Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Who does a 2 piece brake kit for a 6 ? Looking for a cross drilled disc with a seperate mounting bell.

I will be using the standard brembo calipers.

Fast Road application only.

Thanks,

Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
daz.

give dragon (01206 791919) a call they do a 2 piece, which they guarantee, price doesnt seem that bad, if not it is just all the usual suspects: AP, Godspeed, Movit etc..

are yours knackered??

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
having warped my brakes and not wanting to go AP due to expense I've been following this closely.

options are:-

ctf
pro Claudius and Maxi have them no warps
con difficult to get hold of
price ~£400

godspeed
pro Adv had them and no warps
con adv sold them to his mate who warped them
price £450

les hunter
pro Andrewn had them (but not yet for long) no warps
con les hunter is new zealand based
price ~£400

brembo (2 piece)
pro adv's mate had some (but not for long) no warps
con brembo std disks are crap
price ~£400?

dragon
pro many had these
con some have warped
price?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Why is it difficult to get hold of CFTs? Dont you have a computer and a credit card or a telephone?? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I would be interested to see Daz which way you go on this. I have been running a set of Dragon discs (by the way, they don't warrant them against warping anymore) for the last 5000 miles or so. I first ran them with Mintex FR4 pads and the setup seemed very good apart from the pad squeal to begin with. Then I did a track day at Donnington. They were superb all day, but withing a few weeks of normal driving after that, they warped. I got someone to skim them and then did around 3500 miles with EBC Greenstuff pads. Even did a track day at Bedford like that. The discs didn't warp but the pads were hopeless for anthing other than average braking. I have just recently fitted a set of Pagid RS4-2-1 pads and they appear really good. However, I can detect that the discs are just starting to go again. Also, while the car was in at Ralliart this week for service, they pointed out heat cracks appearing from some of the cross drilled holes.
Anyway, I'm doing a track day at Beford next month and that'll probably finish them off :D

I will therefore shortly be looking for a replacement set. The CTF ones sounds interesting. Does anyone know where you can get them in the UK?

Ian

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Droid! :)

Finally someone with a more open mind! You bought a German car (ok, that was a mistake, but what the hell :D) and now consider Italian discs?!! I can tell you I havent managed to warp them, neither has MAXI. We drive on the road at least as hard as you guys on track days and cant warp them. They get orange, red, the brake fluid boils, the wheels look like ****, but those discs just dont warp.

I dont think you can get them in the UK. MAXI and I may, however, given our generous, warm and attaching personalities, consider getting them shipped to you buy initiating fax and email communications in Italian language, if you so desire. :)

Daz

We met when I ran in the discs. I braked early but was not gentle. Do you agree? Come and try them! Just get them and be over and done with the problem without spending major money for AP or Movit kits.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
What are the symptoms of warped discs? After a light track day I have an annoying vibration when breaking.

Is there a website where I can take a look at CTF rotors? How do they compare to AP?

I'm also tempted to go for one of the AP kits, but cost is an issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I would like to clarify my previous post.

I mentioned I felt a vibration when breaking, but it's not filtered through the steering wheel or the brake pedal. I don't know if that's a symptom of warped discs, but it's very annoying.

I use OEM rotors and calipers and Pagid RS-4-2-1 pads.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Rallyman

If you feel a vibration through the steering wheel, your brake discs are not only warped, but, please forgive the expression, fucked!
If you feel the virbration through the pedal, it might be that they are starting to warp.

There is a web site for CTF, let me find it for you.

Claudius

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Damn Ian, I had been looking for it for 15 minutes! :(

Anyway, here's a picture of the Composito model I have, cross-drilled and grooved with separate aluminium bell. The bell on this picture is blue, but it can be ordered in red or without anodizing.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Junichi,

Do you know then what makes these discs less susceptible to warping than any other 2 piece disc. If I'm to spend 500 quid (plus whatever it costs to import), I'd want to them to last a damn site longer than the dragon ones i've currently got.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, you had better listen! :)

Ian

I have no idea why English discs warp, I have never tried them. I have had my discs on for 7000 miles andthey used approx 2mm of disc. That is at least another 10.000 miles to go. And I use them hard. Didnt it say something about heat treatment or special manufacturing process on that site?

Another good point is that IF they warp or are used up, you only change the disc, not the bell. Saves lots of cash too. MichaelK has just got his, we will put them on on Monday or Tuesday and run them in with Pagid pads...

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the information.

I read very good comments about Dragon kits a while back in this forum. Now it looks like the sentiment is not that positive towards them anymore.

What's the price difference between Dragon and CTF? How do they compare with the discs supplied in the AP kits?

If I decide to buy any of these kits and I'm still not happy with the brakes, will I be able to fit AP calipers (4 or 6 pot) in the future?

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Rallymuchacho,

No you cant, the AP kits have bigger discs.

The Dragons have warped, are not guaranteed against warping anymore and I would say should be forgotten about. Godspeed dont fit correctly and warp as well. The OEM or GrN one piece are shite and intended for 1 SS only anyway.

CTF discs have not warped so far, although they got orange and almost white. Pagid RS 14 resist well but ended up with small cracks. They cannot take more than 800 °C. If you want to get Carbon fiber brake discs and pads, front and rear, that resist to 1300 °C, email Fair Import in France, cost about GBP 1000. The guy from Fair Import can get you ANYTHING from Japan and has very good prices, about 20 to 40% cheaper than UK. He said these discs become orange, yellow, white but DONT FADE and dont warp. :D hehe I wonder what color my calipers will end up with these!

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Claudius , What are you on about our discs dont fit properly and warp , to date we have sold 23 pairs of discs and bells and have been notified of 1 pair that has warped , The discs that Andre could not warp with all the track days he did with very hard pads , he sold them second hand and we are told the second owner has warped them , What are you on about they dont fit , We have fitted about 10 pairs ourselves for customers with no prblems , Perhaps you should get your facts right before giving out your opinion . Ian

1 - 20 of 33 Posts