Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am planning to convert my 2.0GLS lancer FWD to AWD.
My question is-do I need to replace my whole gearbox or is there provision on the current box for the conversion. Unlike most of m cars, I haven't had the chance to get down and dirty with my lancer to check the whole scenario out.
Please advise.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Too tempting to say, yeah just bolt on the prop shaft and rear diff, job done.

No, I think it will be a world of pain and without an Evo as a doner car would cost far too much in parts and time. Alternatively you could buy and Evo 7 or 9 wagon in the first place??

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I would be surprised if the bodyshells are the same underneath with prop tunnel, rear diff mounting points and fuel tank.

I would pretty much guarantee the transfer box doesn't fit onto a standard lancer transmission either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are breaking my heart.. I figured that your answers would be the general reply, but I guess it was worth a shot. I will pop my car on the lift and see what the real deal is tomorrow. Part prices aren't really an issue, this car has sentimental value.
I will keep you guys posted with what I find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found a chap who is nicknamed the "Mitsubishi undertaker" who reckons he can supply tranny, diff & drive shafts for 35000ZAR and install it for another 7000ZAR ($2925.48), but prop shaft & exhaust is my problem. He seems to swear that it is possible.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Anythings possible for the right price, just last week I was reading about a rear engine'd Clio 172.

The real question is what would you benefit from 4WD? You don't have enough power to require it for control and the additional weight/transmission loss would only add to that problem.

If it's for traction ( if you live on a farm or suffer heavy snowfall ) perhaps you'd be better off with a dedicated off road vehicle with added ground clearance etc?_

·
Registered
566 Posts
As you are talking ZAR you are probably of the mindset that anything is possible, and personally I wouldn't argue with that. However, I have the 2009 Lancer Sportback and can tell you that the rear of the car is completely different to the sedan so I would advise you that you will possibly run into situations where the parts that you think should fit might not. This would simply be down to the fact that the Evo models are carefully upgraded in the factory, sometimes subtly. For instance the rear suspension mounting points on my car are different to the mounting points on the Evo X, which may not be the case with your car, but it's something to look at. Strengthening might also be required, which you should consider. An exhaust is easy enough to construct to order, and although I'm not familiar with the process, I'm sure a propshaft could be made to suit as well.

What I'd be asking is whether it would be worth your while selling your Lancer and buying something designed with four wheel drive to begin with. Ben raises some valid points and perhaps you should look at all the options before spending money on something that might turn into a money pit, and that you spend ages trying to get right.

Good luck, whatever you do. :smthumbup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the concern guys, regarding the power statement- my brother had the engine rebuilt with forged internals & slapped on a Garrett GT3076R before passing away so its more than making enough power I know it may seem ridiculous, but as I mentioned before, the car has great sentimental value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts