Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought a 2003 Airtrek Turbo r which I believe has a de-tuned evo 7 engine. I need to replace the idle control valve and wondered if anyone knew whether any evo 7 part will fit on this engine or whether there are any differences?

Can anyone also recommend a supplier as I don't trust the after market products on eBay?

Many thanks

Matt

·
Registered
226 Posts
Take it off and take a pic. Why do you think you need to replace the idle control valve? It might just need cleaning or resetting the idle adjustment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.

The car is revving too high. My brother-in-law is a mechanic and he checked all the hoses etc - no leaks. Then he removed the icv and found it was jammed. Tried cleaning it but it wouldn't release so he suggested getting a replacement.

Unfortunately didn't take note of the part number at the time. I'll take it off again and post a pic.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Must be different from the Evo style one, those one's cannot conceivably fail to be cleaned.

The test for the Evos is to switch the car on or off with the ICV valve out of the car, the stepper motor will turn and the ICV head will go up or down.

There's also a recessed plastic screw for idle adjustment on the throttle body right above the ICV that can be adjusted on the Evos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick Q Matt - who are you insured with? I have found no one other than Adrian Flux who knew of the vehicle and would insure an import too.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi - stupid question but how do I post a picture? Can't work it out at all. I've taken the stepper motor off and it looks the same as the evo 7 ones on eBay.

I am insured with admiral. Most companies don't recognise the car but if you press them to search on their system for a Mitsubishi Outlander Airtrek they will find it.

Failing that they should be able to insure the car based on its chassis number.

Matt

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
as far as im aware the engines are a evo 7 engine with slightly different oil squirters (supposed to be better) they even run the same management etc the power differences come from a smaller turbo and mild cams

·
Registered
12 Posts
Matt if you can work out which will fit please let me know as i am also having the same problem and mine is off the road and making me cry untill i can replace the idle control

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
you say the crank is differant can i ask how?
i know the blocks have 2g squirters and ive personally seen the pistons and rods and there identical to the ones in my 7?

·
OEM Parts Guru
3,020 Posts
you say the crank is differant can i ask how?
i know the blocks have 2g squirters and ive personally seen the pistons and rods and there identical to the ones in my 7?
Might look the same, but the part numbers are not the same, so it will either be valve cut out size, comp ratio or construction. Without doing a metallurgy test I can't tell you exactly. 4 -7 pistons look "identical" to each other, but 5-6 can handle much more boost than 4 pistons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts