Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I’ve managed to persuade my girlfriend that driving to Italy via the Alps and back (via Germany, whoop!) would be a good 2/3-week holiday, the E6 is booked in for a service just before we plan to go (mid November) and I’m waiting the arrival of a car touring book (although I suspect I might not be quite what I’m hoping for).

What I was wondering was if anyone had any general driving on the continent tips, route suggestions or must sees on the way bearing in mind that I’m going for the drive and my girl friend for a real holiday, I considered a “detour” to Monaco but I’d really love a kick ass drive over the Alps (don’t know if I could do both).

Anyone have any thoughts, experience or ideas I’d be glad to bring you a bottle of plonk back.

Ta
Def.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From my holiday days in France there are some top roads in and coming South off the massif central area of France. Trouble is most people drive like there half asleep. Actually thats the same as here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oli goon,
Sorry I don't know the region at all but I've checked things out on the web, looks very impressive, do you think Lyon is worth a visit/stop over? would you cross into Switzerland or Italy?

SuperL,
yeah I must say I'm still impressed at myself for pulling it off ;)

Thanks
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hav done a bit of motorcycling on the continent, I found that if you want to stay off the auto routes then go down the west side of the country then across the edge of the pyrenees, follow the coast to nice then take the route through the alps to the tende past (tunnel du tende) via sospel.

fantastic...I suggest you use F1 hotels, very cheap, very clean and they are all over the shop.

get in touch with claudiusk. he will sort you out with tips etc especially on the weatherside in the alps. he may even buy you un bierre while you are there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob,
I'm not too worried about staying off the auto routes as I don't expect to stay for more than a week in France and that includes going through it twice (once in each direction), even so I'm beginning to think I could spend the full 2 weeks in France alone....

As for the tunnel du tende, the name suggests a tunnel (obvious I know), I did want to drive over the alps for the view and weaving roads over a sheer drop, would this route still give me that view?

I was hoping that claudiusk would see this thread .... ;)

Thanks for the advice; I'll check out the F1 hotels (appealing name)

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive just recently come back from germany, hannover, i drove there, tell u what its great fun on the autobahns, i took my rover 600, didnt get the chance to service my 6 before i went so i couldnt take that. Anyway, those germans r crazy, seeing some overtake when your doin about 140 is just brilliant, more fun though is overtaking them, they certainly didnt like seeing a rover with a birish plate overtaking mercs, beemers audis etc :), scary at night when its raining, there were no cats eyes in the road or street lighting, its pitch black...at least on the way to Hanover it was.
I didnt find it too hard to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road, rather unsettling at first, but u really dont notice after a while

Have a good holiday

Prit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm really looking forward to the autobahns too, I'm planning to take the E6 to its limit (providing I can find a quiet enough moment:))

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boowhoa! Cant believe that you guys miss me after 3 1/2 hrs offline! Let me do some driving in addition to talking shít on here as well! ;)

Anyway, obviously when one of you guy comes down here, he is more than welcome, especially when he brings the car along (did you hear that daz? ;)) I might indeed even consider buying you a bière or a Ricard (hehe not sure you'll like that).

The roads in this area are fantastic, just what the Evo was made for, why do you think there are so many of the WRC rallies in this small region (San Remo, Monte Carlo, Tour de Corse)? We can drive up to Sospel, Turini, Col de Bruisse etc. A complete different type of landscape: you get to drive up the hills via those twisty roads, there was even snow in Turini in March when I drove up there with MAXI. It was 16 C here in Monaco and like 2 or 3 C up there, really amazing. Dont know if there are sheep there, I was concentrating on the road, maybe ask MAXI:D Just kidding, there are sheep. (What do you want the sheep for???) Hehe, I dont think you'll go any further once you've been here.

Forget Switzerland, they pulled my father over although he was respecting the speed limit of a ridiculous 120 KMH and told him he just did 122, no joke, and that normally they would fine him but that maybe he was not paying attention (!!) etc, told him how bad speeding is and that he should drive carefully(!!!) Seriously, fines there are HUGE, it's no fun at all.

Italy is nice, people are really cool, but they all drive these old rusty POS and when you are stuck behind one then you are stuck for a long time. MAXI and I always drive up the roads nighttime or weekdays.

What's the fun of driving 250 kmh on the highway??? My daddy's car goes 290 or something. No fun either.

Let us know when you come

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Driving on the Autobahn ain't great fun, but I think the thrill for people that haven't grown up with the autobahns is that they are actually allowed to drive as fast as they can. One thing to look out for in Belgium and France, if you're speeding (I think over 40km/h over the speedlimit) they can impound your car and take your driving licence. Happened to colleague of my dad's in Antwerpen. Over 100ks in a 60k zone and that was his driving licence gone on the spot for two months I think. I've even heard stories that French police are allowed to take your car and auction it off if you're 40ks over the limit, but I ain't to sure about that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Claudius,

I'm still coming over in January my friend - with my car. I'm sorting out the details for the french motorail at the moment so I can cut out all the boring driving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ryan,

go to see claudius, then let him take you to the tende pass (towards tunnell) can be easily achieved in a day from monaco. the sheer drops are cool, the mountain streams are amazing, no sheep that i saw and not much traffic either,

if you meet us at the pod on the 14th. I could arrange for some picies for youto view.

let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Claudius,
I was looking for a good excuse (any excuse actually) to drive down to Monaco and I'll even join you in a Ricard (after I'm drunk).

It sounds like a real good plan, we should be heading down that way mid November, I'll give you dates when I know myself an d we can maybe arrange something, when would be best for you, the weekend?

(Do I even want an explanation about the sheep?)

I was a little bit dubious about Switzerland too after talking to a few friends that actually live out there, they ain't exactly know as a great car loving nation are they...I think I be going for a quick run into Italy though.

Michael/Claudius,
I'm not really after fun driving on the Autobahn, I simply want to see how fast my car will go (with me in it), UK public roads ain't the place to do it and the few tracks I've been on haven’t been big enough to see....I don't plan stopping in Germany, just driving through it :) Really fast :D

Michael,
Didn't know about getting the car impounded, that's a little worrying as radar detectors are banned in France too, anyone know if they are anywhere else?

Take my car, NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Claudius tell me this ain't so!

Thanks
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rob,
Yeah you're right, there is nothing like having local knowledge at its best, If Claudius is happy for me to just turn up, I'll defiantly go :D perhaps I could bring a sheep with me....

Yup I'll now defiantly be at Pod on the 14th so bring your photo album ;)

Ta
Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, if anyone else wants to join us for part (or all) of the trip or meet up along the way please drop me a line

The route so far (although there will be additions) is looking something like this

Eurotunnel
France (multiple stops to buy wine)
France - Monaco
Italy - Milan (and maybe another)
Austria - Salzburg (maybe)
Drive through Germany (very quickly)
France (not sure where)
Belgium - Brugge
Eurotunnel

Ta Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Def, i would avoid Lyon as its big and not much fun. But thats about the limit of my knowledge as it was a few years ago i was there. Seem to remember going through Le Puy (big rocky towers) though.

Micheal, that's some scary **** alright. Whenever I've been in France I'd assumed that they posted all speed limits in mph not kph - can't remember what just keeping up with the traffic officer is in French. Mind you my french is crap at the best of times, for example went into tyre place coz i had a puncture Mon pneu cest and made deflating type noise. Anyway chappie understood OK.

Prit must be the 600 turbo to seriously worry the Germans. Seriously underated motor that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The funniest thing about driving thru Germany will be that they will think your Evo is slow because a lot of slow POSs go over that, usually between 280 and 300 kmh. Isnt that funny? ;)

I read indeed that they confiscated someone's Modena in France, but the guy was doing almost 300 kmh, plus he was German and had Swiss licence plates, about the worst you can be / have / do in France. If you go under 40 kmh above the limit (130|PLS|40|EQU|170) they will make you pay 600 FRF right away. These 170 are 170 after the error margin from the radar has been deducted, so you can go 180. Not to risk a fine you'll have to stick to 150 (they measure from 148,5 kmh onwards, below is fine).
French Police will not normally take your car because you speed, but they could if they wanted to (after all I guess you do not bring guns with you, but they do!). Just tell them how much you love France and that they have the best highways in the world (which is true) and that there is so much traffic where you are and that you know you should have gone to Germany but that you dont like it (at which point they will consider letting you go) and that there was nobody there that you could possibly have endangered (this is the part that makes speeding a problem: other people). Also try talking about rallying and how good Peugeot are.

I will be available in November to show / drive / slide you around, no problem. Just send me an email before you come.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts