Clutch Slip recurring Issue - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Gearbox / Clutch / Transmission

Old 30-03-2017, 17:19   #1
G3orgi3B

Car: Evo IX FQ360 MR
My Car
Send a message via MSN to G3orgi3B
Clutch Slip recurring Issue

For the last year+ I've had a constant recurring clutch issue which I have not been able to get to the bottom of so I'm hoping the MLR guru's can help.

The problem originally manifested when the organic clutch being run started to drag even with the clutch pedal fully depressed, this resulted in a low moaning sound after being stuck in traffic for a while (I guess due to the heat being generated) which then lead to clutch slip after any form of stop/start traffic. The bite point was still quite high though; the clutch only lasted 6 months with this abuse (daily driven).

This clutch was then replaced with an exedy OE spec and flywheel. This seemed to resolve the problem with no more 'moaning' in traffic; however after a few months (2kish miles) the clutch started to slip again after being stuck in traffic, this only manifested once in higher gears under boost (torque increase). The clutch seemed fine when cold.

As this now didn't seem to be purely a clutch issue I had the hydraulic's checked, slave cylinder replaced (just in case) and another exedy OE clutch installed (once the other exedy had become undrivable.
This time after only a few days the new clutch started to slip, this time without even being in heavy traffic. Again clutch seems fine when cold but after about 30 minutes of driving slipping appears again. If then stuck in traffic for a period the slip makes the car almost undrivable.

Other things to note:
  • 9 MR running roughly 360-370, no drivetrain modifications beside clutch and flywheel
  • Recently had the gearbox refurbished
  • When hot and stationary with clutch pedal fully depressed the car will 'jump' slightly when put into gear, this happens even with a very high bite point
  • There is never any smell of burning clutch
  • Before the slave cylinder was replaced there was a creaking noise during clutch pedal operation once hot, not when cold
  • slip reduces but does not dissapear if driven for a long period of time in one gear (heat related?)
  • There is no judder during clutch engagement
  • Bite point does seem to shift a bit as temperature increases
  • There doesn't appear to be any air in the hydraulic system (bled twice now)

I know it's probably something simple that I've missed but I am now at my wits end with this problem

Any ideas?

Any suggestions?

Evo Carputer project
G3orgi3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2017, 17:21   #2
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
which exedy clutch are you fitting, wasn't the one in the pink box was it, where do you get your clutches from?

Also was the flywheel replaced each time?

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 17:24   #3
G3orgi3B

My Car
The first and second clutches were replaced with the flywheel, but not the last time.

The first cltuch was a carbonetic blade.

The exedy OE spec were bought from Stevie at eightspeed

Evo Carputer project

Last edited by G3orgi3B; 30-03-2017 at 17:25.. Reason: grammatical error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-03-2017, 17:30   #4
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3orgi3B View Post
The first and second clutches were replaced with the flywheel, but not the last time.

The first cltuch was a carbonetic blade.

The exedy OE spec were bought from Stevie at eightspeed
Ok, i'd then assume the Exedy were the decent silver box then, not the well known useless pink box

Only other things that spring to mind are

Who fitted them? just thinking if it was an evo experienced trader, they may spot something else thats 'off' when fitting, where as non experienced may miss it

Any sign of any damp / oil where the brake master cylinder pushrod goes through the bulkhead, ie carpet area in the car. Does the car use any clutch fluid

Do you ride the clutch?

Stu

Old 30-03-2017, 17:40   #5
G3orgi3B

My Car
They were the silver box clutches.

The guy who fitted them has been looking after my car for about 6 years with no previous issues; he has years of experience with performance jap cars. He is also at a loss as to what the issue could be and has suggested I take the car to be checked by Tracktive (I have been ringing but getting no answer) or try Variava (if Ian still works there).

No signs of damp or oil but the master cylinder is on the list to be replaced as a just in case.

The car doesn't seem to use any clutch fluid.

Evo Carputer project
Old 30-03-2017, 17:48   #6
stu8
Senior User

My Car
Personally I can highly recommend [email protected] in Congleton, not too far away from you. He knows evo's inside out and will give you no nonsense information

Stu

Old 30-03-2017, 17:58   #7
G3orgi3B

My Car
I'll give him a call tomorrow

Evo Carputer project
Old 30-03-2017, 18:15   #8
mary-jane08
Senior User

I had the same kind of problem.
I took apart all of the clutch line and cylinders. On inspection I had a grommet that was perished and was not allowing the flow of the clutch fluid properly. This was not allowing the fork on the cylingder to retract properly giving the car a slipping clutch feeling. A good clean and blow through with a air line. Re assembled and has been fine ever since. I hope I have understood your post and this helps.
mary-jane08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 06:22   #9
G3orgi3B

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiturbo View Post
there is a small rubber restrictor in the clutch line, right in the banjo bolt that restricts the flow of fluid when you release the clutch... this might not be on all evos but I have seen it on all 9's.. I presume it is there to lessen the driveline shock when launching..
Is this the grommet you mean?

Evo Carputer project
Old 01-04-2017, 11:36   #10
madspeed
Senior User

It could be your master cylinder not releasing pressure. Try opening the bleed screw on th save and see if the clutch arm/fork moves a little.
madspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 18:26   #11
G3orgi3B

My Car
Ok, quick update.
The master cylinder, slave cylinder, slave fork (thanks to Mark Shead for suggesting this) and hydraulic lines have been replaced..... and it's still doing it!!!

I'm honestly now at a loss as to what the problem could be; I'm going to get booked in with Mark when he has availability and we'll go from there.

Evo Carputer project
Old 10-08-2017, 08:32   #12
war-machine
Senior User

Car: evo 7 rs
you havent got a very small tiny gearbox oil leak behind the main spine shaft ? that is getting on the plate surface's or behind flywheel engine seal...i doubt this is the problem...but you seem to have covered most things
war-machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:35   #13
will2
Regional Organiser

Car: jdm evo 7gsr , forged +full buddyclub exhaust,cams+ ix turbo,silver fastest with carbon ! ......
Infuriating this must be ...hopefully something small n silly is causing this ...best of luck with finding a resolution bloody hate clutches
will2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:39   #14
Madmac
Twincharger Guru

Car: Evo 5 850hp Hillclimb twincharger & Manual Legnum VR4 Type S
My Car
With all the work you've done already the only other thing I can think is the driven plate is sticking on the gearbox splines which is making it drag and overheat the cover which in turn weakens the spring and can cause slip.

The splines could be worn to the extent there's a step on the splines stopping the plate sliding as the clutch is released.
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
Madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madmac For This Useful Post:
Clivew (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 13:21   #15
Clivew
Transmission Dynamics

Car: Highly Modded E6 T04Z/2.2ltr, E91 325D Ohlins/M3 bushes, Renaultsport Megane RS250 Cup.
My Car
Also, has the run-out of the input shaft been checked? If the friction plate is running eccentrically, it will cause accelerated wear, and may cause the plate to drag and create more heat.

'There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived'
Clivew is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: