Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a set of 17 x 6.5JJ |PLS|45 offset OZ Racing white wheels (5-spoke design, Enkei WRC Tarmac EVO alike) for my E4 and currently on 215/40R17 Falken GRb RS Tune tires. is the combo right as i feel the tire sidewall is not as straight as in my previous 205/50R16 setup using stock E4 rims ie. 16 x 6.5JJ |PLS|46 offset OZ F1 Cup silver wheels. pls advice asap!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:17

The general guide for tyre width matching to rims (for the road) is the rim should be roughly 90% of the tyre width.
Therefore for 6.5in wheels the tyre width should be about 185/195, 205 is acceptable with some tyres, manufacturers seem to go for slightly wider tyres on the rims, probably better for comfort.
Tyre manufacturers usually recommend a range of rim widths for their tyres, looking at the Falken site for GRb FK-451 215/40 R17 (can't find 'RS tune' on any of the 3 Falken sites), the recommended rim width is 7.5in with a permitted range of 7.0in to 8.5in so unfortunately it looks like you are outside of that range :(. I must admit 17inx6.5in is a weird size for the road and probably is difficult to find!
Fitting slightly narrower width and larger apsect ratio 205/45 R17's will give a more 'upright' sidewall and it still will be within acceptable overall tyre diameter range. Only a few tyres in this size are officially approved by the manufacturer to be fitted on 6.5in rims (e.g Yokohama A520's are but AVS are not), certainly I have yet to see ANY of the larger sized 215/40 R17's tyres you have fitted that are approved by manufacturers for 6.5in rims :(.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts