Lancer Register Forum banner
221 - 240 of 262 Posts

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
More miles and more smiles! Really enjoy driving this car over others. Perfect for my urban commute and taxi service to the family. It just works - no overheating, no leaks, small yet 4 doors and 4 folks able...quick steering never gets old. Just need to get it tuned! Seriously considering a Link ECU and move on...

Quick project...new shift boot to replace the aged original - admittedly, now it doesn't look much of a difference. Comparison old versus new:

Complete - such an easy car to work on - love Japanese:

Also investigated fresh speakers...wondered if our Tweeters are OEM. Seems not all have them - ours appear to be OEM - from part number to the ready for install door panel. Of course, our originals are broke too:

And lower door speaker:

Size:

I'm not a fan of much of anything, but powerplant sounds...co-pilot desires Bluetooth...will look for an inexpensive, simple system.

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Finally, got some time in the garage - ordered/received a Perrin Oil Filter Sandwich plate for the oil temperature sensor:

Originally installed in the OEM oil pan drain plug - but hardly got to 140 degrees, which didn't seem accurate. We then moved to a RaceFab pan and the custom drain plug/sensor no longer fit. The Perrin plate made install simply...although the filter now sits 1 inch lower to road debris...

Short trip down the highway returned 200 degree oil temps at 78 mph (~3600 rpm). About what I expected. We do acknowledge that a oil cooler should be installed eventually.

· Premium Member
299 Posts
Hello.

Do you know you can normally fit oil temperature sensor (and one pressure oil sensor if you want) on the OEM Oil filter basis ?

(don't know if it's the good word in english)

I monitore Oil pressure and Oil temp on my evo with 2 sensors on the OEM Oil filter Support (or mount?) this part:

do you know this or is it a specifical reason you put au sandwhich plate ?

(it's not a critic, just want to know?)

I can make you a picture of the sensors on my car if you want.

And : WOW, for a couple of minute, i think the Oil Temp at 200° is too much high ... but after that I realize you tell the temp in °F and no °c !!!

best wishes!

Bastien

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
babou88: We are aware of the ports on the oil filter housing...actually using one from the oil pressure sender. But was not smart enough to figure/locate an adapter for the Auto Meter temperature sensor. ;-) The oil filter plate was an easy button purchase...likely not the best though. May rethink in the future - appreciate the detailed description!

Another 450 km run up the road confirms that:

1) At least 1 strut is dead along with a top mount.
2) Understand the need for an oil cooler...sustained 4200 rpm cruise equals 235 degree oil temps! Wow! Will pursue a cooler as the factory did it.
3) The driver's side window now makes crunching sounds and won't go up...new motor and regulator is in the cart for order...
4) Really need it tuned so we feel comfortable above 150 km/h...;-)

We did pull the trigger today on a Link G4X ECU...along with an AIT sensor and bung (for installation into the post-intercooler tubing). Expensive, but adaptable and hopefully user-friendly enough that even a caveman can do it!

Also, made an attempt to add tunes to the car:

Rear speakers are in stalled physically...need the electrical connections - not a plug and play, unfortunately.

Door speakers won't be as simple. The Alpine tweeters we received are too large and will require us to cut the door panels - not desireable. Looking at options...

· Premium Member
1,061 Posts
With respect to oil temp: Celsius or Fahrenheit?

That makes quite a difference, 235 Fahrenheit is 112 Celsius, which is too high for the RPM you mentioned.

You should and cannot drive the car without a (factory) oil cooler..

Cheers,

Adwo

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
adwo: It is Fahrenheit. 235 is high, but within the tolerance of good synthetic oil. I do agree a cooler is required, but many have deleted the cooler with little effects. We only did it temporarily...making sure the engine wasn't going to frag itself! Still not sure on that one yet.

Over 4000 kms now...got a break for the garage...worked the stereo install to gain Bluetooth as per the boss (young assistant):

Pulled the Sony Mini Disc Player and this was waiting for us:

Then got concerned when I noticed several unplugged connectors after pulling...so attempted to start the car...it ignited, but died immediately. Hmmm. Wondered if the previous owner installed Turbo Timer had something to do with it. So also opened up beneath the steering wheel...lots of fun!:

In the end, not sure what I did, but unplugged everything and car restarted fine!

The excess wires / turbo timer removal:

And the head unit plugged in with the Crutchfield adapter harness for an Evo 7! Lucky everything carried over year to year and JDM to USDM...

We have tunes...via the phone music! She will be happy...unfortunately, she did not partake as final activities for the school year completely saturate her schedule...

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Assistant inspected the install and deemed it a thumb up for performance...sounds good!

Also, discussed power steering and benefits of a fluid refresh...using the 3 liters of Motul ATF...over-purchased. Dang it, we will use it all eventually as we suck out the reservoir after each drive until fully purged. Messy stuff:

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
We had a driver's side front door go pop...and stuck in the down position. I had noticed that someone had been under the door panel previously, so assume it has had issues before so ordered up a new motor and regulator from Japan - shipping was nearly the cost of the parts! Hope to get to this tomorrow...

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
The Assistant lent me a hand in exchanging the PS fluid once again...keeps getting redder with each swap!:

And partook in the window lift change - big help with another set of hands finagling the lift mechanism in and out as well as the window security so it didn't break into a thousand pieces!

and complete! (with old on the ground):

Believe we settled on a set of Ohlins struts...tired of the wobbly feeling! And still waiting for shipping info on the Link ECU...3 weeks now...hmm.

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 · (Edited)
adwo: Thanks! For that-an update finally!

We've got 6000 kms on the car with nary an issue. Although we haven't gone WOT except once! An absolute record for my ownership. I'm tired of it, so a Link ECU was ordered and finally received after 2.5 months!:

and the associated Intake Air Temperature sensor/bung:

I'm hoping we can receive a near program and either begin to learn the intricacies of a turbo 4 cylinder combination or pass to a remote tuner. Nonetheless, we need to feel the thrust of this automobile!

Additionally, we received these in the mail from GBE:

These are shims for the front struts to mount EVO 7-9 struts to the OEM Evo 5 uprights with supposedly no machine work. The follow-on comment is an order for the Evo 7-9 Ohlins struts...from TireRack in the USA. They have them in stock, 2 weeks shipping, no import tax.

Last major item other than the above is an oil cooler...currently bypassed. We will see if our motor build will take 8000 rpm before we add the assembly...should be fun!

· Premium Member
299 Posts
Great Tim!

Ohlins is a very good choice I think, it's smooth and better than OEM in the same time, perfect for me/

just a question : ok for the shims from GBE to put Ohlins on Evo 5/6 ... but what are these ? :

best regards
Bastien

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
babou88: GBE's site shows the brackets are for attaching the brakelines/ABS sensor to...I don't have the Ohlins yet to see what we are working with, but a good pic here:

Getting prepared for the new struts arrival...laying out new suspension hardware...hoping I've ordered the correct bits (several weeks in process!). The alignment pro suggested new eccentrics, etc to ensure the alignment stays what is should be - I'm ok with that - new hardware is always pleasant to work with. The struts should arrive this week...2750 USD for the Evo 8 dampers! Ouch.

Quick cleaning - two folks makes short work!:

And taking in the Top Gun movie...parked in the nicely lit car park:

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 · (Edited)
TimC: We agree...great platform that is easy to work on. 6500 kms covered with nearly as many smiles! We came out to the parking lot tonight and the younger generation was snapping pics of the car! We are glad others have an appreciation for this age of Japanese machines.

Great news: package arrived with Ohlins inside!

Bad news: we were sent Evo X model struts. Instead of the required "01" part number, we received the "10" part. Bummer...another 2-3 week wait. Kudos to the customer service though...just 4 hours later, they have shipped the correct models...not even requesting payment hold for the extra set. Impressive in this day and age...although we've been a customer with the company for like 20 years.

· Premium Member
1,061 Posts
What a bummer.. Anyone who knows anything about Evo’s wouldn’t make that mistake..

Let’s hope the correct Öhlins show up soon!

I have the Öhlins DFV on my Polestar 2 daily driver and very much impressed by them.

On the Evo I’m running Proflex Evo 2 suspension, but forgot how that feels as I haven’t driven the car in 7 years..

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
adwo: We have only heard good things about them...except maybe the price. ;-)

Amazingly, package arrived in record time...the correct Ohlins:

The parts:

Some impressive pieces...mostly aluminum. Fronts weigh in at 13.2 pounds and rears 8.5. Cuts over 6 pounds compared to the Bilsteins.

The part numbers:

The assembly:

Off with the wheels to install the rears!

Comparison between old and new...hmm:

Installed:

As received - these are low - notice the dragging rear! We extended the units 10 turns and we gained another .6 inch...back to previous ride height. Pretty slick setups. Will install the fronts once we confirm an alignment appointment.

· Premium Member
299 Posts
Great Work!

assembling and put on a car new parts , especially beautiful and efficient as those Ohlins is always rewarding !

I have the same parts on my car, and I am on the max height adjustement the ohlins can be done (+10mm from the recommended position for the front and 15mm for the rear).

I would prefer a little bit high but it's not possible (according to the Ohlins Manual)

go for the front now! :p

Bastien

· Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Bastien - couldn't resist!

Can't leave these things on the floor any longer:

Install was easy peasy...especially after I recalled I had a 20 year old camber guage:

Even the assistant was getting into it...confirming current and making the new install the same:

Old versus new:

Interesting, we had to lower the fronts 10 mm compared to extending the rears 20 mm

Initial drive shows an improvement, to say the least! Ride quality included...we'll see if it was worth $2800...

221 - 240 of 262 Posts