Lancer Register Forum banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Also, had the friendly machine shop 'hot tank' the original oil pan:

We will likely start with this pan and upgrade to one with 'trap doors' to avoid any issue with oil starvation...at a later date. The money tree is getting thin!

Also had the shop measure our Mahle pistons...piston to wall clearance works out to be .05 mm = .002 inch. Seems a bit tight, but that is what the piston calls for.

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,838 Posts
Can't wait to see finished :D

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Hallo Tim !

Thanks for the update.

Have you some reviews for the BF goodrich tire?
I don't know this brand and this tire in particular.

Is it similar to AD08RS ? or more like R888R or federal ?
where do you find it in Europe?

Best regards
Bastien

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
H18BYO: Life continues to get in the way...two weekends worth of camping and then scuba training. All the activities coming together at once...

babou88: BFG Rival S 1.5's. Likely it is a US only tire, but I receive them thru my US contacts. I've consumed ~5 sets of these in the past and enjoy that they can be rotated and reasonably long wearing. There are faster tires, but I'm not the fastest driver either. :)

A comparison I located: LINK

Little lady's time is hard to comeby...

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Exciting package arrived from...Australia via Seattle! New airbox and turbo inlet from ATP:

Unboxing:

Ready for install...we will have to measure for a sizeable K+N filter:

Test fit...clean setup!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
adwo: Thanks...we enjoy the images too. I believe the MonsterSport provides a bit of sealing/pressurize compared to this one...no sealing, but it does provide some protection from the hot air and finishes off the engine bay nicely.

School is out and I got a half a day with the little lady...

Mounted up the Rivals - a bit better than 235 / 6 year old snow tires:

They even let my assistant do the balance - high tech machine makes it tough to error:

Then to the cylinder case - final cleaning - suds...oil passages and cylinder scrub:

Put my decades old air reservoir to use with 100 psi of free air:

And then my secret weapon (air tank empties quick!) of the hair dryer until the block is nice and hot:

More than a couple war wounds:

None on the assistant!

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I would have loved to have you as a father, growing up😂
The money i would have saved having the knowledge to build everything myself.......
My daughter loves coming out cruising in my cars, but i don't think id be brave enough to let her wash them, whilst your daughter is helping build engines!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Well, you know I'm attempting to make up for all my other downfalls...;-) Thanks.

Few minutes on the Evo...popped the new window seals in after cleaning/waxing:

And interior is 95% so in went the new floor mats - a nice splash of color:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Thanks to an unexpected day off...we got started on the 'bullet':

Piston squirters install:

Crank cleaning:

Popping OEM size 1 bearings in place:

Interesting thrust bearing install:

Plastigauge demonstration...first time using:

Seemed to work...good clearances:

Crank is done:

Some blood letting occurred...thanks to the floating pin 'C' clips - flat blades makes some deep cuts!:

So far so good...look to hang pistons and ring install tomorrow...

And...package from the Uk arrived to top the engine compartment off...slick Kansai Service strut bar:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I should have included a thanks to Mita for the Kansai Service accessory - very nice!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
Another fun day in the garage...

Threading rings - she got pretty good by #4 nearly performing the install solo!:

Hanging pistons...took 3 hands:

First piston going in - the ARP ring compressor is expensive, but when you damage a ring using a universal...and spend an extra $100 for another set of rings...:

Finally, temp installed oil pan:

Unfortunately, the supervisor missed a rod cap installed backward resulting in a 'tight' rotating assembly...once discovered the offending rod bearing looked a bit worse for wear...likely putting us on hold until a replacement arrives...

Pivoting to other tasks...completed draining the 7 gallons of 6+ year old fuel - fortunately, no water nor rust flakes came out:

The novelty of the fuel smell wore off...but she persevered with pulling the plugs on both side (saddle tank) - nice to have a drain plug!

Nice comparison between mostly OEM (HKS mushroom filter) to the ATP set up - got to be worth 5 HP?:

Fun shot with the bigger Rival's installed - the refinished calipers add a bit of pop!

Not a bad weekend!

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Another task complete...we have brakes!

Took 2.5 containers of RBF600 before the pedal appeared:

She worked the pedal and I worked the bleeder for this go around:

Also took liberty to fit a portion of the newly acquired strut bar...going to look nice!

And surprisingly the offending rod bearing showed up in the mail...

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Humps85- thanks!

Some real progress! Replacement rod bearing showed up...comparison:

Second time around it went together smoothly and effortlessly - complete bottom end:

and topside:

Gasket installation:

Freshly assembled cylinder head:

Long block - starting to look like a real engine!

Happy with the result...

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
While installed the cylinder head, it became evident the larger aftermarket valve springs and ARP head stud washers wanted to occupy the same real-estate...so out came the Dremel - an amazing tool. Three washers received minor scallops...easy-peasey:

Also updated the head oil system with a Kiggly hydraulic lash adjuster regulator...OEM apparently pumps excess oil to the top - OEM:

Kiggly 15 psi model:

Folks on the forums suggested to pull the valve cover oil baffles if blast media was used to prep the powdercoating...I was leery as I saw next to nothing especially after a thorough clean/blasting. But I did still see something and the coater mentioned the factory finish required a bit of blasting (and they taped it off well)...so out came the Dremel to top all the 'rivets'...I was quite shocked to see the debris hiding!:

It was far worse than I expected - thanks for the suggestion!

Post-cleaning...and no engine damage!:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
interbishi: Thanks...but already ordered. Our measurements seem to show something slightly larger...wonder if it will fit!

Our unfamiliarity of this powerplant is becoming evident...lots of trial fitting and to verify what we are missing...fun!

Temp installed our stage 1 GSC cams (should be rather tame) to replace the unknown Cosworths:

Close - certainly a nice finish!:

Interesting...is this 'crack' of concern? Is this the excuse for us to be looking at one of those new Force Performance cast manifolds...;-):

Close:

Starting to really look like a something...all temp installed...:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Dropped the exhaust today for a close look see...downpipe comparison:

Inlet (should be good increase in flow:

Outlet:

The bad...the cat and rearward is a disappointment. This will add nearly a grand to the project cost...major leak among 2:

Been outside for a bit:

And the insides coming out:

and when attempting to weigh (52 pounds cat and rear portion):

With all the positive reviews on this Forum...believe we are going to try a Russ Fellows exhaust. Positives: full 3 inch, lower noise (extended silencer), light weight (very direct), bit lower in cost. Negatives: lightweight construction (longevity?) and angled muffler...not my cup of tea.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts