Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm off to TRAX this year with my stock E6 GSR and will be having a stab at the 1/4 mile for the first time, so I'm after some advice, what's the best way to do things, do I keep the clutch full in and rev up to about 4k and then quickly let the clutch out changing gear near to the rev limiter until I run out of track? Do I change slightly earlier? Do I start on the line in neutral and gently pull away changing gear just before the turbo kicks in?

Any advice will be gratefully stuffed into my brain

Thanks
Def.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Dedeffa

Depends on what clutch you have. If you have a standard clutch and want to keep it that way without a costly bill for a new clutch and flywheel, then you should really avoid these 1/4 mile drags. But If you must do it then make sure the car is moving first before flooring it
Ie. get the clutch engaged before you mash the accel pedal. This will at least help the longevity of the clutch.

If you have a uprated clutch http://194.93.140.171/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle > then the best thing to do is rev to 5K revs then sidestep and watch as all 4 wheels are spinning as you leave the line.

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I normally keep the iddle higher than normal so you havnt that far to reach turbo cut in .
As ready to launch blip throttle to get turbo spinning ,then let out clutch on second big blip of throttle ,change very quick to second if your lucky you'll do it before the revs drop,third will come quickly as well ,and just as easy to hit the red line,change to third floor the throttle and just watch the rev counter and not the speedo.Go past the line in 4th not 5th as you'll be slower on the last gear change.
3rd is an easy gear to miss .get it right and 13s terminal around 110 mph should be achieved .I would bank on around 13.3s for a standard E6 1/4 mile .
E2/4/5 I have seen in early 13s.
Bloody great fun,should get 6-8 good launches on a standard clutch before its knacked ,unless youv'e done a fair mileage already and some quick rd starts.
Couple of pointers .
carry an Ice bag with crushed Ice to put into the washer bottle for the water spray,and use it .chuck out all bits not required for driving ,tuck your wing mirrors in and don't put in much fuel.Slicks on a hot day advisable.
I did non of the above and hit a 13.5s in my E4.http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Happy straight lining.
Don't roll at beginning as this will set your time off and your fked with a 14.5 sec .
Its all revs from the start ,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise guys, lets see if it actually helps me on the day http://194.93.140.171/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Def

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shorty,

get it right and 13s terminal around 110 mph

A terminal speed of 110mph for a standard Evo 6? Not a chance.

That implies between 300-320bhp at the wheels depending on exact weight. That's
equivalent to between 350-375bhp at the flywheel.

13 sec is also pushing it (maybe for an RS).

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A Japanese magazine at the launch of the Evo clocked a 1/4 mile time (with their resident ex-professional rally driver) of 13.27 seconds for the standard Evo 1 (not sure if RS or GSR)

Why is Shorty's time so strange ? BHP vs weight is important in working out a theoretical time but so are gear ratios. Evo's are not exactly long-legged

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tony,

I was mostly querying the trap speed of 110mph. There are about a hundred trap-speed calculators out there on the internet and each one will tell you that to achieve a trap speed of 110mph needs around 300bhp at the driven wheels (for a 1200-1300kg car).

It's a common myth that shorter gear ratios affect average acceleration over a long distance. Yes, shorter gear ratios give you greater in-gear acceleration, but they also mean that you need to change gear more often (i.e. you lose the high-torque benefit of lower gears sooner). It all averages out over a suitable distance/speed range and especially so once you've changed gears a couple of times. Prove this to yourself with GT2/GT3 or get hold of CarTest (performance simulator). Some shorter ratios will make the 1/4 mile slightly better and some will make it slightly worse. Why ... ?

For very specific measurements or tracks, gear ratios can be tuned exactly so that you're not changing gear at an unwanted time (e.g. just before 60mph, 100mph or 1/4 mile) or so you're hitting peak power exactly when you want to be, but changing gear ratios in favour of one specific distance will mean another slightly different measurement losing out.

A classic trap that many people (particularly Americans) fall into is thinking that shorter gear ratios improve ones 0-60mph time. It's often the case that the 0-57mph time will be improved but shorter gearing might mean an extra gearchange required to even get to 60mph ... oops ... you've just added 0.5s to your time. Doh!

Trust me when I say it's virtually impossible for a 280bhp Evo 6 to hit a trap speed of 110mph over 1/4 mile. Go to Google and search for trap speed calculator and have a play. Trap speed is one of the most reliable ways of predicting a car's bhp output (it can sometime be more reliable than rolling roads) and tends to be the result that varies the least with different driver skills (not the case for elapsed time). Even Autocar's roadtest Evo6 only managed 107mph and that was non-standard anyway (naughty Mitsubishi!). If Mitsubishi can pull a trick like this, I'm quite prepared to believe they pulled the same trick at the Evo 1 launch.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Droid,

I disagree with this.....

My 1/4 time so far has been between [email protected] and 12.22 @ 116.

According to these calculators, I should have around 330hp @ wheels.

Not a chance I'm afraid - they only seem to work for RWD cars...........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. I don't go in much for 1/4mile times and the E1 in the mag nearly made me fall off my chair.....

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Droid,

I would guess the car weighs about about 1350kg (1235 car, 80 me, 35 fuel)

I've been on the rollers once, but those figures are just as likely to be inaccurate as they are accurate.

So I don't know - I would guess a fair bit more than std! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The standard gross weight for anE4 is 1645 kg which i guess would include driver and fully fuelled.I also would imagine that 4x4 loose more power in transfering it to 4 wheels rather than 2.
Traction and launch traction has apparently some bearing on power as many learnt at well lane RR day and I would of thought better traction better times both trap and seconds to 1/4 mile .
I am going to run with gromet in and out on sunday just to see if the torque curve is better either way .
shoulld give it 3 runs each way to make my mind up whether to put the gromet back in or not.
Only have 290 Hp at hand .so should see some figures in low 13s or high 12s from some evos with 330Hp and more .
My eyes will be peeled on Simons Evo 4 figures ,something to aspire to no doubt.2 secs faster to 60 than standard.ummmmm! to cover 40 mph miles in 10secs in in best gearing .I would not be suprised to see 11s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deadscoob,

Aren't you the guy who got 3.72s for 0-60mph? If so, that's entirely consistent with 330bhp at the wheels (around 380-390bhp) and a PWR of around 300bhp/ton.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Original Post:
Droid,

Yeah i did - but I don't believe I've got [email protected] - and i don't believe a 4wd drivetrain only loses 50-60hp from flywheel to wheels either.......
Yeah i did - but I don't believe I've got [email protected]

How do you know?

and i don't believe a 4wd drivetrain only loses 50-60hp from flywheel to wheels

Even if it loses up to 70-80, that still leaves you with around 310bhp at the wheels (it's not actually as simple as assuming transmission losses are a straight percentage ... 300|PLS|bhp cars lose proportionally less bhp through the transmission than others but let's stick with that because it's simple). The error between 310bhp and 330bhp is negligible compared to the error between 320bhp (the average at-the-wheels power required for a 1400kg car to do 13secs/110mph) and 230-odd bhp (the likely at-the-wheels power of a stock Lancer). See my point ... ?

For exactly those reasons, I still maintain there is no way for a 1400kg/280bhp car to reach 110mph in 13secs. Not a chance. That's equivalent to a CONSTANT power output at the wheels of around 190bhp (which is always a much lower number than peak output due to the engine never always being at peak bhp, take-off, gearchanges etc. etc.). If anyone out there is as sad as I am, I can post the exact maths ... otherwise you'll have to trust me ;)

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Droid,

I agree with you 100% on that....

Was a poster on Scoobynet claiming his standardish (exhaust/filter) EVO VI did a 13 sec 1/4 @ 118mph. Thought it was reasonable to get from 100 (which he though was 10.5ish secs) to 118mph in 2.5secs.

Nearly R1 speed that! :)

But then he agreed it could've been an error......

std EVO VI/STI etc will always do around 105mph.

Still don't think I've got anywhere near 330hp at wheels! :) ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
did a 13 sec 1/4 @ 118mph. Thought it was reasonable to get from 100 (which he though was 10.5ish secs) to 118mph in 2.5secs.

Indeed. I think the biggest BS statement in that though was him thinking his near-standard Evo could do 0-100 in 10.5 secs!!! Stock 0-100 is around 13 secs. Reducing 0-100 by 2.5 secs takes some nifty mods (and probably another 60-70bhp).

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just in case my times are of help - I've done 13.24 secs 110 mph on a curving 1/4 mile that climbs about 20 ft. over it's length. It's a coast road on Guernsey. At that time the car was making 327 bhp and had std clutch (which got s****ed during the course of the event). I now have 363 bhp but haven't bettered the time due to slow gearchange problems. Hoping to fix it with rebuilt g/box and low moment of inertia clutch centre plate Car is Evo 6 GSR and amp; weighs exactly 1500 kg with me in it. Hoping to get to 12.5 secs on a flat straight course like Santa Pod.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.