What the best way to sell an Evo? - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Lancer Chat

Old 30-05-2019, 08:16   #1
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
What the best way to sell an Evo?

I used to think that all you needed to do was post a for sale ad on the MLR and any prospective Evo buyers would automatically find it. But sadly I guess that is no longer the case?

Of the usual alternatives is there much to choose between Ebay, Pistonheads and Autotrader, or is it best to do all of them?

I will be looking to sell my X RS later in the summer, or possibly spring next year, and clearly I'll be looking to get good money for it. But as a private sale I realise I will be reaching out to a very small group of potential buyers ie those with quite a lot of money and probably not needing finance. In light of that, might I be better off trying to sell through a trader who can offer the likes of part exes and finance?
Advertisement

Old 30-05-2019, 08:59   #2
paulclark
User

The majority of people who use this site already own an EVO, but always post here to give people the opportunity for a decent buy.

Definitely use the old faithfull Autotrader and Pistons heads, if you go down the route of cash on sale with a garage then there is a good chance they will advertise on those site.
paulclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 09:03   #3
paulclark
User

I'll be honest I hate it when the internet plays up. Can some one reduce my 3 response to one.
paulclark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulclark For This Useful Post:
D2 (01-06-2019), plip1953 (30-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-05-2019, 10:13   #4
plip1953
Phil

Car: Evo X RS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulclark View Post
I'll be honest I hate it when the internet plays up. Can some one reduce my 3 response to one.
It's not the internet per se, just the MLR site!
Old 30-05-2019, 10:28   #5
strange_days_uk
Simon - EVO V

Car: EVO V
My Car
The majority of people who use this site already own an EVO, but always post here to give people the opportunity for a decent buy.

Definitely use the old faithfull Autotrader and Pistons heads, if you go down the route of cash on sale with a garage then there is a good chance they will advertise on those site for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Most TME owners have never driven an evo, including their own.
strange_days_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strange_days_uk For This Useful Post:
dessimpson (30-05-2019), Jim Salter (31-05-2019), mikegsi (30-05-2019), plip1953 (30-05-2019), Rampant (31-05-2019)
Old 30-05-2019, 10:40   #6
mikegsi
North East RO

Car: JDM Evo 9 GSR
I've used Facebook groups and marketplace with as much success as forums and ebay, pistonheads, autotrader etc.

You need to advertise where people would typically be looking, facebook is a huge medium for that as its almost instant access to groups full of varyingly correct levels of info. Some would point you to forums, and others who are selling would give you details of their cars.

I sold my last car via Facebook, a S/C'd S2000, took a little longer to sell but you could pick up a decent standard S2000 for half the price I was asking. I recently advertised my Evo on here and Facebook and I got more responses via Facebook, to the point I'd loosely agreed a price on it and arranged for a guy to come view the next weekend. I pulled the advert in the end, decided against selling - nonetheless though, it worked for me and if/when I do come to sell again one of the first places to advertise will be on Facebook - it takes minutes to post the ad, with pictures, across multiple groups.
mikegsi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegsi For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (30-05-2019)
Old 30-05-2019, 12:33   #7
MikeC
Senior User

Car: Red E5
Good cars will sell themselves really and don't need much in the way of advertising. The rubbish will linger!

I think ebay is probably the best for exposure now, FB is good if your car is desirable and MLR, although on its arse, will still bring the enthusiast in.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeC For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (30-05-2019)
Old 30-05-2019, 18:01   #8
A12DY B
All things Evo

Car: EVO IX MR
My Car
Problem with owners groups and clubs is majority of owners have one, so its only if you have something special people want to upgrade to, then it comes in its own.

Or old members wanting to relive their youth.

Best place strangely to advertise is ebay, as a lot of random FB groups pick up and the adverts and share them, those groups have thousands of followers.

I would always advertise it on every platform you can though.
A12DY B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A12DY B For This Useful Post:
plip1953 (31-05-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 00:08   #9
Aidy
Senior User

Car: Yellow EVO X
My Car
Ask around your local Makkie D's car park?
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aidy For This Useful Post:
big S (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 13:54   #10
D2
North Scotland R.O

Car: 2001 Evo VII GSR, 1999 Evo VI GSR, 2007 Evo IX MR FQ360, 2013 RRS Overfinch GTS, Golf 7 GTD DSG,
My Car
When selling an Evo nowadays make sure you have 100 pictures of the underside as you'll be inundated with messages of people asking for some
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: