Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 27-02-2020, 19:47   #1
T_Selby94
User

Car: Evo 5 GSR
My Car
Help!? Coilover height

Can anyone help ?
Im looking to order a set or meisterr zeta crd coilovers for my evo 5, question is, on the full height are they around about the same height as stock shocks and springs or are the coilovers on full height a fair bit lower ?
I wouldnt be running full height, im just trying to work out a driveway problem to see what i have to play with.
Would be great if anyone could tell me coilover max height im relation to stock shocks and springs

Thanks
T_Selby94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2020, 09:02   #2
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Sounds like you saying you have a ground clearance issue with the car? On your own driveway in particular?

Adjusting the rides heights with those particular coilovers is mainly done by winding the bottom section of each unit up or down on it's thread. But there will be a (safe) maximum amount that they can be wound down which should be indicated in the manufacturer's fitting instructions. Go too far (ie raise the ride height too much and leave too little of the threaded bottom section of the damper within the bottom section) and you risk structural collapse of the units!

Also, to a certain extent you can adjust the ride height by changing the position of the lower spring perch. But you would never want to lower it beyond the point at which the spring is securely located when the unit ie in the fully extended position. And neither would you want to add too much "pre-load" (which would have the effect of raising the ride height) because this would take the units outside of their intended operating range. Typically, in my experience, a few mm of pre-load is the norm.

It will off course vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from model to model, and notwithstanding the above, but I would expect it to be possible to set a ride height to at least the same height as standard, and possibly a little higher, but bear in mind that the majority of people that buy coilovers do so because they are looking to lower their car over standard, and so I don't think you can automatically assume that the height range will take things as high as standard.

And do bear in mind that as soon as you change ride height you will need to have the geometry (toe and camber) reset.
Old 28-02-2020, 10:23   #3
T_Selby94
User

Car: Evo 5 GSR
My Car
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Yes the problem is my driveway itself, the path from the road slopes up towards my drive then my driveway slopes back the opposite way as seen in the pic, and shows what room i have to play with.

Im aware of the safe amount on the thread, and the car will be going for a full fast road geo setup as soon as theyre fitted, im fine with how the car sits as standard on the rear, would just like to bring the front down a little, i just worry if i was to get the coilovers on at max height and them still be too low to get the car on/off the driveway so trying to find out to compare max height of coilovers to standard shocks and springs

People would probably say just get lowering springs but but i could have the same problem, both passenger side shocks have had their day, and then with the price of lowering springs i think itd be better in the long run just to go coilovers

I have since spoken to someone at meisterr and they have said the meisterr in particular do allow quite a lot of adjustment

Thanks tom
Attached Images

Last edited by T_Selby94; 28-02-2020 at 10:25..
T_Selby94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-02-2020, 11:28   #4
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Maybe you could remove the central silencer to give more clearance? Although the neighbours may not appreciate the extra noise lol

Just be a bit mindful that changing the rake of the car will have an effect on the handling characteristics. Quite a lot has been written on the subject over the years and it might be worth doing a bit of a search around.

Maybe have a look through this

https://www.lancerregister.com/showt...ght=rake+angle

Last edited by plip1953; 28-02-2020 at 11:30..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 21:06   #5
drunkard

I didn’t see a problem in the photo. Is there a worse road?
drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: