Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know real figures for all the EVO variations, I have an EVO 3, and hurtling down a dual carriage way I was neck n neck with an F355.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have a look at Tony's excellent buyers guide for the E1 to 3 for details. Click on the 'The Cars' - 'Model Info' and then click on the 'Buyers Guide' to download. (E3 0-60 |EQU| 4.9 secs)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After having my Esprit Sport 350 I'm not so impressed with F355's. My mate, Martin had a black 355 spider and it was GORGEOUS to look at and listen too. When we swapped for a drive I noticed that his car sounded much betterbut it was a lot of noise for nowhere near as much go. LAter in the holiday (Le Mans 1999) we also proved that on a serious hack (serious twisty road, plenty of arse-out, change of direction and acceleration action) the Sport 350 was all over the 355 like a rash and was in fact the superior car in terms of all out acceleration and handling. IN terms of pose and ability to drive well the F355 was easier to drive, the S350 a handful until you got use to it. To put this in relation, on trackdays and comparing with friends the S350 would outcorner a cerbera relatively easily but on the straight the 4.5 cebreras had it quite easily over 120mph. If anyone's interested, got some nice piccies of Martin's car, my Esprit Sport 350, my (later 4.5 cebrera) and some of my friends cars (TVR and Similar). In all cases, we go to track days and the Lancer EVOs carry their own special respect!! :) Now ready for my own EVO to go and humiliate lots of more expensive motors!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll mail you a copy of the original in Word format.
I sent it to the Abbey National address as the hotmail one will not accept attachements over xK in size.

Merry Christmas !

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dubbs...

you still got the 350 ? My mate used to have a V8GT (the only orange one ever built) and I drove it a few times and amp; it was v. quick and the figures say that it is quicker than a 355 so I'm sure that your 350 would be all over it. Should handle much better as well as you say. The day I see a low mileage sport 300 I will buy - always wanted one of those and amp; they are supposed to be a peach on track. Chap I know recently bought a black one to partner his 340r and amp; he is well chuffed with it.

Only encounter I ever had with a 355 was in my 340r when we were alongside eachother at about 70mph and we both dumped it at about the same time. I went down to 3rd and was basically up his exhaust pipe right till maybe 120mph when he changed lanes to pull off the A3. Evo would match that any day. Came up against some fancy Porker the other night, maybe a GT2 (def. wasn't a GT3) and boy, that was a lot faster !

regards

Rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMHO there's no such thing as a real 0-60 time because they are so bloody variable. Your best bet is to research as many results as you can for your chosen car then choose the best one, because that's the one you can use to brag at the pub ;) Never try to reproduce it though because you won't.

Re: 355 vs. Evo. Sorry, but a standard Evo (yes, I mean bog-standard) wouldn't stand a hope against a 355 in a straight line. Forget road races, because they mean absolutely nothing.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Totally agree, Ian. Even the best magazine tests are really fairly meaningless, unless carried out by the same driver on the same day on the same track etc. and then only for comparing one specific car with another. Even then, you have no way of knowing if the car supplied to the magazine was kosher. For instance, Autocar has published its suspisions that a Skoda Octavia RS had been supplied with a non standard engine. And we all know that most standard Evos that have been tested have in fact been supplied with stage 1 mods (whatever those might be).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The F355 is actually dog slow. We had a guy with one in our group on the Ring and we left him for dead and the Ring has some very fast sections. He even had some Pirelli C-Zero C on it and even on the slow section he just could keep up with us. Sure this is more about driver abilities but if it was that much faster than a bog standard EVO he should have caught up easily on the straights where you reach several times speeds over 200km/h.
On the day when I had my Sports ECU etc. fitted I met one while driving home on the autobahn. He just tried once to overtake me:D . The nicest thing about them is the sound of the engine.

Cheers

Mike

PS: My car wasn't bog standard as I had some strut braces fitted;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.