Lancer Register Forum banner

18" OZ Superleggeras

382 views 18 replies 0 participants last post by  GROG 
G
#1 ·
I'm just about to buy myself a set of 18 OZ Superleggeras for my IV. Fitment isn't a problem for my car, but when I upgrade to a IV or TME, I've heard rumblings that the clearance for the Brembo's is a problem. Anyone know if this is the case?

I did see someone at Trax who had these wheels on a VI, but I'm buggered if I can remember who. Can anyone shed some light?

G
#2 ·
Re:18

You need 3mm shims for the OZs to fit a 6. I talked to a tire / wheel shop who explained this to me. I think it was Craig Hardman (deadscoob) who told me this. They are designed for the 7, that's why (cant see how this is, but that's what I've been told). Anyway 18 inch OZs are 9,8 kg each, Ralliart have that 7 spoke wheel (on the 7 extreme) that is only 7,9 kg or you could get Volk Rays 7,8 kg alloy. They are GBP 2,000 (the Volks). Remember wheel weight is very important because it is unsprung weight.

G
#3 ·

I've got the oppurtunity to by a set of works meister alloys - as fitted to the extreme 6. They are expensive, and they do look the part. However, I'm not sure if they would suit my blue makinen. They look great on a black car, but I think they maybe to 'dressy'.

G
#5 ·

Claudius,

As I've said before, I'm still not convinced that's the case. There is a member whose VI is wearing them at the moment, and when I chatted to him briefley at Trax, he didn't mention anything about them not fitting, or needing a shim. I think I might phone RC Developments and ask them. One of their demo cars had them on.

Anyone else know?

G
#7 ·

Anyone know how much used 17 OZ SL would go for If decided to sell them and get something else?

I'd like something that's lighter and easier to clean (could anything be much harder to keep clean?)

Ryan

G
#8 ·

Grog,

I have got 18 SL's on my EVO 6 and yes you need a 3mm spacer.
Well 2mm would have done but the thinest I could find is 3mm.
This is to stop the spokes catching on the Brembo caliper on the edge closest to the hub
If you fitted bigger disks and moved the caliper radially outwards it would clear OK
As the standard EVO 6 wheelnuts are flat bottomed and the SL's are countersunk and with the 3mm spacer you only get 8 full turns with the standard wheel studs which still worries me although I have been told you only need 5 full threads to be safe

G
#9 ·

I was at Trax in my E6 and have 18 superleggeras fitted, a few people asked me about them on the day. 3mm spacers give you clearance, just. I have fitted 5mm spacers because the calipers touched the wheel when they got hot. I also replaced the wheel studs with longer high tensile ones, I recommend that anyone that does trackdays should regularly change wheels studs anyway, and ALWAYS torque wheel nuts to the correct value when fitting. I have had one standard front wheel stud shear off when REMOVING it!

Clive

G
#10 ·

Nelly, Clive,

Thanks for the info! I shall bear that in mind when I swap to a VI.

Claudius,

Where have you got 9.8kg from? Are you including tyres? As far as I'm aware, they only weigh around the 8kg mark. In fact, the OZ site http://www.ozwheels.com/cd4.html even says that they're only 8kg. I can appreciate what you're saying about the Volks, but I can't afford them! I wish I was made of money, but, unfortunately, I'm not. Maybe if I hadn't recently got engaged, it may be a different story...

Hhhhmmm... There's a thought...

G
#13 ·

Can someone please clarify an obvious issue for my tiny mind?

Motorsport wheels, the importers for OZ wheels, have said that the Superleggeras will fit an EVO VI, but NOT an EVO IV.

Either I'm being REALLY stupid or have the wrong information (or both), but as far as I'm concerned, the IV, V and VI all have the same hub and stud pattern don't they?

Someone reassure me, please! I'm starting to doubt myself now! :(

G
#14 ·

GROG

I never said you should get engaged ;)

My dealer said they are 9,8 kg, that he sold a set of 18 to a customer and that they weighed them. Appearently the Italians exagerate a bit. It also depends on rim width. 8, 8,5, 9, etc. Maybe the ones my dealer sold were wider and OZ are right. Anyway, I would not fit wheels that need a shim to fit. What kind of engineering is that?

G
#15 ·

Well your not an engineer are you, so I would expect an answer like that:). In effect adding a small shim is altering the offset of the wheel slightly, and when torqued up is no different than having a wheel manufactured with that offset in the first place. If a manufacturer made wheels with every combination of offset to suit every car this would increase the price considerably.

Clive

G
#17 ·

Please tell me how you can bend a shim which is squeezed between two flat objects. They were obviously manufactured from an incorrect material specification or incorrectly fitted. Aluminium and stainless shims are used in many areas of aircraft construction which take a far higher loading than a wheel on a car! So if your theory is correct then all these million pound aircraft are badly engineered.

G
#19 ·

You sick puppy! And what do you mean you didn't tell me to get married? I only did it becuase you didn't love me anymore...

Also, can someone answer my question before I go out of my mind?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.