Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Crail yesterday for some 1/4 mile racing, my best time of the day was:

12.9 sec @ 106.4 mph

My mods so far are:
HKS power flow mushroom filter
HKS Superdragger exhaust with decat
Walbro 255 l/hr pump
Apexi AVC-R set to 1.1 bar

Was pretty pleased with the results, came second in the upto 2L turbo class.

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
Nice one,mate.When I have everything fitted I will need to head down there and see what I can do.I have never been up a drag strip before,so I hope I dont make an arse of myself!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi EVO 4 JAY,
What clutch are you using? What beat you? I live right next door to Santa Pod and am going to have a go at RWYB this year. Any advice?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the standard IV clutch fitted with 56000 miles on it.

The only car faster than me on the day was a stripped out saphire cosworth fitted with a paddle clutch. I was chatting to the guy earlier in the month and he launches at 5000 rpm with no wheelspin.

Don't be too agressive with the launch on a standard clutch or you will just fry it. Santa Pod is a lot grippier than Crail

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks,
I've got a paddle clutch but haven't done any proper launches yet. Not too sure that I can bottle just dropping it at 5000 revs.....mind you I used too in a calibra turbo I had.That was only 200 Hp though.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Nice times !
I ran a 13.505 @100.2 mph, thats on a 67k standard clutch.
4500rpm and as you let slip bring revs up and your off.
I was told by rc developements that I would need and exedy twin or triple plate when mine gives out, If I intend too keep running 1/4 miles.

Also that as a car the later evo's (4-onwards) are not very good as other cars for 1/4 mile launches.
Early evo's leave the line better. ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am very happy as the 1st time i went with the car i was getting 13.3's, the next time i was down to 13's and now 12.9. Should be fitting an E6 (GSR) turbo very soon, hopefully that will bring my time down a little more as well. The grip at crail is **** so you can't launch too hard or the car just wheelspins. Should be taking a trip to Santa Pod sometime soon.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Evo 4 Jay said:
Thanks for the replies. I am very happy as the 1st time i went with the car i was getting 13.3's, the next time i was down to 13's and now 12.9. Should be fitting an E6 (GSR) turbo very soon, hopefully that will bring my time down a little more as well. The grip at crail is **** so you can't launch too hard or the car just wheelspins. Should be taking a trip to Santa Pod sometime soon.
They are excellent times considering your mods - I would have thought that you wouldn't get below 13.3 with that lot.

(I used to run 13.6 in a similarly modded II, and my standard VII wouldn't go less than 13.86)

·
Registered
740 Posts
yeah those are good times!

My last VII couldnt get better than 13.04 and that was with a twin plate HKS clutch (launching about 6k) 1.4bar, exhaust, fuel pump, pressure reg..... all the usual bits and bobs. And that was at Crail too!

Took my current VII there with standard clutch, s/s exhaust and hks filter and all I got was a 13.6 :S

Good times, and I am sure I will see you up there at some point soon!

PS. It's my mates Saphire Cossie, bit of a weapon and the driver has no mechanical sympathy! It has ran a 12.1 @ Santa Pod before. Not bad for a rear wheeler!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good times Jay!! considering the mods for sure, I run 12.9's in my E8 at the pod with only de-cat and APS ind I will look out for you at the jap show and maybe run with ya??. Whats your reaction and 60ft times??

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On my quickest run I had the following:

Reaction time = 0.471
60 foot time = 1.819

On average my RT is 0.6 and the 60 foot is around 1.9. I don't bother about the RT on RWYB days, I try and concentrate on getting the launch right.

I will be at Crail for the Jap day, hopefully with a few more tweaks done.

All my times for the day

Had a couple of bad starts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts