Games will fall by eight percent due to the summer holidays and by a further eight percent as people leave London to avoid the event.

These assumptions were highly speculative and posed a "significant risk" to the Olympics transport plan, the committee said. Plans must be able to cope with the Olympics traffic in addition to the normal seasonal traffic in London, it said.

The committee urged the ODA to come up with plans to use London's waterways more effectively to transport passengers and staff to the Games.

It accused the ODA of failing to put enough importance on providing a "legacy" of transport improvements for London once the Games are over.

Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said last year the budget for building the infrastructure had risen by 900 million pounds to 3.3 billion pounds, but some media reports now put the cost at nine billion.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the games could be staged for 1p of public money, that would still be 1p too much !!!!!

As I said, if someone wants to run around a field ,ect,ect then do it at their expense and not mine !!!! :mad:

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leonard said:
How much revenue does it generate though???

Must be a fair amount just in tv rights?

http://www.olympic.org/uk/organisation/facts/revenue/index_uk.asp

Matt
:)
Matt,
As far as I can see from that site the Olympic Movement generated US$4,000 million ,well thats quite a bit short than what the current budget is!

"Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said last year the budget for building the infrastructure had risen by 900 million pounds to 3.3 billion pounds, but some media reports now put the cost at nine billion."

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the latest goings on we may actually get a Gold Medal in shooting ?

Olympic Official... " I say - GB Team, when you shoot, you need to be in the prone position! "

TEAM GB squad member - "nah man, I can only shoot from the back seat of ma Lowered Range Rover Sport on Wikkid 26 Rimms "

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Almost as bad as the building they put up,in Scotland,to house a load of halfwits discussing, **** knows what.(Some sort of Parliament house!)
It started out as 33million and ended up being well over a billion. :eek: :eek: I'm sure the latest figure was nearer 3 billion.
Why do these,so called politicians,need a fancy building,to go to work in,with designer chairs,wallpaper,etc,etc.
For all the use it is going to be they could have saved them selves a lot of money and given them 3 or 4 porta cabins!
And then they have the cheek to put the ****ing council tax up,by extortionate amounts.
At least with the Olympics they will get a "little" amount of the money back.(I don't agree with it,either!)
Chris

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
jetskidia said:
Matt,
As far as I can see from that site the Olympic Movement generated US$4,000 million ,well thats quite a bit short than what the current budget is!

"Olympics Minister Tessa Jowell said last year the budget for building the infrastructure had risen by 900 million pounds to 3.3 billion pounds, but some media reports now put the cost at nine billion."
Fair point :D

Matt
:)

·
Registered
10,906 Posts
It's all about Tony Blair's 'legacy' - he wants to be seen to have done so much for Britain, when all he's actually done is f*ck it up completely. But to outsiders, especially the Yanks, he thinks he looks fantastic for supporting the war in Iraq and getting the Olympics etc.

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
@ the time we won the games i let out a huge groan, what a total waste of money, just as Jetskidia say's, for a load of bods to run around a track and throw things about, athletics, who watches athletics, it's c rap :confused:

Whats really annoying is the fact that by bringing the games to London only a very few people get VERY VERY rich out of it, christ, Wembely couldn't be built within budget and time-scale, i dread to think what this huge fiasco is going to cost, i bet this London games will make us look the laughing stock of the world when done and dusted, why London was ever chosen i don't know, the tube is in a worst state than it's ever been and the roads are insane to say the least, takes me over an hour every nite to go 5 miles from work to home which is in east london, STUPID STUPID STUPID Blair and cohorts, makes me bloody...... :goingmad:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You bunch of kill-joys :goingmad:

The olympics are a chance to re-invigorate an area that is crying out for investment, a chance to bring the world to see our country and a chance to encorage our lard-arsed younger population to get involved in sport rather than just playing on their PS3 all day. The amount that we could save in NHS bills alone could pay for the entire event :jump

It was also a chance to stick it too the French when they thought they were going to get it :D

·
Registered
8,873 Posts
Steve PH said:
You bunch of kill-joys :goingmad:

The olympics are a chance to re-invigorate an area that is crying out for investment, a chance to bring the world to see our country and a chance to encorage our lard-arsed younger population to get involved in sport rather than just playing on their PS3 all day. The amount that we could save in NHS bills alone could pay for the entire event :jump

It was also a chance to stick it too the French when they thought they were going to get it :D
Pff :rolleyes: like the east end ain't a nightmare already traffic wise, wake up, it's ok for you to say, yeah, woopie-doo, but the reality is something quite different for us that live this way, ha, regeneration my arse!

New housing is going up ALL around london including the east end, I've been working on quite a few sites since last year till now in that area, using the Olympic Games "were going to regenerate an area in desperate need" was just a sweetener to divert attention for the fact of how much this white elephant is going to cost us all.

Why not just build the new houses :confused: instead of wrapping it up in candy :confused: just a load of eyewash thats all it is, as for money coming into the area, ha, yeah right :rolleyes: all is going to happen is local bods will knock up snide Tee shirts and knock um out for £20 a shot, thats hardly money coming in, and if you think that locals would be buying "official merchandize" you ain't been to the east end, everythings snide this part of town, moody geezers on every corner will sort you sumink out, know what i mean, nudge nudge.

I just don't buy it, this government has a proven track record of c0cking things up wholesale, The Dome anyone? what a huge furking joke, and i ain't laughing one bit.... :frust:

Grown men running about in lycra, whats that all about anyways, bit gay if you ask me :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.