Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any difference between the 2 sizes performance wise?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
It depends on what the wheel weighs as that is the overwhelming factor. The stock 17" wheels (most OE wheels) are fairly heavy and the best forged wheels will be significantly lighter even in the larger size.

You also need to take the weight of the tyre into account though. A bigger tyre will clearly weigh more...

Paul

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah well i bought them earlier as had no responce, never mind.. got some evo x ones so hopefully gonna look good on my 7

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I had the 17" and 18" alloys on my 8
Only 0.9 kg in them in weight
The 17" are alot sharper to turn in,
17" are defo alot better drive
I've just gone from the standard 17" Enkei's to a Magnesium 18", Although I've upped the size of the rim, I've lowered the profile of the tyre....the 17's were doing 984 revolutions per mile I'm yet to work out the revolutions on the newer 18"s with the lower profile. :rolleyes:

However the fact my alloys now way 10.4kgs has certainly seemed to of made a difference it the handling, not sure if it's a good way or a bad way as being used to the 17's for so long the new sharper turning in is catching me off guard on the few hundred miles I've done on them. :confused:

I'd say that weight is your enemy more that alloy size, a light weight 18 has to be better than a heavy 17, but there is a chart somewhere on here that will tell you the revolutions that each tyre will give you....and from that you can work out a very small negotiable difference. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you know if the evo x alloys weigh less than evo 7 ones?

·
Registered
20,154 Posts
Mark, stock 9 alloy weighs in at 9.2kg mate,
Which is heavy for a 17x 8j
My 18s were 8.5kg
The width of the tyre makes a big difference,
My 18 have 255 on //the 17 have 225 on,

·
acting daft since 1969
19,591 Posts
some rally lads have found the differance on 9 as they holomoligated 18s for this year instead of 17s that thay ran last ,some found there cars to be quick skictish ,and quite vauge ,its all to do with the side wall give i think

if your doing track days tho 18s are allot cheaper to buy and easyer to find

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Mark, stock 9 alloy weighs in at 9.2kg mate,
Which is heavy for a 17x 8j
My 18s were 8.5kg
The width of the tyre makes a big difference,
My 18 have 255 on //the 17 have 225 on,
Thanks mate, I'll have to check into those weights then.....somethings a miss as the guys that fitted said that they were ultra light and the one's that come off the car I weighed on our bathroom scales complete with air and tyres and they were at 19.2 kgs. Perhaps the 10.4kgs quoted in the OZ information was inclusive of tyre as well? :confused: Bit confused now.

I'll probably have one off tomorrow and compare it against the evo 9 standard 17's I've already weighed?

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I've been wondering this myself..... if you have a 17" with 235 45 and change to an 18" which is lighter and with a lower profile say 255 35, performance wise i doubt many could tell much of a difference.
Does any one know what size rims the tuners use for time attack, and trackdays ?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Thanks mate, I'll have to check into those weights then.....somethings a miss as the guys that fitted said that they were ultra light and the one's that come off the car I weighed on our bathroom scales complete with air and tyres and they were at 19.2 kgs. Perhaps the 10.4kgs quoted in the OZ information was inclusive of tyre as well? :confused: Bit confused now.

I'll probably have one off tomorrow and compare it against the evo 9 standard 17's I've already weighed?

Regards

Mark
Are'nt the ones you have heavyer than most 18's as they are made for rallying hence stonger.:confused:

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Aren't the ones you have heavier than most 18's as they are made for rallying hence stronger.:confused:
No wouldn't have thought so I've got a great deal of muscle wastage from years of arthritis and even I managed to get the first one out the box. The Alloy that I have on my car are the same as on Simon Norris sprint and also the three other sets that he has for sale. For some reason I've got the ideal from somewhere that they were 10.4kgs each :confused:

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
No wouldn't have thought so I've got a great deal of muscle wastage from years of arthritis and even I managed to get the first one out the box. The Alloy that I have on my car are the same as on Simon Norris sprint and also the three other sets that he has for sale. For some reason I've got the ideal from somewhere that they were 10.4kgs each :confused:

Regards

Mark
10.4 kg isnt that light compared to the likes of 18" rays TE37's and CE28n.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts