Lancer Register Forum banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Good work!

Did you also check p/v clearance, or did I miss that?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
adwo: Piston to valve...we did not. Figured it would be more likely we would mess something up be disassembly now compared to likelihood the semi stock parts create any issues. We only skimmed the head and block surface .1 mm each...and the cams are Stage 1 GSC models - only slightly more than OEM. Comments?

Set the timing on the camshafts...hopefully we did this correctly!

Intake cam mark:

Exhaust cam mark:

Crank mark:

Hydraulic tensioner setting...grenade pin slides freely in and out:

Does this look close enough?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Personally I would do p/v after a skim and combined with after market camshafts that need to be dialed in.

I did it on my build, but doing everything twice was quite time consuming.

Timing looks perfect to me!

Cheers,

Adwo

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
adwo: Thanks for the timing confirmation! We elected to leave it alone and take a bit of risk that .2 mm and mild cams is conservative enough to have minimal issues...compared to us popping the head back off. No argument your way is optimal. We are starting to hit time compression...

Little body work:

Pulled the front bumper...10 bolts/clips and off. Nice storage, eh?:

Cleaning the oil cooler areas...looks original (maybe not the horns):

Pulled the oil cooler...been exposed to elements for 6 years...look for an aftermarket replacement. Quite a light install actually:

New set of heater hoses...Mitsu sells as a kit - quite reasonable. Likely the high quality OEM rubber was good for another 20 years though:

Little driveline work:

New transfer case o-rings...big and small:

And a little engine work...wrapping the assembly up...

Assistant mesmerized at the valvetrain as she turns the engine over for the first time...

Once satisfied...pulled the hydraulic tensioner's grenade pin:

On to torqueing bolts - exhaust...figured afterward that pulling the heat shield provides nearly full access!:

We then realized we may not have torqued the cam timing belt adjustable pulley...so off cam the front cam drive once again...and messing up the belt tensioning...lots to learn!

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Not long now until the big fire up.
Im presuming your daughter will be learning how to drive in it, as a reward for all her hard work :LOL:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 · (Edited)
Some real progress!

More new vacuum manifolding:

Some metal reworking after dad demonstrated how soft aluminum will dent on the cam sensor housing if dropped (ack!)...assistant was happy to put the Dremel to it:

And install...final major component along with the AIR system tubing:

And a few bolts/covers to produce a complete powerplant:

Worked out the borrowed hoist and connecting apparatus without damaging the freshly coated valve cover (lucky!)...and installed the Cusco/Exedy two disc clutch - looks usable and light - 12 pound flywheel:

Friend also lent me a scale...119 kgs (262 pounds) for a near fully dressed 4G63 bullet (intake to turbo with alternator) - nice for ~400 CHP capability:

Big step:

And IN!:

Trans/transfer case install, fuel pump replacement, and awaiting the Russ Fellows exhaust to delivery...several other bits and pieces too...nonetheless, big stress reduction!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Babou88 - thanks!

We continue to analyze all the connections...most appear to fall into place once we begin - scavenger hunt in some cases...

Few minutes today to install a new front badge:

Complete!:

And used an entire roll of paper towels to work on this:

Probably not worth is, but clean is more enjoyable...

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 · (Edited)
Not much improvement, but I feel better. Installing a new throwout bearing (the new fork lacked a bushing - oops):

Popped in the refreshed OEM injectors (we hope they will be too small!):

Some young lady fun...jeez - stay on task!:

Back to the trans...on the move - balanced on a floor jack...precariously:

And Installed...hairy leg is mine...she was a bit too fragile for this part - served as eyes for the block to bellhousing alignment. Once we realized the idler pulley and belt tensioner should be removed to allow the motor to drop angle further - it all fit together...with some muscle:

Positive progress!

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,838 Posts
WOW great progress again :D

Reactions: Tim M

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
H18BY0: Thanks!...We go in spurts...

Good 8 hours in the garage today...finally!

Idler and belt tensioner reinstalled:

Starter installed:

New slave installed...after working the clutch fork to engage the clutch collar successfully! Then bled all the black fluid out - first time I've gotten to work the pedal while someone else turns the bleeder - nice! And big news is we have full clutch movement - little concerned over the twin disk install:

Then to the intercooler pull and rinse out of debris and in this case quite a bit of oily residue which I would expect is normal:

Simple Green to the rescue! Rinsed several times...:

Drying setup...that hairdryer has many garage hours on it!:

Drained the transmission...hadn't been serviced recently - the rather impressive drain plug magnet contained an impressive amount of debris:

Assistant went about refilling the box with nearly 2 quarts of fluid until she mentioned it seemed to be draining out another hole in the transmission! Well, guess we should wait to refill until the transfer case is install - appear to share some fluid pathways...oops.

We did arrange the shifter cables appropriately and popped them on (missing the hardware though!)...and we have gears! Little lady couldn't wait to hop in and do some gear jamming! Shifter seems a ok...at least statically.

Much time was used finding the correct or close enough bolt from the stash. Couple of cases we resorted in trimming a few threads - interesting she loves the Dremel...so did I as a kid (and adult)!:

Transfer case weigh in...59.6 pounds:

Fun shot:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Christopher - my pleasure! Exhaust is expected tomorrow...should be good for HP...just hope it doesn't wake up the entire block on cold start!

Second order of 'T' adapter fittings arrived - this time German made vice the Speedway Motors in Nebraska (Chinese!). The first attempt did not have enough taper on the threads to allow even starting thread engagement. Hopefully these are acceptable as these seem to be geared toward hot water systems...SS metal construction:

The install above the transfer case (not yet installed) into the back of the block - the OEM sensor and the Autometer sender:

And the 60 pound transfer case...bench lifted with little fanfare as it quickly guided its way home and bolts easily accessed. 5 of the 7 are new as they were nowhere to be found - glad Mitsubushi parts are plentiful!:

141 - 155 of 155 Posts