One New Car, Five Days and 1700 Miles... - Page 6 - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Projects & Restorations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 09:30   #76
RabRS
Senior User

Car: 6 GSR > 6.5 TME > 9 FQ360 > 10 FQ360
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
That was a quick way to get the inbox full

The world does love a red Mak eh!
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 09:31   #77
Fire_2

Car: Gray 8MR FQ320
Hey RichW I bumped into you on the train,

Also see you around the area a few times, car looks great
Fire_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:39   #78
Mita
Senior User

Flynn you never seem to even get them off the boat!!!???
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 09:43   #79
Flynn

Car: Porsche 911 GT3, Nissan GTR, Porsche Macan GTS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Flynn you never seem to even get them off the boat!!!???
Something at Rybrook McLaren has caught my eye
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:54   #80
Mita
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Something at Rybrook McLaren has caught my eye

Well to be fair that's a pretty good reason.. Can't you have both?

Pics of Mclaren please

Last edited by Mita; 05-06-2015 at 09:56..
Mita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:01   #81
Flynn

Car: Porsche 911 GT3, Nissan GTR, Porsche Macan GTS
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Well to be fair that's a pretty good reason.. Can't you have both?

Pics of Mclaren please
Im spreading myself a little thin.

If I kept the Tommi, Im sure it'll fetch 14-15k in August when it arrives, but If I wait that long, Im miss the boat on the waiting list for the 570S

It might be a kneejerk reaction, but if someone wants it, I'll let it go.

Will put a proper ad up
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flynn For This Useful Post:
Mita (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 18:44   #82
RichW

Car: E6 GSR -> E9GT -> e46 M3 -> M3 CSL -> E6 RSII / M-Sport BMW / GIXXER 750 K5
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_2 View Post
Hey RichW I bumped into you on the train,

Also see you around the area a few times, car looks great

Hey cool, cant beat a good bit of Evo banter
Old 06-06-2015, 05:06   #83
Mr Ralliart
Anthony

Car: Evolution 6 TME Ralliart Edition (JDM)
My Car
Great to see you finally have it in your hands mate! You would be very hard pressed to find one better than that, whoever owned it over here obviously took great care of it

My TME progress & track day thread: https://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=462309
Mr Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:35   #84
will2
Regional Organiser

Car: jdm evo 7gsr , forged +full buddyclub exhaust,cams+ ix turbo,silver fastest with carbon ! ......
Just WOW !
Great Tme Mak!
Great story !
Great pics !
Old 06-06-2015, 11:55   #85
cosevoRS

Excellent story mate, and loving the TME. Heading over to the ring soon myself in mine, 10th year since I first went. Gonna just pick a weekend with nice weather and do it spur of the moment this time most likely.

My favourite restaurant by far is in Adenau. Gemütliche Ecke (Comfy Corner) - Give that a try, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:36   #86
RichW

Car: E6 GSR -> E9GT -> e46 M3 -> M3 CSL -> E6 RSII / M-Sport BMW / GIXXER 750 K5
My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ralliart View Post
Great to see you finally have it in your hands mate! You would be very hard pressed to find one better than that, whoever owned it over here obviously took great care of it

Hey Anthony

Yes, i am very very happy with the condition of the car. i havent even washed it since returning from Germany as i am awaiting some cavity wax to arrive so that i can seal all the box sections. Then the real inspection can happen, but until then no water on the car

So far i can see that all the paint is original from the factory which i am over joyed at. Underneath it looks to be far better than cars i have seen with only 30k on the clocks. It appears to be a real gem, of course i'll know better when i actually get underneath on my back, but from popping my head under, wow

The TME stripes have seen better days, they need replacement at some point as they are faded but from a distance look OK so will stay until i replace them. Drivers seat has a little wear on the base where you sit, so i could do with finding a damaged seat so i can replace the cloth there. And the wheels need a refurb too at some point.

But as you initially thought, a totally genuine car. TorqueGT were impressed with the originality of the car too, a rare find

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2 View Post
Just WOW !
Great Tme Mak!
Great story !
Great pics !
Thanks, makes it worth the time to know others enjoy reading about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosevoRS View Post
Excellent story mate, and loving the TME. Heading over to the ring soon myself in mine, 10th year since I first went. Gonna just pick a weekend with nice weather and do it spur of the moment this time most likely.

My favourite restaurant by far is in Adenau. Gemütliche Ecke (Comfy Corner) - Give that a try, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Lots of changes out there since 2004/5, thats for sure. I might stay in Adenau next time. I've always stayed in Nurburg but less impressed this year. Heard great things about CC on Northloop so its pencilled in some point for sure

Last edited by RichW; 07-06-2015 at 06:37..
RichW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:26   #87
RichW

My Car
So time for an update

What with work and home life i've not been able to get at this job until yesterday. Oh, and the website, more work on the TME page - l'll add the link at the bottom of this episode.

So as per my previous post, i've been putting off cleaning the car as i didnt want to risk getting water into any of the box sections. Yesterday i was finally able to cavity wax the car. Time taken to do the rear and under the main body was around 4 hours by the time i'd set everything up and and got an idea of what i was up against. Next time it would take half the time. I'll do the front end of the car, namely the box sections each side of the engine and across the front of the car when the bumpers off at some point. I dont think those sections will hold water for very long due to their design and the heat from the engine.

So first things first, a compressor (£200)...

....and a cavity wax gun (£15) and two tins of Noxudol 700. This is the stuff that won the Classic Cars magazine test - read more HERE

Car jacked up...

First time under the car, so interested to see what i would find. Thankfully no horror storys Looks like its had a light spray of underseal in Japan at some point, just in the wheel arches....

Fairly clean underneath, few small surface rust spots, nothing i'm concerned about though ...

So once again, totally genuine and original, well happy

Last edited by RichW; 12-08-2017 at 15:06..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichW For This Useful Post:
milosavljevicm (08-09-2019), Mita (25-06-2015)
Old 23-06-2015, 11:26   #88
RichW

My Car
So onto the messy job, and this the cleanest part by a long shot. Test fit to see how far this tube reached...

The good news is past a number of other access holes, you can see the brass end in the shot through the hole....

I test fired the cavity waxer into a clear bottle to see the results...

That was with just one pass. Outstanding

And so it started. I fed the tube up into the various box sections as far as it would go, and fired the gun as i withdrew the tube. I did this 3-4 times on each section, overlapping the last section done by as much as 50% each time. I fed the hose through at different directions too, and also spun the tube in my fingers (it does not need to be screwed tight in the nozzle of the gun). The aim to get total coverage.

At 6 bar pressure the wax oil is a vapour as it comes out the nozzle. If you loosely put your hand around the tip, and give a quick fire of the gun, your hand is soaked in the stuff. Really is remarkable. I've played with the original waxoyl and a hand pump gun back in the day. Todays method is professionalism 100 times over compared to that.

After a couple of runs down the rear chassis legs i decided it would be easier to remove the filler pipe shield as theres a slotted hole behind there which makes for good access. Its not so easy to see, but the threads on this bolt were wet with wax..

You can see where the wax has spray out the slotted hole on my previous passes. You can also see the flawed design which holds mud around the filler pipe slowly rotting it away if left...

Heres what is was left with upon removal .....

You can see the wax leaking out from the previous two passes....

On the other side of the car, i removed 3 of the exhaust mountings so i could gently push the exhaust out of the way and gain access to that slot.

Part way through, things getting messy....

DO NOT KINK THE PIPE!!!

If you do the pressurized air has no where to go apart from out the emergency vent at the top of the gun. This makes for messy times....

Not an issue here, but i had close call with the door open and the cars interior exposed at one point. Luckily the angle of the gun meant the wax was ejected between the A pillar and open drivers door, all over the bonnet No harm done, but it would have ruined the seats had i not been so lucky.

Last edited by RichW; 10-08-2017 at 17:38..
Old 23-06-2015, 11:27   #89
RichW

My Car
So onto examples of the waxing, you can see it dripping out here ...

Box section under the main body before....

After....

Box section just infront of the pedal box...

After....

Moving onto the cills.....

Looking at these pics now, i see theres actually a double layer here. You can see the clip holding on the side skirt on in the lower layer. This is where the wax really needs to be, so i'll be having another bash when i do the front of the car and making sure the nozzle pokes through the second set of holes...

After a good going over with the tube, i fitted the normal nozzle and test fired it into mid air. WOW It was like a pressure washer

I then followed up the tube spraying, by blasting each of the box sections with the gun on its own, just to make double sure each section was saturated

You can see the penetration by the wax oil seeping out....

So all in all a great days work. I'm leaving the car a few days to dry out, then i'll be giving her a wash and moving onto the next part of the undersealing.

And of course the link to the updated TME page on my website... That is HERE ----> http://www.evolutionize.co.uk/the-to...n-edition.html

Cheers

Last edited by RichW; 12-08-2017 at 10:10..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichW For This Useful Post:
InsBro (14-10-2015), milosavljevicm (08-09-2019), staffi (23-06-2015)
Old 23-06-2015, 11:48   #90
staffi
TOO many posts.......

Awesome update Rich, looks nice & clean under there bud and now with some good protection
staffi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to staffi For This Useful Post:
RichW (23-06-2015)
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: