Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What 0-60mph times should I expect from my Tommi Mak?

With standard clutch i average 6.8secs

Fitted a HKS GDmax clutch (twin plate) last week and now i average 6.3secs (a bit disappointed really)

My evo has the following gear:-

HKS Racing suction, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS intercooler pipe, HKS EVC (set @ 1.3 bar), HKS front/down pipe and de-cat (standard TM rear box), Apexi S-AFC, Apexi RSM (what i used to measure the 0 - 60 times with) and Tein RA adjustable suspension.

I like to know what 0-60 times I should be aiming for with my setup........Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chunky,

It's just an indicator for me. I do not use my car for the track (no circuits in Hong Kong!!)....just on the street hence acceleration and torque are more important.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are you testing the 0-60? Unless you are using proper timing gear (5th wheel), you will be very inacurate. A better test is timing accelration against RPM. There are a few threads on this if you do a search.

Our figures are not going to be comparible with yours because HK is so much hotter than the UK. I believe that 10 degrees C is worth about 2% on bhp, so your car could be anywhere from 4 - 6 % down compared with the UK. Today we are suffering a heatwave (20 degrees C) and my car feels like it has the handbrake on!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a shoot out last year for a mag, all with pucker timing gear. At the time my VI GSR had exhaust and filter mods, ran 4.44 to 60 and 12.7 on 1/4 mile.

Hope this helps

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
evo6tm

I agree with simon7extreme, with the hot weather having an effect on your cars performance, but it is also dependant on how you are doing your standing starts? Seeing as you are running 1.3bar, which should in theory compensate for the deficate of the power you are losing from heat, therefore you should be running 0-60 in the low 5's or even under:):D

Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Original Post:
Today we are suffering a heatwave (20 degrees C) and my car feels like it has the handbrake on!
Same here. It shocked me a bit when I went out Tuesday afternoon. It was still quick but not ballistic! Roll on winter!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I realise the hot weather (30 - 33 C) here in HK does not help performance, but surely 6.3secs with a twin-plate and 1.3bar of boost should be quicker.........OK....OK..........here's what I do at the lights:

1st gear clutch down.........rev to 5000rpm.....(see GREEN).....let the clutch come up quickly (but not completely dump it - hard to explain).........change to 2nd gear at 7000rpm..........then 3rd again at 7000rpm. I need 3rd gear to hit 62mph (100 km/h here in HK).......are my ratios ok?

......what am I doing wrong?

Please advise. Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have sat with needle banging off the limiter waiting for green over 7000 rpm.
When green comes I let clutch go and amp; keep gas pedal planted of the gear change from 1st to second.
With a knackered clutch i got 5.49 secs on a very very hot day.

I was given the advice that drive the car like its the last time you are ver gonna drive it and amp; punish it hard.
Waiting for the next 0-60 shootout to see how the new clutch holds up.

Burn out dont fade away!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I remember, my car (VI) does 60 ish mph in 2nd before change up to 3rd? Is this correct or do I have verbal diarrhoea?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It could be the launch and the gearchanges. After clutching in, you must get the timing right of flicking the gear stick down from 1st to 2nd/or from 2nd up to 3rd, and then releasing the clutch pedal and flooring the accelerator all in one split-second. It takes a little practice to get it spot on, and when you do, you will really feel the car fly! And if you do it fast enough, you might even wheelspin on gearchange ...

You might want to try dumping the clutch at 5500rpm because of your twin plate. Find the right rpm such that the car doesn't bog down. From what you described, it sounds like you are slipping the clutch and that's not the fastest way of getting to 60mph. If insist on slipping the clutch to protect your gearbox, slip it a little with the handbrake on so the car doesn't move and start the timer, and then dump the clutch/remove handbrake at the same time. I know Hong Kong is hot but its not hot enough to convert you car into a Civic!:D Singapore is just as hot as HK and I used to cream F355s all the time in my WRX Sti.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At Trax 2001 on their timing gear:

see green light,
hold revs at just over 5000rpm,
drop clutch, front wheels spinning
reach 7000rpm, mega quick change into 2nd, hold 2nd gear all the way to the limiter

BINGO, 0 - 60 in 3.72 secs...quicker than it takes to read the above lines :)

Thats was in my mental Evo 4 (spec listed in members cars) which is now owned by Splodge.

Si

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok folks............went out again to night (outside temp: |PLS|25 Celsius slight drizzle).

MO: Clutch down, rev to 7000rpm, dumped the clutch...............tried this 3 times and the results were:

6.3, 6.2 and best was 5.9 secs!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
suggest you find some proper timing gear and re try . your car will see mid to high fours for sure . regards EVO400. PS CAN YOU GET BITS FOR EXPORT ???????? APEXI HKS ETC ETC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a Blitz Multi Speed Turbo timer on a bog std Evo 6 RS2 and it regularly did 5.2, once I managed 5.0 with the OEM clutch so its like Ralliart Germany say, 4.9s from 0 to 62mph.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.