Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 11-05-2020, 06:16   #1
Sparksgsr
Senior User

Car: viii fq320 & vi gsr
My Car
Evo intercooler recomendations

I Guys

Can anybody recommend a decent upgrade over the stock intercooler?
I have a forged engine soon to be mapped on a 80series

Ideally id like to change the intercooler for something that would be suitable figuratively speaking 450 - 550bhp or so
ill be changing the turbo for that kind of power

The car (evo 6) is not used much on the road its more of a track toy/project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2020, 06:40   #2
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
What's your budget? Ross Sport have their Pro Alloy cooler kit for 650.
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:50   #3
wizzzbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
APT are currently fitting one to our E9. Looking to tune to 410. If we forge it's good for 500+.
wizzzbang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wizzzbang For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (11-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2020, 07:51   #4
ragz

Plazmaman
Fitment and quality is amazing
I run it on a 71hta at 1.7bar no issues
ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:23   #5
ypvs
Senior User

Car: Silver 260 . On the up!!
My Car
I have an ETS 3.5" . Rated at 750 bhp . Very welll built .and an easy fit.
Old 11-05-2020, 16:14   #6
mlau1294
Senior User

Car: Blue Evo 9 (470/465), White 6RS (350/340) & Black Lancer GSR Ralliart Sportback (300/310)
My Car
3" ETS on my 9...
mlau1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 16:15   #7
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksgsr View Post
I Guys

Can anybody recommend a decent upgrade over the stock intercooler?
I have a forged engine soon to be mapped on a 80series

Ideally id like to change the intercooler for something that would be suitable figuratively speaking 450 - 550bhp or so
ill be changing the turbo for that kind of power

The car (evo 6) is not used much on the road its more of a track toy/project
Not many work better than stock in my testing thatís why I make my own now.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Shead For This Useful Post:
McGoo60 (22-05-2020), Mita (21-05-2020)
Old 21-05-2020, 20:57   #8
Sparksgsr
Senior User

Car: viii fq320 & vi gsr
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kins View Post
I have had a look at this cooler its huge!
Core Dimensions: Width 520mm, Height 300mm, Thickness 100mm

This is probably designed for larger than stock frame turbos,
This will probably not be an efficient match with an 80series maybe a s205 or gt35 that has an higher flow rate in comparison

I have never measured my evo 6 stock intercooler but I have found some info this is from https://www.4gtuner.com/topic/9426-e...er-dimensions/

Evo 6 intercooler: 470x289x70mm

Unsure on the dimensions above is this the core or including the inlets and outlets
Old 21-05-2020, 21:22   #9
ragz

Quote:

This will probably not be an efficient match with an 80series maybe a s205 or gt35 that has an higher flow rate in comparison

I have never measured my evo 6 stock intercooler but I have found some info this is from https://www.4gtuner.com/topic/9426-e...er-dimensions/

Unsure on the dimensions above is this the core or including the inlets and outlets
i have some comparrison pic of the stock evo 6 intercooler vs the pro alloy one.
Quite abit bigger
Outlets are at different angles
ragz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 22:08   #10
kins
Regional Organiser

Car: Evo VI RS
My Car
Send a message via MSN to kins Send a message via Skype™ to kins
Quote:

I thought you said you wanted a cooler for 550bhp or so. An s205 will put out 500+.

If you want a good budget cooler I would look at the HDI kits personally.
kins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 11:12   #11
kikiturbo
Senior User

Car: EVO 9 GSR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
Not many work better than stock in my testing that’s why I make my own now.

Mark
It is interesting that we see very little testing, and few check for themselves..

I used a cheap tube and fin 600x400 mm, 63 mm thick IC made by boost products (chinese IC of course) and with hks 7460 at 1.7 bar boost my maximum intake manifold temp is about 16 deg at 12C ambient..and likes to drop even lower at higher rpm..

Last edited by kikiturbo; 22-05-2020 at 11:16..
kikiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 17:48   #12
6evo
Senior User

It would be good to hear from anyone who has knowledge of performance differences between coolers, weight would be a factor in my decision especially given the location, I would have also thought a smaller cooler would be better for response?
6evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 18:24   #13
Mark Shead

Car: Evo 6 under construction
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6evo View Post
It would be good to hear from anyone who has knowledge of performance differences between coolers, weight would be a factor in my decision especially given the location, I would have also thought a smaller cooler would be better for response?
It depends on what you are after. Do you still want all your power at top speed.
If you are worried about weight you wonít have you power at top speed lol.
I have been doing this for nearly 25years so learnt a bit over the years.
Tube and fin canít match size or size bar and plate but the core is generally cheaper hence why most use them. To bring up the performance of the tube and fin you need to add about 50% larger size to compare then the weight goes up.
As a min you need a 20 by 12 by 3.5inch core for much above 450hp ideally bigger is better my core is 25 by 12 by 3.5 for as good a performance for most things.
Anything above 40c intake temp you are loosing power the amount depends on how critical your engine is to a ignition loss and this depends on your compression ratio and idea ignition angle.
Most people donít tend to look or test with the maximum load and distance rather than a single squirt through one or two gears.
My testing always ends up a max speed and through the gear to put the cooler under maximum grief.

Mark
Mark Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark Shead For This Useful Post:
6evo (23-05-2020), Alex T (22-05-2020), ant1 (22-05-2020), Christopher (23-05-2020), Mita (22-05-2020), Steviej (22-05-2020)
Old 22-05-2020, 20:05   #14
Mita
Senior User

I reckon thatís your longest ever post Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shead View Post
It depends on what you are after. Do you still want all your power at top speed.
If you are worried about weight you wonít have you power at top speed lol.
I have been doing this for nearly 25years so learnt a bit over the years.
Tube and fin canít match size or size bar and plate but the core is generally cheaper hence why most use them. To bring up the performance of the tube and fin you need to add about 50% larger size to compare then the weight goes up.
As a min you need a 20 by 12 by 3.5inch core for much above 450hp ideally bigger is better my core is 25 by 12 by 3.5 for as good a performance for most things.
Anything above 40c intake temp you are loosing power the amount depends on how critical your engine is to a ignition loss and this depends on your compression ratio and idea ignition angle.
Most people donít tend to look or test with the maximum load and distance rather than a single squirt through one or two gears.
My testing always ends up a max speed and through the gear to put the cooler under maximum grief.

Mark
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 20:09   #15
4g638

My Car
I have to disagree with you on the tube and fin vs the bar and plate comment. As far as size is concerned, because there are more factors one needs to take into account before buying a cooler. Not all tube and fin cores are the same, and actually they can differ very much in all their characteristics, end tank design, grade of aluminum used, the design of the tubes and their size, the internal structure of the fins, the amount of fins per 1cm, the amount of tubes per inch. Some tube and fin cores have smaller and less tubes with poor design than other cores of the same overall size. Air velocity and speed is more increased in a quality tube and fin core than in a bar and plate one. Yes you do need to add some additional cm3 area when using a tube and fin in comparison to a bar and plate but it's around the 20-30% max from what I have seen, worked with, made, and used. A good quality tube and fin core has more tubes than a bar and plate of the same size and their total weight is almost the same. So if a 600 x 300 x 150 bar and plate core has 12 bars, the tube and fin one of the same size will have 16 tubes or more, so there is your added cm3 area. In other words , same size core but with different structural passages and different design that provide the same cm3 area. Another advantage of having more air passages for the air to move into is that you allow the air to break down into more smaller cfm parts and go through more cooling passages and this cools down the air more evenly and more. The tube and fin core allows more fresh air to enter the engine compartment, and to reach the radiator. Price wise, it depends what you are buying from who.For instance, Garrett bar and plate cores are expensive, people used to swear on them being the best cores out there, well they ain't the best cores out there, there are much cheaper bar and plate cores that are equally efficient. The same goes for tube and fin. HKS intercoolers are all tube and fin design, their coolers are quality ones, but they are expensive, you can find exactly the same cores in HDI and Autobaghn 88 kits and yes I have compared them side by side. same exact core, both companies copied the HKS core. Stock cooler is also tube and fin.

Hopefully you will not get me wrong for posting this, but it contains certain points that I wanted to share with people. I have nothing against bar and plate cores , but I personally prefer tube and fin cores for the reasons I mentioned. You may not agree with me and I respect that, just wanted to share my point of view and experience. I'm also in the field of tuning cars, designing and engineering parts for around 25 years.

Marios

Last edited by 4g638; 22-05-2020 at 20:27.. Reason: typo
4g638 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4g638 For This Useful Post:
6evo (23-05-2020), Gary @ APT (23-05-2020)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: