My MR FQ-400 build - Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum

Go Back   Mitsubishi Lancer Register Forum > General Stuff > Picture & Video Gallery

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:23   #1
ST53VEN
White FQ400

Car: FQ-400 In white #37
My Car
My MR FQ-400 build

I find reading build threads very interesting no matter how big or small so i thought i would let people know about mine.
I had some bad luck some time ago with my FQ-400. I had the the turbo bearings fail right at the end of the warranty but Mitsubishi replaced it with another GT30 turbo from Owen Developments that are fitted to the cars. I made sure they were going to change the oil aswell, in fact i got them to change every lubricant on the car as it was coming up for a service anyway. I was happy so i booked it in for a remap for when i got the car back. I took it to Russ Paton when he was at Wallace Performance and much to my disappointment the car was down on power! Only running 360bhp! So we started a new map and Russ being the gent he is stayed back to 1 AM to finish it. He managed 411bhp for the time being until we did more. Anyway on the way home i put my foot down when i got out of town and it started to knock! I stopped and turned the engine off and had a look to see if i could see anything. Nothing so i started it up again and it was fine on idle but when i revved it started to knock. I drove it home very gentle so it wouldnt knock as it was late at night and i didnt have anyone to help me out. The next day i had a look and i removed the rocker cover as i thought it was coming from there. Nope all was fine. I was due offshore the next day so i got it back over to Russ so we could find out what it was while i was away and hopefully fix it! As you will see from the pic's it wasnt good! #4 Big end and main bearing had picked up and damaged the crank! I was gutted! It ******** me of so much i actually nearly sold the car with the damaged engine. I was liking the RS4 at the time so i was going to buy one of them. Test drove one and it just wasnt the same. Wasnt near as much of a drivers car as the Evo! So i decided i would keep it. My options were rebuild the engine the way it was or stroker it. Well i bought a 2.3 short block and got that fitted at WP as i never had time. Russ mapped it and we had 454bhp and the car flew! I then bought a Ross Sport GT3586HTA turbo kit for it. As i was fitting it i checked the engine code as there was a very useful thread that Rog put up listing engine codes. It turned out mine was TJ which was a 4 engine known for crank walk! Obviously not happy with this i removed the engine and managed to get it sorted it out.

I then stripped my original FQ-400 block and sent it to Norris Designs and Si sorted me out with a cracking deal! I went for his 2.3 1000+BHP kit with long balance shaft removal kit and new pumps. I also got a Cosworth head gasket and head studs from him. I know all Norris built engines are usually blue but Si got it done black for me as wanted everything in my engine bay to be black or white.

The engine arrived and the quality of the build was great! Just what i wanted! I bought an AMS CNC head and when it arrived i started putting the engine together.

I needed parts powder coated so Steve (D2) on here pointed me in the direction of Keith at PPS in Inverurie. I ended up being a regular customer taking boxes of stuff over for coating. I looked at the car with the engine and gearbox out and thought it looked a bit sorry for itself and being a special car it deserved better. Getting inspiration from many build threads on here i stripped everything i could out of the engine bay. I didnt want the air-con fitted so it went along with anything else.

The under seal that was on the car was a mess. Obviously sprayed on as it was everywhere! I removed it all and decided to spray the engine bay. It turned out really good but then under the car was a mess! I stripped everything off the chassis. I cleaned the whole of the underside of the car and sprayed it with white stone chip. This was the worst part of the build and took alot of time! There were then loads more parts for powder coating and while they were away i decided with the new spec i needed to upgrade the drive train. I started with a RS diff kit from Ross Sport with up rated bushes. Then i bought Kenny1's RS gearbox with 4:11 final drive which needed rebuilt. I did some research and found Nigel Bridger at Central garage in Glenkindie which wasnt far from me. So i took the gearbox and transfer box which only had 26000 miles on it for a full strip down, inspection and replacement of all bearings. I just wanted piece of mind nothing else was going to go wrong. So Nigel did the inspection and replaced two gears and some synchro's. He also noticed there was a small hairline crack in the bell housing but he had a spare. He also checked the pre load which was ok and blasted the casings for a nice finish. Top job from Nigel and great service. I would highly recommend him for transmission work!

I then started cleaning all my suspension arms which were a mess. The hubs looked rusty so i removed the bearings and ABS sensors which all broke! And sent the hubs to be powder coated. I was shocked when i saw the prices for bearings and speed sensors! £1000+ for 4 bearings and £1000+ for the sensors!!! Ross sorted me out with new ones for a great price! Im a perfectionist as it is and after going this far i wasnt going to let anything old or rusty be on the car. I really wanted it in mint condition and better than new! You will see anything that was possible to be powder coated was. PPS did an awesome job and i even got them to do my wheels. You will see by the pics all the stuff that got coated.

I then bought some other parts, all of them had to be the best available. I bought, Driven innovations inlet manifold, Ross Sport 3" intercooler pipes, Spark tech Pro12 ignition system, evo 6 Koyo rad with hoses, front and rear whiteline ARB's, neverneverman drop links, Perrin stout mounts, HSD Coilovers, engine and gearbox mountings, ID2000 injectors, S90 throttle body, PTFE inlet gaskets, FullBlown fuel pump, -8 braided fuel hoses and a Exedy triple plate clutch which the experts on here helped me decide on.

With parts arriving every day i started getting things together and fitted the engine and gearbox. Then we put our house up for sale and sold very quickly! So i had a month to get everything finished! That month (December) i was out in the garage at silly hours trying to get things done. Couldnt feel my fingers most of the time! It came to the day before we were moving out and the Mrs was in packing stuff while i was working on the car! My granda arrived with the removal truck and with the help of friends managed to load all the stuff in the house while i kept working away. The day we had to be out of the house and i was pretty much done! I let it down off the axle stands and pushed her out of the garage onto my nabours drive as he let me keep it there until a came to pick it up the next day with a trailer.

I got it to my mums house and did the rest of the little parts that needed done. Now the car is with Russ at Performance HQ getting a new map, geometry set up and a couple of other little bits done. I should be picking the car up this week all set up and hopefully it will be happy days from now on. I will post results up when its done and i will upload pics when ever i get a chance.

Here is the full spec of the car, I think i have noted everything!

AMS CNC head,
Supertech 1mm over Inconel exhaust valves
Supertech 1mm over stainless steel intake valves
GSC beehive valve springs
Manganese bronze valve guides
GSC S2 cams

Norris built 2.3 1000hp+ short block,
Manley I beam 150mm con rods
ND forged billet steel 100mm stroke crankshaft
ND spec JE 85.5 piston kit
Cleevite bottom end bearing set
Mitsubishi oil pump with ND Long balance shaft removal kit
Mitsubishi Evo 9 sump

Ross Sport GT3586 HTA turbo kit (750bhp)

Engine parts,
Milltek 3" turbo back exhaust with decat
Driven Innovations inlet manifold (modified)
PTFE Inlet manifold gasket matched to head
3 Port boost solenoid
Mocal oil cooler
Evo 6 Koyo radiator
1.3mm Cosworth head gasket
Cosworth head studs
3mm lash adjusters
S90 throttle body
Perrin intercooler
Ross Sport 3" intercooler pipes
Tial BOV
HKS timing belt
Fluid Damper crank pulley
Sparktech Pro-12 COP kit
powerflex engine and gearbox mountings
Silicone coolant hoses
Ralli-Art low temp thermostat
HKS adjustable vernier cam pulleys
Non AC alternator belt

Fueling,
ID2000 injectors
Full Blown twin intank Walbro's
-8 supply line
HKS 11mm fuel rail
Sard Fuel regulator
-8 inline fuel filter

Motec M800 OEM ECU

Drive train,
RS gearbox fully rebuilt with 4:11 final drive
Exedy triple plate clutch
Fully rebuilt ACD transfer box
New evo 9 RS diff with drive shafts
Uprated diff bushes

Suspension,
HSD coilovers
Whiteline front and rear anti-roll bars
Nevernever man drop links
Perrin stout mount kit.

Brakes,
FQ-400 Alcon 6 pot callipers and 2 piece discs
Standard brembo rear callipers
Camskill drilled and grooved rear discs
EBC Blue NDX compound pads front and rear
Hell stainless braided hoses front and rear
Attached Images

Last edited by ST53VEN; 16-05-2011 at 10:05..
ST53VEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 02:48   #2
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
More pics,
Attached Images

Last edited by ST53VEN; 10-05-2011 at 10:44..
Old 10-05-2011, 03:05   #3
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
Some of the Evo 4 engine coming out
Attached Images

Last edited by ST53VEN; 10-05-2011 at 10:53..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 03:13   #4
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
Engine bay being done.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 03:20   #5
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
Parts going for powder coating.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 03:32   #6
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
Finished results.
Attached Images

Last edited by ST53VEN; 10-05-2011 at 05:03..
Old 10-05-2011, 05:12   #7
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
More coated parts
Attached Images

Last edited by ST53VEN; 10-05-2011 at 10:56..
Old 10-05-2011, 05:22   #8
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
Now some engine pics!
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 05:33   #9
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
More engine pics
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ST53VEN For This Useful Post:
Bio (20-09-2013)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:40   #10
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
I will add more pics later, Im tired! At least i know how to re size the pics now!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:59   #11
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
More engine pics. Valve timing was set up using a timing disc and DTI gauge and adjusted as required.
Attached Images

Last edited by ST53VEN; 11-05-2011 at 03:09..
Old 10-05-2011, 07:22   #12
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
I noticed with the new head being ported there was quite a lip on the exhaust manifold. So i took a good bit off it to ensure the gases could escape easily without restriction.

Same with the inlet manifold. Although this manifold has the best proven results, there was some swarf still attached inside where the injectors sit. Also when i fitted an injector i found it would restrict a good spray of fuel into the head. So i opened it up which should allow a better spray from the injector and allow a better air/fuel mixture going into the combustion chamber.

Gaskets were also matched to the head.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 07:42   #13
nplatenkamp
Senior User

My Car
GREAT JOB! Looks awesome. Thah will be really entertaining....

I am planning to do my Evo 6 underside soon. Only problem is time.
nplatenkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42   #14
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
GT3586HTA Turbo kit thanks to Ross Sport. Good for 750bhp!
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 07:47   #15
ST53VEN
White FQ400

My Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by nplatenkamp View Post
GREAT JOB! Looks awesome. Thah will be really entertaining....

I am planning to do my Evo 6 underside soon. Only problem is time.
Thanks mate, Yeah it will be entertaining watching me try to drive it! Going to take it easy and get used to it slowly though and going to get somepractice on track days.

Its alot harder work than i thought! Im just so glad it over and done with. Well worth it when you see the finished result!
Mitsubishi Lancer Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: