Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an evo V gsr. I have HKS VPC and FCON so I can piggyback my ecu accordingly. what do i need to run 1.5 bar of boost? should an uprated fuel pump and 660 injectors be enough? or do i need to get better internals and other stuff? please help. thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i dont know mate i was told its recommended to put arp bolts on it as well and the fuel pump will be a good idea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't need different injectors! The 5 has the same sized injectors as the 6 (560cc if I remember right). To run 1.5 bar, you don't really need anything other than an uprated fuel pump. The VPC /FCON combo is difficult to setup, and you would be better off junking it and getting a proper ECU. You also need a boost controller, to be able to increase the boost, so may aswell get a new ECU - if you like the FCON/VPC then get an add-on boost controller, like the Apexi AVC-R which is probably the best one out there right now. You don't need better internals at this boost pressure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks blade. one huge problem is that I live in the states. no one really to program my ecu. closest place maybe turbo XS. they have a branch in AUS so they may have some programs. you think I should sell my FCON and VPC? or is it good enoudh for now? I don't plan to MOD my evo too muich. it's a daily driver. reading this board, you always seem to lean towards GEMS. is it user friendly? how much in US dollars? also, what kind of fuel pump do you recommend? Walboro seems to be easy to get my hands on. and how muany liters/hr should I aim for? thanks a lot!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric - if you are in the US, forget the GEMS. You need an ECU with local support. Suggest the Apexi Power FC may be a good choice for you, or a Motec.

IF you can get someone to setup the VPC and FCON right then stick with that, but it is hard from what I understand. You will need a boost controller. Going for an all-in-one ECU does mean that you get boost control too. Something simple like the Motec M4 would work for you - you keep the existing ECU, it piggybacks on it and takes over fuelling, ignition and boost control. Works fine, user friendly software too.

The reason I lean to the GEMS (apart from the fact that I have one) is that it is widely used by Group N and Group A cars in England, and is well supported mapping wise and well understand. Motec is too, but costs ALOT more and doesn;t deliver any advantage over the GEMS. Autronic is unproven in my eyes, and new - and not well supported. Link is also not well supported here, not for EVOs anyway. Link is well supported in NZ, which is one of the reasons EVOtrak likes it. Motec is supported well pretty much everywhere. Autronic is gaining support. At the end of the day, it is down to WHO maps it, as they are much of a muchness. Steve Simpson majors on GEMS ECUs in the UK and knows the car well, so maps it well - hence why I chose him (and GEMS).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again blade. I think I'm going to stick with the VPC/FCON combo since I already have the HKS EVC IV (boost controller). I will try it and see how it works. what kind of pump do you recommend? internal or external? and how much boost are those stock 550cc injectors good for. or how muich hp are they good for? thanks!

eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eric,

With no offence to Blade I'd get some further opinions on the need to upgrade internals on a 5. The pistons are different to a 6 and from my reading on this subject once you go over 1.3 bar you are getting deeper into the risk zone. Perhaps Gaz5 could help here as I believe his engine lost the plot at about 1.5.

Me - I'm sticking at 1.3 and I've done the rod bolts and upgraded the fuel pump just in case - maybe I'm just paranoid! :(

Darryl.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take it you use octane booster??

I`ll change that...... i *hope* you use octane booster??

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard some octane boosters aren't so good. any recommendations? or should I get my ecu remapped for 93 octane?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MC Custard has a 5 running standard pistons, 1.5 bar 391bhp - no problems at all.

1.5 bar is fine, but I did assume 97 octane at least.

You will end up retarding the ignition alot to deal with 93 octane, probably better off running lower boost. The 5 pistons are a slightly different design to the 6, and don't allow quite so much boost - do a scan here, there is plenty of stuff on this subject in the past.

You definitely should remap for 93, but it may be you already have with your FCON - either that or you have been suffering alot of detonation :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so if I want to run 1.5 bar or more, what should I do next? ARP bolts? uprated pistons? also, any recommendation on fuel pumps?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric - where are you located? We are int eh states too (NY), and would be happy to help get your car sorted. Not only are we a LINK dealer, but also the Ny dealer for Electromotive...one of their TEC# ecu's would fit the bill nicely. While we don't have an AWD dyn in house yet (later this summer), we are very close with the crew at turbo XS due to all the WRX work we do with them.

I also personally run the VPC, as well as an EVCIV, and a Super AFC on my GVR-4, with 660 injectors, uprated turbo, IC, etc...the VPC really isn't hard to map at all,so long as you have a datalogger (which we do, of course), and the right gauges in the car (boost and EGT).

if you need anything, just give a shout at (631)254-8277 or email at [email protected]

adam
Z-1 Performance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Original Post:
Eric - where are you located? We are int eh states too (NY), and would be happy to help get your car sorted. Not only are we a LINK dealer, but also the Ny dealer for Electromotive...one of their TEC# ecu's would fit the bill nicely. While we don't have an AWD dyn in house yet (later this summer), we are very close with the crew at turbo XS due to all the WRX work we do with them.

I also personally run the VPC, as well as an EVCIV, and a Super AFC on my GVR-4, with 660 injectors, uprated turbo, IC, etc...the VPC really isn't hard to map at all,so long as you have a datalogger (which we do, of course), and the right gauges in the car (boost and EGT).

if you need anything, just give a shout at (631)254-8277 or email at [email protected]

adam
Z-1 Performance
Hello Adam. I live in NY. Specifically Rochester, NY. I am very interested in tuning my Evo once they are released to the States.

What part of NY are you in?

Do you have a website?

Thanks.

Mordeth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blade

Remember that the US measures octane by RON|PLS|MON/2 or CLC so '93 octane' has about the same (better IIRC) resistance to knock as our 97RON. Their '91 octane' is equivalent to our 95RON PULP.

Do a google for the exact way to convert.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adam, I spoke to you before. I was they guy who wrote you a couple months ago for parts. I was referred to you by some guy on the VR4 board. remember me? my email is [email protected] I'm in VA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, I ordered my uprated fuel pump which pumps 255 lph. it's a walboro. I have my HKS VPC and FCON to manage my fuel. I have my HKS EVC IV to set my boost. am I good to go? some say arp bolts, other say no. what now?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
egt gauge, o2 monitoring and need to monitor knock as well
lots of info to monitor, how are u planning to tune it?
also u need to be aware that the more power u make the more chance of something going wrong

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks. I ordered my Air/Fuel ratio gauge to measure if my car runs lean or rich. I got the Greddy one with it's own O2 housing. supposed to be the best one on the market unless I want to pay a lot of money.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts