Starting issues. Water in footwell - Evo V - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > Technical > Technical Questions

Old 22-03-2019, 14:52   #1
DeltaBoxer
User

Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V MR
Starting issues. Water in footwell - Evo V

So I have a number of issues however I am not sure if they are related.

1. The car wont turn over. Full power brand new Oddesey Battery, Fuel pump primes, All lights and power inside the car works. dash board lights come on as they should but no attempt to start. it doesnt even attempt to turn the engine over. All fuses appear to be fine... Could it be the starter motor ?

2. I noticed water was pooling in the passenger footwell. I orginally thought the water was coming in because of a leak somewhere. Checked with hose and stripped whole interior out leaving the dashboard in. No water anywhere on the leak test with a hosepipe around all the seals. Not a drop getting in. I randomly decided to check the radiator fluid level that I had only topped up a few months prior. The damn radiator was completely empty!!! It appears to have been dropped inside the car which suggests to me that the heater matrix must be goosed. The question I have is has anybody else had this before and does the entire dash have to come out to replace this unit ? Also is it likely that the water ****ing out inside the car has caused the non start problem its having? I have a terrible feeling somethings expensive has gone pop.

Any advice/guidance would be very much appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 22-03-2019, 15:23   #2
DeltaBoxer
User

I must mention that the car starts when bump started. Runs sweet too...

It just doesn't turn over via the key. Cars been sat there for 6 months now
Old 22-03-2019, 16:39   #3
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Water in footwell does sound like heater matrix, I had to replace mine in my old 5 a few years ago, not difficult, just a boring job. Dash stayed in for me but it does need to be undone and moved

Not starting could be a number of things. From previous experience of 2 of them, the oddesey would be where I start, try a good booster pack. After that, its a case of using a multi meter to check voltages at the stater motor, and checking connectors are still sound.

I would be very tempted to try a different battery before I started looking any further

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-03-2019, 16:56   #4
DeltaBoxer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Water in footwell does sound like heater matrix, I had to replace mine in my old 5 a few years ago, not difficult, just a boring job. Dash stayed in for me but it does need to be undone and moved

Not starting could be a number of things. From previous experience of 2 of them, the odyssey would be where I start, try a good booster pack. After that, its a case of using a multi meter to check voltages at the stater motor, and checking connectors are still sound.

I would be very tempted to try a different battery before I started looking any further

Stu
Hi Mate, Thanks for the advice. I have tried various batteries even jump starting it doesn't work. You can however bump start the car. It has to be an electrical issue. The odyssey battery is brand new and has only been used once on the car and is kept on a trickle charger. Perhaps I need to do some testing with a multi meter as you have suggested above. Cheers!
Old 22-03-2019, 19:25   #5
stu8
Senior User

Car: Evo V - geekmapped.com
My Car
Yer. does sound like it then. Has the new Oddesey been on a trickle charger the whole time its been on the car? Only ask as I had 2 in mine in less than 2 years, second was warranty replacement. Both failed over winter when it was cold and the car failed to start, after that the battery was scrap, so to put it simply, they dont like being allowed to run flat

As for testing, first port of call is get a meter on the starter terminals, see if its getting its permanent and switched +12v, then work from there

Stu

Evo 4-6 left over parts for sale
stu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 21:54   #6
DeltaBoxer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu8 View Post
Yer. does sound like it then. Has the new Oddesey been on a trickle charger the whole time its been on the car? Only ask as I had 2 in mine in less than 2 years, second was warranty replacement. Both failed over winter when it was cold and the car failed to start, after that the battery was scrap, so to put it simply, they dont like being allowed to run flat

As for testing, first port of call is get a meter on the starter terminals, see if its getting its permanent and switched +12v, then work from there

Stu
So I figured out what the problem was today. The heater matrix is now out and..... it's fine. No leak, it almost looks brand new. I found a massive rusty hole just under the windscreen in that cross panel by the top of the fan cooling system. The water seems to be coming in through that and soaking the floor. As to why I lost radiator fluid is still unknown along with what's causing the starting issues. I will keep you updated as I go!
stu8 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 21:59   #7
Gtir

Have you checked if you get voltage to the starter motor? Have you tried jumping a 12v supply direct from battery to starter? I’d start off by drying everything, undo all the connectors that could have got wet, disconnect the battery first tho and give the connectors a good blow dry on low heat setting
Gtir is offline   Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: