Why such a massive difference in price for Teins over Ohlins ? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Suspension / Handling

Old 10-05-2019, 20:32   #1
shauno
Senior User

Car: Gunmetal MRFQ360 HKS
My Car
Why such a massive difference in price for Teins over Ohlins ?

So wish to replace my suspension as advised on last service. Also soon to be contacting CR1 for some underside work (thought I could get everything done at the same time)

Personally I feel my car handles perfect for me, ride is a perfect comfort. But the the price of full kit of Bilsteins I can go Coilovers, which I feel most prefer now?

I'm an occasional fine weather driver & attend a few shows each year, car wont be going on track, but want confidence in the suspension if we have a little B-road blast.

Can anyone explain why the large price difference between Teins & Ohlins, are Ohlins really that much better? I've always thought Teins were good quality (never owned any tein suspension before)

Look forward to thoughts, opinions & suggestions
shauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 07:14   #2
Evo6er
Senior User

Car: EVO 8 MR
My Car
Itís like everything in life you get what you pay for. If itís just a B road bomber Iíd consider Bilstein B14ís which are a comfy good quality coilover that arenít as expensive as ohlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shauno (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:17   #3
dreMR
Senior User

Iíve got ohlins on mine love them. I do find them hard at slow speeds. I can feel every little bump in the road and change in road surface which is good in a performance car I think.

Iíve been running them at ten clicks from hard as recommended but recently started playing with the settings, currently at 13 clicks from hard and the car feels much better on the road at speed.

I can hold the throttle wide open now on certain bits of road where before I would lift as it felt a bit nervous.

I havenít tried any of the other coilovers to compare though.
dreMR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreMR For This Useful Post:
shauno (11-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 08:45   #4
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X 300 SST
My Car
Who advised the need to change and why? If the dampers are leaking then of course they need to be replaced, but if they otherwise feel fine to you then why change? Combining the OE dampers with a Tein or Eibach set of lowering springs works very well, and is relatively cheap, but do make sure you get the alignment properly reset after any suspension changes.

Last edited by plip1953; 11-05-2019 at 09:01..
plip1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plip1953 For This Useful Post:
Blood Speed (12-05-2019), evo/nut (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 08:56   #5
VR-4Squid

Car: CP9A Evolution V
Quote:
Originally Posted by shauno View Post
Personally I feel my car handles perfect for me, ride is a perfect comfort. But the the price of full kit of Bilsteins I can go Coilovers, which I feel most prefer
If you are happy with the ride and handling, you're probably best off sticking with what you know works for you.

As for why Tein and Ohlins are at different price points, exchange rates, distributor mark up, differing local production costs, are all a factor. Also are you comparing the same 'spec' product from each? Tein offer everything from budget street suspension up to custom valved, pro-level motorsport stuff, as do Ohlins - are you comparing apples with oranges?
shauno (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:01   #6
shauno
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-4Squid View Post
If you are happy with the ride and handling, you're probably best off sticking with what you know works for you.

As for why Tein and Ohlins are at different price points, exchange rates, distributor mark up, differing local production costs, are all a factor. Also are you comparing the same 'spec' product from each? Tein offer everything from budget street suspension up to custom valved, pro-level motorsport stuff, as do Ohlins - are you comparing apples with oranges?

Possibly yes, havenít looked into the spec of each to be honest, just doing a quick look last night

Old 11-05-2019, 10:19   #7
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Car: VII FQ-300x2
Your signature says you are talking MR FQ 360 in which case I'd stick to the OE suspension and just replace/repair what is needed especially for road use only. Having had an MR (which I miss dearly!) and also worked through various "upgrades" you will ruin a great ride unless you are wanting a move to a more track oriented solution and a much bumpier experience on the road.
TrickyDick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrickyDick For This Useful Post:
dreMR (11-05-2019), plip1953 (11-05-2019), shauno (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:39   #8
shauno
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
Your signature says you are talking MR FQ 360 in which case I'd stick to the OE suspension and just replace/repair what is needed especially for road use only. Having had an MR (which I miss dearly!) and also worked through various "upgrades" you will ruin a great ride unless you are wanting a move to a more track oriented solution and a much bumpier experience on the road.

That was my first worry / thought. The current ride is superb. More homework needed

Old 11-05-2019, 12:40   #9
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

definitely worth looking into Bilstein service and replacement springs if needed - good luck
Old 11-05-2019, 13:38   #10
Gav33

My Car
Personally I would just refurb the original suspension. I prefer oem parts. After all Mitsubishi must have done a lot of research and testing to get the best setup.
shauno (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 14:30   #11
McGoo60
Senior User

yes but the best setup for what? OEM setup is probably a compromise of handling comfort, cost etc to suit the average driver in average conditions.
McGoo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McGoo60 For This Useful Post:
Evo6er (12-05-2019), shauno (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 20:43   #12
Gav33

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoo60 View Post
yes but the best setup for what? OEM setup is probably a compromise of handling comfort, cost etc to suit the average driver in average conditions.
Exactly for that setup. Spirited driving every now and again and comfort for when Iím not. No track days. So for me the current standard setup is perfect.
shauno (12-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 21:37   #13
madspeed
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav33 View Post
Personally I would just refurb the original suspension. I prefer oem parts. After all Mitsubishi must have done a lot of research and testing to get the best setup.
Ohlins probably did more research than Mits. Thats all they do - suspension R&D.
madspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to madspeed For This Useful Post:
Geoffski74 (15-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 04:59   #14
super rover
acting daft since 1969

Car: E7 RS RALLY CAR
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by madspeed View Post
Ohlins probably did more research than Mits. Thats all they do - suspension R&D.
not really ,OE stuff has just the one setting which means it has to be fairly well tuned to nail down a perinent setting ,with any adjustable damper there millions of combinations with bump and rebound settings ,a luxury standard dampers dont have
ive allways said a single rate damper will allways drive better than even the best and most expensive damper IF youve no idea how to set it up and what to set to allow you to tune it better

<<<<<<<<< THIS

HERE >>>> https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=579947
super rover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to super rover For This Useful Post:
shauno (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 08:58   #15
TrickyDick
Very Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by super rover View Post
not really ,OE stuff has just the one setting which means it has to be fairly well tuned to nail down a perinent setting ,with any adjustable damper there millions of combinations with bump and rebound settings ,a luxury standard dampers dont have
ive allways said a single rate damper will allways drive better than even the best and most expensive damper IF youve no idea how to set it up and what to set to allow you to tune it better
and not forgetting the appropriate spring rates ...
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: